Dynamo/LED power conditioning

Old May 12th 18, 03:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Dynamo/LED power conditioning

On 5/12/2018 9:17 AM, David Scheidt wrote:
John B. wrote:
:On Fri, 11 May 2018 23:35:50 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

:On 5/11/2018 4:10 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
: Frank Krygowski wrote:
: :On 5/10/2018 11:19 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
: : Frank Krygowski wrote:
: : :On 5/10/2018 6:15 PM, John B. wrote:
: : :
: : : I suspect that you, like I, are what might be called a sensible rider.
: : : RE, door zones, just slow down a bit so you have time to dodge the
: : : door if necessary.
: :
: : :Um... no, that's not sensible.
: :
: : :Consider what happens if you're riding just 15 kph and a driver pops his
: : :door open as you pass his rear bumper. There's no way to stop in time.
: :
: : :If you're lucky, you'll hit his door squarely and crumple beneath it. If
: : :you're unlucky, you'll snag the door edge with your right handlebar, the
: : :bike will steer to the right, your body will be thrown down to the left,
: : :and the motor vehicle you were worried about will run over you.
: :
: : :Unlike mountain lion attacks, dooring really is a danger. Most states
: : :don't record it as a car-bike collision, because they record those only
: : :if the car was moving. But Chicago did keep track, and found that
: : :something like 20% of car-bike crashes were doorings.
: :
: : And we have a $1000 fine for causing an accident by dooring -- and the
: : cops write the tickets.
: :
: : on't ride in the door zone. Just don't.
: :
: : Yeah, you live in smallsville. If I don't ride in the door zone, it
: : takes me three times as long to get to work.
:
: :Why are those the only choices? Details, please. What happens if you
: :move a few feet left?
:
: My commute invovles riding past a mile (literally, one mile) of cars
: that are stopped at stop signs or lights. Riding between them and
: parked cars gets me to the light or sign in one cycle. Moving to the
: left puts me in stopped traffic.
:
:OK. That's an unusual situation, one that I think is quite rare. We
:don't have that situation. And in most of my metro area, if that did pop
:up on a certain street, there would be a selection of alternative routes
:that would let me avoid it.
:
:If that's what you're dealing with, I'd suggest riding _really_ slow,
:and perhaps making noise as you ride. As I hinted to John, at anything
:like a normal cycling speed, you cannot possibly stop in time if a car
:door pops open as you pass the rear bumper.

:Somebody wrote, above, "And we have a $1000 fine for causing an
:accident by dooring -- and the cops write the tickets."

:What is this intended to mean? You can't trust the cops?

It means the cops write tickets for people who door cyclists. Until a
few years ago, it was hard to get them to even show up to a dooring.

It also means that doorings are far from imaginary, even if they are
illegal.

In fact, if cops stopped ignoring doorings and started ticketing, it was
probably because A) doorings were recognized as a serious problem, and
B) some advocacy group mounted a successful campaign to treat the
problem as serious. Cops don't usually start enforcement campaigns on
their own.

All that makes it even less wise for a cyclist to ride in a way that
makes him vulnerable to doorings.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 12th 18, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

AMuzi wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Our customer risked death riding home after work one day:
http://isthmus.com/news/news/cops-ti...t-by-car-door/

followed MPD's 'bayonet the wounded' citation.

Besides bicycles are not magic. Society is still what it is:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...317-story.html

Regarding the first story, you could almost imagine the "3ft" law as being
passed in order to discourage cyclists from riding in the door zone, to
increase their safety. However, without another law making it illegal to
door somebody, you end up with people being fined for being doored.

Old May 12th 18, 11:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

: : Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Sounds like progress. Several years ago I described riding past more
than a mile of cars on a typical commute (not even properly in the
city), and you simply refused to concede that such a thing was possible,
never having observed it in your global travels.

Dude, it's what anyone who rides in ****ing city experiences every
day.

Why the **** don't I just walk then?

Old May 13th 18, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Sat, 12 May 2018 03:47:52 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
wrote:

Why the **** don't I just walk then?

That's what I do when the street is unusable.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old May 13th 18, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

: : Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I was being nice. I'm still pretty skeptical. Example: David says the
backup is "one mile (literally one mile)" but he says if he rides past
in the door zone he gets gets to the light in one cycle.

The most common traffic light cycles are one minute, split evenly
between the two directions. OK, maybe this light has longer cycles - say
two minutes instead of one. Is he really averaging 30 miles per hour as
he rides past one mile of cars in the door zone?

And I'm still curious about which city he's riding - and now, which city
you're riding in.

But again, I think such a situation must be pretty rare. Give me more
information to educate me.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 13th 18, 02:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

: : Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

It would seem hard to judge light cycles from a mile away.

The most common traffic light cycles are one minute, split evenly
between the two directions. OK, maybe this light has longer cycles -
say two minutes instead of one. Is he really averaging 30 miles per
hour as he rides past one mile of cars in the door zone?

And I'm still curious about which city he's riding - and now, which
city you're riding in.

The backup I described was in Concord MA, waiting for a four-way stop --
it's not urban at all, but the streets are busy at rush hour. I also
described a backup nearly as long on the street where I used to live in
Lowell MA, which is urban, and split by a river with limited bridge
capacity.

I no longer either live or work in the same places, so I don't ride that
way much any more.

But again, I think such a situation must be pretty rare. Give me more
information to educate me.

Traffic congestion is a worldwide phenomenon. That you have managed to
avoid it is fortunate for you. Having to be at work right on time in
the morning makes life harder, and is something that one might not
notice even when travelling through a congested city.

Old May 13th 18, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

: : Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

typically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfPebMP6SMg

including a non-fatal door at 6:33. I skipped through the 18
minutes, noting there are bike stripes which weren't there
back when I ride North Clark from time to time. Overall, on
one street, you get a representational mix of urban commuter
joys and sorrows.

Nothing wrong with taking a lane when appropriate but it's
not always appropriate. Or reasonable.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 13th 18, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

My guess is that somewhere in your State's highway code is mention of
"causing an accident".

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 13th 18, 04:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

: : Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I'm retired and so don't have to be "at work right on time" but we do,
on occasion fly somewhere and the Airlines now require that a
passenger check in on time or they give his seat to someone else, so
the effect is the same.

So far I haven't found a burden... get up early enough to get to _ _
_ _ on time.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 13th 18, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Length of traffic isn’t that uncommon, I personally on my commute ride 1/2
mile on a road that at least once a week the traffic hits the 2 mile point
probably backs up to nearly 3! But while there are a few parked cars mostly
its loading only, living in london lots of places that hit that sort of
length, not any with continuous parked cars, I can think of, though I think
some of the North London streets might well fit.

Roger Merriman