Munibar: The making of a Mountain Uni Handlebar

Old January 5th 09, 07:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
corbin

Default Munibar: The making of a Mountain Uni Handlebar

Howdy! I posted a very detailed posting on my blog about a new handlebar
I made for my geared muni:

http://tinyurl.com/8anj9b

Please see the link above for details, but I'll also copy a few
pictures below. The blog also has the sketchup file for you to download
and play with the design in 3d.

Overall, I like the design; it works well for steep hills. The drawback
is that it is difficult to brake with, and I think I got finer grained
control with the spooner and the plastic seat handle.

[image:
http://www.corbinstreehouse.com/blog...g-1359-tm.jpg]

[image:
http://www.corbinstreehouse.com/blog...hookup-tm.jpg]

[image:
http://www.corbinstreehouse.com/blog...g-1358-tm.jpg]

corbin

--
corbin

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
Old January 5th 09, 08:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

Interesting set up.

I agree with you in your blog post, I think more of an angle would work
better - the handle holds look too flat.

I need to find some friends nearby that weld! I really like that road
handlebar you made for your geared 36.

--
siafirede

'DCuni' (http://www.dcuni.com/blog) - my blog about Unicycling in
Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland
*James* = my name
Old January 5th 09, 09:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
corbin

siafirede;1164828 wrote:
Interesting set up.

I agree with you in your blog post, I think more of an angle would work
better - the handle holds look too flat.

I need to find some friends nearby that weld! I really like that road
handlebar you made for your geared 36.

Yeah, that one works great! I wouldn't mind adjustability, which is
what I was trying to fix with this version by attaching bar ends (which
aren't welded on yet -- I just ordered a set to play with).

corbin

--
corbin

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
Old January 6th 09, 02:37 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steveyo

Corbin, prior to RTL, I copied 'Jim's (munivision) handle setup'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=68474), and what
you've got there is a fair duplicate, up to a point.

Picture is from Jim's thread, and you can see it's a T-bar and two
pegs.
[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/att...=12056968 68]

I had an alum. plate drilled to fit the front four seat base bolts.
Then a chunk of alum. 10 speed handlebar welded on as the lower curved
piece, like you have, and then capped with a short T-bar. Onto this
T-bar, I mounted a bike aerobar, instead of pegs, facing forward, and it
makes for a nice handle for the coker. (see lower pic)

Looking at this latest handle of yours, you've essentially made the
same T-bar Jim and I have, with two added horizontal pieces going from
the T part to the seat. If you made one with just the T, couldn't you
replace those welded-on handles with bar ends? Or is that what you'd
planned?

Seeing what you've done, I realize I could have a nice compact muni
handle with just a set of rearward-pointing bar ends. I believe that
T-shape is very versatile, offering many options for different kinds of
riding.

|Filename: RTL4_steve.jpg |

steveyo

steveyo
...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

- a 'few uni race write-ups'
(http://home.roadrunner.com/~rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)
- muni and kokopelli uni 't-shirts, mugs and stickers'
(http://www.cafepress.com/steveyo)
Old January 6th 09, 08:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
corbin

steveyo;1165054 wrote:
Corbin, prior to RTL, I copied
Looking at this latest handle of yours, you've essentially made the
same T-bar Jim and I have, with two added horizontal pieces going from
the T part to the seat. If you made one with just the T, couldn't you
replace those welded-on handles with bar ends? Or is that what you'd
planned?

Yeah, his design was some of the inspiration for me to create a new
handlebar.

Ultimately adding a T slot in the front was my plan; I really want
both things --- an extendable handlebar in the front, and some backward
facing bar ends pointing towards the seat. The ones close to the seat
are great for steep hill climbs, while the forward extensions are great
for long distance riding. But you have a GREAT point I didn't think of;
why not add in BOTH! I could have a small set of bar ends pointing
backwards, and a set pointing forwards. That would give a lot more
adjustment options. This would also allow adding in (or removing) the
plastic handlebar depending on what one desires for a particular ride.

I'll try welding that up as my next project. I really need a TIG welder
so I can stick some alum together, but I don't yet want to fork out the
$1k to get a good one.

corbin

--
corbin

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
Old January 7th 09, 12:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
scott ttocs

Corbin,

Since you are working with steel components, how do you finish them to
avoid rust?

Do you do anything special to weld them? What type of welding rod do
you use? What type of tubing do you start with?

I agree that a TIG torch would be nice but they are $$$. I have an
oxy-acetylene setup that would work for steel parts. Any advice you
have would be appreciated.

In theory you can weld Aluminum with oxy-hydrogen, but TIG works so
much better these half-measures are probably not worth the bother.

Thanks!

--
scott ttocs

FS: Racks, Cranks, Handlebar Bag, Old School Mountain Bike Handlebars Gary Jacobson[_2_] Marketplace 0 November 23rd 08 03:19 PM
Australians making sausage out of handlebar and spoke tariffs [email protected] Techniques 7 November 7th 07 12:12 PM
Making it fit Marian Techniques 15 October 30th 07 08:55 PM
How to adjust mountain bike handlebar height? John Burns UK 7 February 5th 06 03:14 AM
Making a Fun Box munimanpete Unicycling 7 September 15th 04 06:50 AM