SRAM :(

Old June 6th 05, 11:31 PM
Ride-A-Lot

Default SRAM :(

Well, I got a letter from SRAM today:

http://www.schnauzers.ws/sramletter.jpg

It doesn't look like they are going to give me a new derailleur. They
said it went into the spokes. Yeh, after it broke the f*ck off the damn
hanger! I swear that was the second ride on it. The thing was hanging
off the bike for the five mile walk out banging into the spokes as I
walked. I just don't have the energy to make them understand. Does
this look like a result of banging into the spokes?

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/imag...d/IMG_2285.jpg
http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/imag...d/IMG_2286.jpg

They said they'll work with my LBS to get me an affordable replacement.
What does that mean? If it means cheap, as in "at cost" then fine.
Although, it doesn't matter because I have to get a new one anyway since
I have too much invested in the shifters.

Oh well, looks like a trip to the shop soon.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old June 7th 05, 12:34 AM
Bill Sornson

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
[...]

Assuming your LBS /is/ local (and you're on good terms with them), I'd have
gone there first. My experience has been that manufacturers are more
willing to work with their distributors than directly with...um, real
people. Helps to have someone run interference for you, at least initially.

Hope they make it right, or close enough... BS

Old June 7th 05, 12:52 AM
Ride-A-Lot

Bill Sornson wrote:
Ride-A-Lot wrote:

[...]

Around here all the LBS's are so busy fixing road bikes, they don't pay
much attention to the MTBers. That's why I usually do all the work
myself. The one that I usually go to is 30 minutes away. I could walk
in there once a week, they know who I am, they've been on my Website,
they've seen me out and about, and they'll still act like "who the hell
are you". LBS's here are big on teams. They come first. The one
closest to me (I'm going to name names now) is Danzisien and Quigley.
They are a Cherry Hill institution filled with the nastiest sales people
selling the most expensive crap you can find. Heck, they are catering
to Cherry Hill snobs who just want to look the part. There is one guy
in there I can have a converation with, but he gets yelled at for it.

*Sigh*. This is not a MTB friendly bike store area.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old June 7th 05, 01:05 AM
Bill Sornson

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
Bill Sornson wrote:
Ride-A-Lot wrote:

[...]

Ah, totally different situation then. My point was if you'd bought your
bike from a local shop AND/OR they sold you the derailleur, then the
"proper" first step is to return to where you bought it. Different deal if
you bought it on-line and installed it yourself, I suppose. (Still,
something like this would have me leaning toward boycotting the brand from
now on, IF they don't stand behind their product at least somewhat.)

'luck, B

Old June 7th 05, 02:23 AM
JohnH

Oh well, looks like a trip to the shop soon.

What caused the damage? We have "Derailurer Hanger Eater Sticks" on the
trails often around here, especially after windstorms. These *******s jump
up and can bust up a drivetrain with surprising ease.

Another common cause for this is to have it in 1st gear and hit a drop - the
chain will fall into the spokes and snap the hanger right off. At least
this cause is preventable

The solution for me has been to carry a spare hanger. The Derailurer Hanger
Eater Sticks can sense them and therefore avoid me now

Despite pretty severe bending, it's unusual for me to see a derailurer which
can't be bent back into useable shape.

Old June 7th 05, 02:39 AM
Ride-A-Lot

JohnH wrote:
Oh well, looks like a trip to the shop soon.

What caused the damage? We have "Derailurer Hanger Eater Sticks" on the
trails often around here, especially after windstorms. These *******s jump
up and can bust up a drivetrain with surprising ease.

Another common cause for this is to have it in 1st gear and hit a drop - the
chain will fall into the spokes and snap the hanger right off. At least
this cause is preventable

The solution for me has been to carry a spare hanger. The Derailurer Hanger
Eater Sticks can sense them and therefore avoid me now

Despite pretty severe bending, it's unusual for me to see a derailurer which
can't be bent back into useable shape.

No sticks at all. The trail is all 3" - 4" round babyheads firmly
planted in the ground. Pretty much the whole trail is like this:

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/imag...d/IMG_2269.jpg

They did not pop up and hit it. I was in the middle ring and about the
middle on the rear going up a rather steep uphill section. Again it's
pretty technical so I popped out of the saddle to get a bit more torque
from my legs and pop! That was it.

I just bought a Surly singulator which I plan to carry in my 'bak now so
that I can turn the FS into an SS to get me out of the woods.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old June 7th 05, 03:33 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
JohnH wrote:
[...]

I hate to be the retro-grouch here... I'm not even old enough to be one.
But the first mistake was the FS. Shifting isn't as static on them.

On a serious note, the standing up on the pedals caused the whole thing to
happen. Are you sure the derailleur broke off the hangar? How are you
sure? Which part actually broke off? FS's typically suffer from poor
shifting when the housing is too short or is put in a position where it has
lots of dynamic movement, causing ghost shifting.

Without knowing any more details, my first impression is that the limit
screws weren't set correctly, causing the chain to grind behind the
cassette. But I wasn't there... please enlighten me.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old June 7th 05, 03:49 AM
Ride-A-Lot

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
Ride-A-Lot wrote:

JohnH wrote:

[...]

Take a look at the pics in the original post. It split at the bolt.
The bike was already in gear when I hit the climb. There was no skip,
rub, or ghost shift. It was in gear and running smooth. It had been
running smooth for the first 16 miles on the same terrain.

Without knowing any more details, my first impression is that the limit
screws weren't set correctly, causing the chain to grind behind the
cassette. But I wasn't there... please enlighten me.

I would have noticed that or there would have been some chain suck
prior. None of that happened. One of the guys in the club is 6'3 230
pounds and all muscle. He used to break Shimanos all the time at the
bolt before using breakaway bolts. He's the type who just muscles his
way through stuff. I'm not that strong (or maybe I just under estimate
myself).

Maybe I should just learn to ride my SS on trails like that.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old June 7th 05, 04:17 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

JohnH wrote:

[...]

My apologies! I totally clicked the first link and forgot about the other
two.

The bike was already in gear when I hit the climb. There was no skip,

I wasn't saying that you were shifting... I was saying that pedaling out the
saddle could have caused a ghost shift, but as you say, there was none.
After having looked at the pictures, it looks like a brittle fracture of the
metal. I'll submit these to rec.bicycles.tech and see what they say. I'm
as puzzled as you are.

rub, or ghost shift. It was in gear and running smooth. It had been
running smooth for the first 16 miles on the same terrain.

Without knowing any more details, my first impression is that the
limit screws weren't set correctly, causing the chain to grind
behind the cassette. But I wasn't there... please enlighten me.

I would have noticed that or there would have been some chain suck
prior. None of that happened. One of the guys in the club is 6'3 230
pounds and all muscle. He used to break Shimanos all the time at the
bolt before using breakaway bolts. He's the type who just muscles his
way through stuff. I'm not that strong (or maybe I just under
estimate myself).

He's having another problem, because no matter how strong or heavy a rider
is, a derailleur isn't under stress from the chain. The cassette takes the
full load of the rider's weight and power, and the derailleur only guides
the chain on near-frictionless pulleys, so no amount of rider torque could
directly cause a derailleur failure.

Sorry about assuming things as I did.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old June 7th 05, 11:26 AM
Ride-A-Lot

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
snip

Sorry about assuming things as I did.

Not a problem. Thanks for your help. I would definately like to know
if my assumptions that the cooling process after molding went too fast.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws