Thinking of Becoming Spinning Instructor

Old July 21st 04, 07:16 PM
&Roo

Default Thinking of Becoming Spinning Instructor

Hi,

I'm considering becoming a spinning instructor. I've been to spinning.com
and see there's a certification class available. That, plus a few usenet
articles, constitute the extent of my knowledge on such a class, and so I'm
in need of learning more about the entire experience.

If you are an instructor, I'd like to hear what it's like. Also, any links
to additional resources/forums would be a great help to me.

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Andrew
Old July 22nd 04, 02:51 AM

In article ,
Bonehenge wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 18:16:16 GMT, "&Roo"
wrote:

Hi,

I'm considering becoming a spinning instructor.

I still can't believe that someone copyrighted indoor cycling.

How silly.

Barry

More silly is that their are no Grapes or Nuts in the cereal yet they
were able to copyright that. Spinning (tm) is a Brand Name. It's sold
as a package to health clubs where they get the bikes (a unique design)
and the promotional materials, (banners, brochures etc.) and if needed,
training in the "system" for the session leaders/trainers/coaches. The
reason it's a system is the mixing of aerobics style music and session
leaders and fixed gear, flywheel weighted front wheel bicycle. And
that's what's copyrighted. So you go ahead and market your own indoor
cycling program. Just don't use a Spinning (tm) bicycle and don't call
it anything remotely like Spinning.
Old July 22nd 04, 03:50 AM
&Roo

Bonehenge wrote in
:

I still can't believe that someone copyrighted indoor cycling.

How silly

Believe it. And Johnny G is laughing all the way to the bank.

So let me rephrase the question: Is it worth the hassle (certification,
money, putting together stupid music compilations) to become a Certified
Spinning© Instructor? I was wondering if it wouldn't be a bad idea
to do it part time, the idea being that I would remain race-ready year
around and get paid to do it.

Sincerely
Andrew
Old July 22nd 04, 01:11 PM
Peter Cole

"&Roo" wrote in message
. 227.77...
Hi,

I'm considering becoming a spinning instructor. I've been to spinning.com
and see there's a certification class available. That, plus a few usenet
articles, constitute the extent of my knowledge on such a class, and so I'm
in need of learning more about the entire experience.

If you are an instructor, I'd like to hear what it's like. Also, any links
to additional resources/forums would be a great help to me.

A good friend has been a (certified) spinning instructor for a few years now.
He says the only difficult thing is having to be "up" for each class (he
teaches 3 a week) whether you feel like it or not. It's cool that he has
introduced many of his "spinners" to actually riding bikes on the road (he's a
hard-core road & MTB rider also). I personally don't relate to the "indoor
biking" thing, but to each their own...