FFS - it's only August!

Old August 12th 10, 06:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle
thefathippy

Default FFS - it's only August!

....yet I was swooped by a magpie today.

Tony F
Old August 12th 10, 06:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 11 Aug 2010 22:00:28 -0700 (PDT)
thefathippy wrote:
...yet I was swooped by a magpie today.

You are late, someone wrote to the Herald saying they got swooped on
Tuesday.

I haven't been swooped, maybe they don't think the 'bent is a bike?

Zebee
-not responsible for magpie prejudice
Old August 12th 10, 08:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tomasso[_6_]

"thefathippy" wrote in message
...yet I was swooped by a magpie today.

Tony F

I was swooped by a currawong last week, but I didn't think anyone would believe me.

I bet there was a magpie planning to swoop IT some time soon.

Pursued by a peewit, being menaced by a wagtail.

Etc.

T.

Old August 12th 10, 09:22 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Tserkezis

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

...yet I was swooped by a magpie today.

You are late, someone wrote to the Herald saying they got swooped on
Tuesday.

I haven't been swooped, maybe they don't think the 'bent is a bike?

Oh, I assure you, they do.

In my case it was last Thursday.

Was fortunate enough to see its shadow before I waved around my arms,
the dive-bombing was averted momentarily. That street in particular was
steep (downhill for that run), so I wasn't within range for too long.

I decided that going around the block was a good idea for the return
trip. I didn't fancy the pecking while grinding slowly uphill...
Old August 12th 10, 10:02 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

thefathippy wrote:

...yet I was swooped by a magpie today.

What took them so long? One of my sons was swooped about 3 weeks
ago, and I had my first swoop of the season 10 days ago.

I blame global warming. The magpies and spring flowers are less
sceptical about it than many humans.

John
Old August 13th 10, 05:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
ray[_2_]

thefathippy wrote:

...yet I was swooped by a magpie today.

Tony F

http://fat.ly/a67z7

They've been reported as early as July, and I've been bombed on Cup Day.
Mynahs and butcher birds are also frequent offenders, and tend to be more
accurate.
Spring is lovely, but also a time of rapid evasive action and alternate
routes. One bunch lives thirty metres from my front door and have been
known to stage strafing runs down the driveway. The neighbours feed the
little bludgers.
Climate change? Well, this of course is `absolute crap', a well known
public figure says so. Get those fake eyes and cable ties out. You have
been warned.
Cheers,
Ray

Old August 13th 10, 08:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC[_2_]

On 2010-08-13, ray (aka Bruce)
thefathippy wrote:

...yet I was swooped by a magpie today.

Tony F

http://fat.ly/a67z7

They've been reported as early as July, and I've been bombed on Cup Day.
Mynahs and butcher birds are also frequent offenders, and tend to be more
accurate.
Spring is lovely, but also a time of rapid evasive action and alternate
routes.

Bugger. My main route is 29km, but going around the block makes it
90km and the dirt road is impassable in the wet. The long way around
is about 110km (my lights aren't good enough to make that a feasable
commute home) I think.

--
TimC
I am very new to programming drivers so if I sound un-knowledgeable then it's
Old August 13th 10, 08:27 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Pitts[_2_]

On 2010-08-12, thefathippy wrote:
...yet I was swooped by a magpie today.

I've been getting regularly swooped for a couple of weeks now, on the
way home from work. That bird doesn't get too close, it just flies
overhead and clacks its beak at me - no big deal.

Oh, a maggie swooped me the last time I rode into Brisbane, in late
June. It was near the Coronation Drive underpass at Toowong, if anybody
knows it. I can't explain that one.

--
John
cager: Person who gets around in their own four wheeled telephone booth.

100-mile ride 3rd August Pat[_13_] UK 1 July 25th 08 10:51 AM
Just another August day aspenmike Unicycling 30 October 25th 06 10:30 PM
Just another August day aspenmike Unicycling 2 September 1st 06 07:21 AM
8th August 2006 Random Data Australia 7 July 26th 06 08:58 AM
It's August Bill C Racing 12 August 10th 05 06:57 AM