KH Bearing Issues?

Old January 7th 09, 01:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unigoat

Default KH Bearing Issues?

Has anyone had issues with recent KH bearings (07/08)? A quick site
search didn't turn up much.

My 07/08 KH 24 only has about 1/2 a dozen rides on it and the bearings
feel like they are notched like a bad bicycle headset. I've been very
particular about not overtightening the bearing caps. When the caps are
removed and the wheel sits in the frame there is a bit of gritchiness
(not actually a word, but I think an accurate description) which is
quite magnified when the caps are installed and tightened very slightly
(just barely past finger tight).

I think it is a bad bearing (or two), but I'm not sure if it could be
the bearing holders. It seems a bit weird to me that the bearings would
be bad so soon- my KH 29 hasn't had any problems in 2+ years.

Any ideas? Has anyone successfully repacked the green seal bearings?

--
unigoat
Old January 7th 09, 02:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
bouin-bouin

unigoat;1166164 wrote:
Has anyone had issues with recent KH bearings (07/08)? A quick site
search didn't turn up much.

My 07/08 KH 24 only has about 1/2 a dozen rides on it and the bearings
feel like they are notched like a bad bicycle headset. I've been very
particular about not overtightening the bearing caps. When the caps are
removed and the wheel sits in the frame there is a bit of gritchiness
(not actually a word, but I think an accurate description) which is
quite magnified when the caps are installed and tightened very slightly
(just barely past finger tight).

I think it is a bad bearing (or two), but I'm not sure if it could be
the bearing holders. It seems a bit weird to me that the bearings would
be bad so soon- my KH 29 hasn't had any problems in 2+ years.

Any ideas? Has anyone successfully repacked the green seal bearings?

First KH ISIS bearings (22x42x12mm) were made by QU-AX and built in
Russia with poor quality. They have blue sealings.

Latests KH productions are using an other bearing manufacturing with
green sealings. It seems that there are built by Nimbus from around mid
2007

Which ones are you using ?

--
bouin-bouin

MUNI 24" & 29"
Old January 7th 09, 03:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Harley

I have the blue sealed bearings on my 07 KH 24 and to date have had no
problems with them. Unfortunatly what your describing does sound like a
bearing problem. Any chance that they got excessivly wet or run through
very sandy conditions?

If the seals can be removed then the bearings could be cleaned,
inspected and repacked, however I have not done this with mine so am no
expert.

--
Harley

Always remember: With patience and perseverance you can **** a hole
through a rock.
Old January 7th 09, 04:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
brycer1968

unigoat;1166164 wrote:
Has anyone had issues with recent KH bearings (07/08)? A quick site
search didn't turn up much.

My 07/08 KH 24 only has about 1/2 a dozen rides on it and the bearings
feel like they are notched like a bad bicycle headset. I've been very
particular about not overtightening the bearing caps. When the caps are
removed and the wheel sits in the frame there is a bit of gritchiness
(not actually a word, but I think an accurate description) which is
quite magnified when the caps are installed and tightened very slightly
(just barely past finger tight).

I think it is a bad bearing (or two), but I'm not sure if it could be
the bearing holders. It seems a bit weird to me that the bearings would
be bad so soon- my KH 29 hasn't had any problems in 2+ years.

Any ideas? Has anyone successfully repacked the green seal bearings?

I know the green rubber seals can be removed carefully by carefully
hooking a probe around the seal edge untilk you bear on the brass plate
behind the seal and pulling up gently. If it were me, It feels like
rebuilding a lightbulb and I'd get new bearings.
I got a couple of bad Nimbus ISIS bearings with excessive play (black
seals) and replaced them with the green sealed ones. They seem a little
better, but I'm not surprised to learn others have problems here too.
One strategy is to order a couple of sets to have some spares.
Brycer1968

--
brycer1968
Old January 7th 09, 04:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Smilymarco

bouin-bouin;1166186 wrote:
First KH ISIS bearings (22x42x12mm) were made by QU-AX and built in
Russia with poor quality. They have blue sealings.

Latests KH productions are using an other bearing manufacturing with
green sealings. It seems that there are built by Nimbus from around mid
2007

Which ones are you using ?

Never had problems with the blue sealed ones... i never had any
problems with my bearings and im riding for about 10 years now.
Maybe my unis are not living long enough to get problems with them

--
Smilymarco

'Municycle.com' (http://www.municycle.com)
Lesen - Denken - Posten

Issues... Divebomber Unicycling 54 January 10th 08 02:56 PM
Issues... Unibugg Unicycling 0 January 2nd 08 04:41 AM
Bearing problem: Stuck/Shifted bearing Evan Byrne Unicycling 26 August 3rd 07 07:01 PM
Issues, What Issues? Tom Kunich Racing 13 December 17th 05 03:30 PM
back issues of `Ride' - Issues 14 and 17 David Pascoe Australia 2 November 14th 03 11:31 AM