post your homemade handlebars here!

Old December 7th 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munirocks

Default post your homemade handlebars here!

So my T7 snapped today, and I don't think I'll be getting another one
before Roger improves the design once more. I think he should at least
put them on sale now because of all the major flaws they have. Offering
a free reinforcement would be even better though. Instead he keeps
selling them as if there was nothing wrong with them. As a matter of
fact,

- They are all crooked,
- they all break at the same spot (mine lasted for about 7 months of
light use) and
- the bottle cage mounts come loose after the first couple of
kilometers.
- The powdercoating sucks too, by the way. And
- it is too heavy.

To sell that piece of crap for 70$/50€ as the most useful addition to
touring unicycles without any warning is quite impertinent IMHO. The
text "It has been developed over 1000s of miles of riding" even misleads
people to believe it would actually last for 1000s of km... Well,
unfortunately it doesn't. This might sound as if the T7 was all bad
which it isn't. It's just very faulty the way it is made now. Without
all the problems mentioned above it would definitely be the cat's ass.

I really wish Kris Holm would come up with a straight aluminum handle
that offers some sort of adjustability. Maybe with a possibility to put
aerobarish things on too. It would be a great addition to his KH36s...
Putting a T7 on those is a shame anyways because the colors don't match.
While I'm at it, it should be either black or silver, not blue, so it
would work with any frame color you choose...

|Filename: P071208_17.35lq.jpg |

munirocks

mono for bono
Old December 7th 08, 08:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
OneWheelLess

munirocks;1145196 wrote:
[...]

I hear ya, bro
It's not a horrible design, but they're underbuilt, overpriced and
poorly fabbed. It's made like an entry-level touring product, and should
be priced as such. It's not hard to design a better handle for mass
production. I'm not saying they should cease to exist, but fab it better
and sell it for $30, come out with a stronger, lighter design to fit the
current price point.

--
OneWheelLess

Seriously, the other wheel just fell off one day.
Old December 8th 08, 02:44 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gangstertaco

any one have tuts on how to make them i do no there is tuts on here but
i dont have a "spare" bike

--
gangstertaco

You can't learn if you can't understand. You can't understand if you
can't learn. Therefore you can learn if you can understand and you can
understand if you can learn....

Phil_on_uni wrote:
hey inflatable people are people too

Old December 8th 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
corbin

http://picasaweb.google.com/corbin.d...cyclesAndParts

lots of pictures.

--
corbin

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com

Old December 10th 08, 10:14 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
brycer1968

munirocks;1145196 wrote:
[...]

This is one way to strengthen an existing rail adaptor or T-7, but the
time to cut and weld the six plate steel gussets was a real pain and
makes fitting the seat post and seat more difficult. That said, it
makes has made the rail adaptor much stiffer than the stock adaptor.

|Filename: 046.JPG |

brycer1968
Old December 10th 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

This picture shows my road Coker's 'modified Wyganowski handle'
(http://unicycling.smugmug.com/galler...3733089_rKMHs). In my
approach, I mounted the handle as low as possible. Actually, I didn't
have a choice as it was made to fit the frame rather than the seat post.
I bought it used from a guy who was shorter than me.
- I put bar-ends on what was intended as a front bumper, creating my
"aero" position. It's only semi-aero, because I don't feel comfortable
in an extreme, pavement-eating position.
- The regular T-handle comes up near my seat bumper, as the basic
handle for upright riding.
- I also have access to the built-in seat handle for those steep
climbs.
- The bottle cage fits a large bottle, except when I had longer cranks
on there and had to lower the seat. Then Camelbak only!
- I used the bungee cords on the back to bring a backpack of clothes to
and from work. Not the most secure attachment on that rear bumper area,
but it worked.

That handle has served me well, and still does. I've tried the T7 and
find it in too neutral a position to work for me. Too high for any
aerodynamics, and too low to lean on, to take some weight off the seat.
It's just kind of there. The only thing I worry about with my Wyganowski
is how it's held together with two little bolts. If one of those breaks
while I'm in my aero position, it could be ugly!

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"False facts are frequently formed from figures fabricated from fear
fired fiction." -- Harper
Old December 11th 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
naturequack

Here's a pic of my set up (The Florian Green). Wish I could take credit
for it, but the high praise goes to Pete Perron. Of course, these
handlebars require that you get Pete to make you one of his "V" frames.
I really like these aero bars. They allow me to reach out farther
forward. Thanks to the "seat post" mount there is no flex in them when
I pull up on them while climbing hills. I set the "seat post" clamp
(really the handlebar clamp) just loose enough so that when I UPD the
handlbars can move enough not to break. As you can see from the torn
tape at the tip of the aero bars, I'm not a stranger to UPDs. Another
thing I like about these is that they are narrow enough not to bang up
my thighs when I do go cartwheeling off the front. There's space enough
to mount my b*ke computer. When I'm riding at night I wrap a head lamp
around the bars and I've got a head light.

Just doing my part to encourage all of you welders to get wild.

Geoff

|Filename: Handle 1.jpg |

naturequack

monocycle monstrosity
Old December 11th 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisk8r

Oh how I miss Florian Green! Maybe he and The Red Menace can roll on
down the road together some day!

As for the handles (and without voting for mine), I still think JC
takes the design cake.

--
unisk8r
Old December 11th 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Munivision

Here is my ultralight version. Actually shaved 2.5 lbs with a Wallis
base and aluminum bars over stock Coker seat, no bars

|Filename: RTLv30a.jpg |

Munivision

Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right!

new homemade unicycle iridemymuni Unicycling 42 December 27th 08 01:09 AM
Homemade BC w/plates MuniAddict Unicycling 51 September 29th 06 12:17 AM
new homemade giraffe dale_dale Unicycling 16 June 30th 06 02:01 AM
homemade FS frame unisk8r Unicycling 10 May 20th 04 04:13 AM
homemade airseat sockmonster Unicycling 3 April 25th 04 04:42 AM