Replace shifter cable

Old March 28th 19, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Default Replace shifter cable

On Thursday, March 28, 2019 at 10:37:52 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/28/2019 10:07 AM, AK wrote:
On Thursday, March 28, 2019 at 9:43:08 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/28/2019 9:04 AM, AK wrote:
I took my bike to a shop to have the shifter adjusted.

Often when I shifted to a new gear, I would hear a clicking sound.

The tech told me that my shifter cables were the metal type and that they stretched over time.

They have new ones that do not stretch.

I saw a video on replacing the cable and it looks like something I can do.

What are your thoughts?

None of that is true. Something happened, but not that.

He also made some adjustments and lubed the chain with something that smelled terrible.

Did it work well after? There are all sorts of lubricants
and people like what they like but most work just fine for
this application.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Yes, the clicking sound stopped.

Andy
Old March 28th 19, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Thursday, March 28, 2019 at 11:27:08 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/28/2019 10:04 AM, AK wrote:
I took my bike to a shop to have the shifter adjusted.

Often when I shifted to a new gear, I would hear a clicking sound.

The tech told me that my shifter cables were the metal type and that they stretched over time.

They have new ones that do not stretch.

I saw a video on replacing the cable and it looks like something I can do.

What are your thoughts?

Andrew and Jay have given your answers. I'll just add that I wonder
where the "tech" guy got his ideas.

It may be that he's like most guys, vulnerable to what Jobst used to
call the "male answer syndrome" - just make something up based on
whatever limited knowledge you may have, but never admit that you may
not know.

It also may be that he's got something he really wants to sell, and
recognizes that he can snag people with a fanciful sales pitch.

Metal bike cables do not stretch to any measurable degree. Other stuff
can happen to them, but not measurable stretch.

--
- Frank Krygowski

He told me it would be expensive to replace the cable. So I don't think he was trying to sell me something.

He charged $10 for the adjustment which I thought was fair.

Andy
Old March 28th 19, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/28/2019 10:04 AM, AK wrote:
[...]

Agreed.
Such little happiness can be bought for $10 now. Anywhere.

Old March 28th 19, 11:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 12:27:04 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 3/28/2019 10:04 AM, AK wrote:
[...]

While shift cables probably don't stretch, per se, I have noticed that
after installing a new cable and adjusting the shifting on the stand
that quite often after riding the bike for a few miles the shifters,
i.e. cables, require a bit of adjustment, usually tightening a click
or two on the adjustment.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old March 28th 19, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 3/28/2019 10:04 AM, AK wrote:
[...]

Well, in California the minimum salary is, I believe, $12/hour so $10
is nearly an hour's wages for a job that probably takes 10 minutes,
call it 15 minutes, that would be $40 an hour. Fair?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old March 28th 19, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

On 3/28/2019 10:04 AM, AK wrote:
[...]

Yes, I've noticed that too. I believe it comes from the cable taking
several shifting cycles to settle into its equilibrium position in the
housing where it goes around curves.

I rode my folding bike today. As I've mentioned, often after I unfold it
the index shifting is "off" for a while. It seems to gradually recover
as I ride. Sometimes (like a few days ago) I switch to friction for a
while to lessen my frustration.

In any case, I assume that's the same phenomenon at work, exacerbated by
the rather tight bends to which the folding process subjects the cables.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 28th 19, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/28/2019 10:04 AM, AK wrote:
[...]

Seems fair to me in general. I'm fine with skilled people making much
more than minimum wage.

This mechanic's explanation may have been dodgy, but if he's got the
skill to do the tune-up well, that should be worth something.

By contrast, paying the typical minimum wage worker even $12 per hour to
adjust your shifting would make little sense. Some of those guys are
maxed out trying to figure out how to get the hamburger patty on your bun.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 29th 19, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Weeks

On Thursday, March 28, 2019 at 5:48:16 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:

The tech told me that my shifter cables were the metal type and that they stretched over time.

They have new ones that do not stretch.

Metal bike cables do not stretch to any measurable degree. Other stuff
can happen to them, but not measurable stretch.

While shift cables probably don't stretch, per se, I have noticed that
after installing a new cable and adjusting the shifting on the stand
that quite often after riding the bike for a few miles the shifters,
i.e. cables, require a bit of adjustment, usually tightening a click
or two on the adjustment.

Yes, I've noticed that too. I believe it comes from the cable taking
several shifting cycles to settle into its equilibrium position in the
housing where it goes around curves.

- Frank Krygowski

This^^
As the cable inner "beds in" to the plastic lining the outer sheath, around curves, the inner becomes relatively longer in relation to the sheath. After initial settling in has occurred and been compensated for, things can be quite stable for a long time. Metal cable inners (and AFAIK they're *all* metal) can stretch slightly, but as they're subjected to tension well below their elastic limit, the stretch is completely reversible and doesn't amount to much.
Old March 29th 19, 03:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

On 3/28/2019 10:04 AM, AK wrote:
[...]

Except if it's a shop, there's overheads. Typical rule of thumb is that an
employee costs twice what you pay them, so it's a half hour's costs for a
job that takes 10 minutes.