Road Bicycle Helmets Offer Inadequate Protection for Mountain Biking

Old March 20th 12, 07:12 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default Road Bicycle Helmets Offer Inadequate Protection for Mountain Biking

On Mar 9, 3:09*pm, Shraga wrote:
On Mar 9, 4:24*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:

On Mar 9, 6:52*am, Shraga wrote:

On Mar 8, 12:51*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:

On Mar 8, 6:51*am, Shraga wrote:

On Mar 8, 5:12*am, Mike Vandeman wrote:

On Mar 7, 1:08*pm, Shraga wrote:

On Mar 7, 2:58*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:

On Mar 7, 8:40*am, Shraga wrote:

On Mar 6, 11:46*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:

On Mar 6, 8:59*am, Shraga wrote:
You are an idiot, like ALL mountain bikers. Horseback riding is only
dangerous when MOUNTAIN BIKERS endanger equestrians.. You are fooling
no one except yourself.

The fact that you are doubling down on this ridiculous claim is more
proof of your insanity.

Please read this article:

http://www.nature.com/sc/journal/v40...280a.html#tbl7

Although I know it's a challenge, try to pay close attention to Table
7, which lists the "causative factors." The types of equestrian
activities listed as a "causation" (i.e., "causes" of the injuries)
include "racing, course racing, show jumping, dressage, horse trials
and eventing, rodeo events and polo" among others.

While you may not support these activities, they do, in fact, involve
"horseback riding" and, as the article shows, do result in injuries.
So, please explain how mountain bikers endanger equestrians during
dressage events. And when you're done with that, please post the
evidence that proves that these injuries NEVER occurred prior to the
existence of mountain bikers.

As I said, any sport that requires a helmet is insane. What part of
that don't you understand? Mountain biking seems to be the most
dangerous of those, judging by the number & severity of accidents..

That's not what my response is addressing, idiot. Learn to READ.

What you wrote, liar, and now refuse to address is, "Horseback riding
is only
dangerous when MOUNTAIN BIKERS endanger equestrians."

I proved the contrary, and you are to much of a coward to admit it.

BS. You only proved that equestrians sometimes use helmets, NOT that
they are REQUIRED. Learn to READ, idiot.

Odd. I apparently mistook you for someone with an IQ above room-
temperature. I OBVIOUSLY showed you that equestrians sustain injuries
independent of mountain biker activity. Yet now you are going on about
helmets. You are just like a politician responding at a debate...
Someone asks you a question, and you provide an answer that has
nothing to do with it.

You wrote: "Horseback riding is only dangerous when MOUNTAIN BIKERS

endanger equestrians." That is CLEARLY a lie; you were caught, and now
you are AFRAID to address it.

Nope. True. You have proved nothing.

That's a childish claim, considering you can't refute what I wrote.

It's also a typical politician's response. I backed you into a corner
and you have nothing left but a baseless denial. The evidence that
equestrians sustain injuries independent of mountain biker activity is
in that Nature reference for everyone to see... Well, everyone but
YOU, I guess, since you can't read.

There's nothing to refute, since you never proved that horseback
riding is so dangerous that it REQUIRES one to wear a helmet. Until
you do that, you are only blowing hot air, as usual. QED

Wow. So now when you can't refute someone, you resort to DELETING the
portion of the text that exceeds your understanding? Is there no end
to your dishonesty?

I put it back for you. You're welcome.

I will repeat it for a fourth time. Maybe you'll get it this time,
moron.

You wrote this IDIOTIC sentence: "Horseback riding is only dangerous
when MOUNTAIN BIKERS endanger equestrians."

That is true.

Congratulations! That's the first time you were able to follow the
thread. Now, if only you could learn to read...

*That is CLEARLY a lie; you

were caught, and now you are AFRAID to address it.

That is what I'm addressing here. Not helmets, moron. You are
desperately trying to change the subject to something you think you
can refute, but it won't work. All you're doing is proving you can't
follow a simple conversation.

You can't address your own comment honestly. That proves you lied.
QED, idiot.

You proved NOTHING.

Blah, blah blah. Your lack of a reasoned response shows otherwise. You
haven't been able to muster a coherent response yet; so your denial is
baseless. Senility is apparently getting the best of you.

In 1937 Cole Porter was crippled in a riding accident. How did a
mountain biker endanger Cole Porter?

Here, again, since you are afraid to read it, is the article from
Nature that breaks down the incidence of equestrian injuries:

http://www.nature.com/sc/journal/v40...280a.html#tbl7

In light of those examples, address your moronic statement that,
"Horseback riding is only dangerous when MOUNTAIN BIKERS endanger
equestrians."

And by "address", I mean act like a grown up, not like a pouting child
whose most sophisticated response is "did not!" or similar pathetic
denial.

Of course you won't, because you can't.

I guess you didn't actually READ the article you cited: "The most
serious injuries occur during the jumping phase". It is talking about
COMPETITION, which we aren't discussing. We are discussing normal
trail riding, which is NOT dangerous, except when mountain bikers are
on the trail. QED DUH! Flail about as much as you want, and cite
irrelevant articles, but you still can't refute me, because, as you
werll know, I am RIGHT! As usual.
Old March 20th 12, 09:46 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Len McGoogle

On Mar 6, 8:59*am, Shraga wrote:
[...]

Normal mountain biking isn't competition either, thus it does NOT
require special equipment negating this entire thread you started. You
can't refute that.
Old March 21st 12, 04:35 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Shraga

On Mar 6, 8:59*am, Shraga wrote:
[...]

No, Mike, I do not "werll know" you're right. As usual, you are cherry-
picking the small bits of the article that make your case and ignore
the ones that don't. For example, the article also cites a study based
on analysis of 1,000 riding accident hospital admissions, which found
"one injury for 100 h of leisure riding."

See that, moron? LEISURE riding. Still want to claim the article is
about competition?

I really feel sorry for you now. It's taken you over a week to try to
read that article, and still you can't do it. Your existence is
insulting to everyone who has earned a Ph.D.

Regardless, you are STILL trying to change the subject. And you are
STILL HIDING from the other responses I've provided, which you can't
refute.

Again, you stated "horseback riding is *only* dangerous when MOUNTAIN
BIKERS endanger equestrians" [emphasis mine]. Since making that
ridiculous claim, you backed off a little and have revised that
statement to include a minuscule subset of "horseback riding" called
"normal trail riding." Whatever that is... Still, I'll let it go
because of your remedial reading skills.

Now, using available literature, prove that "normal trail riding" was
not dangerous before the existence of mountain biking.

Prediction: you won't, because you can't.

Old March 22nd 12, 06:04 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Mar 6, 8:59*am, Shraga wrote:
[...]

You can refute it by not wearing any helmet. Let us know how that
goes! Idiot.

Marin County Bicycle Coalition Expands into Mountain Biking sms88 Social Issues 1 November 8th 11 06:02 AM
Cycle helmets offer vital protection to the brain. Judith[_4_] UK 141 January 24th 11 10:01 AM
The Effects of Mountain Biking on Wildlife and People -- Why Off-Road Bicycling Should be Prohibited Mike Vandeman Mountain Biking 3 May 27th 08 03:48 AM
Mountain vs Road Biking Chris General 23 March 13th 05 12:51 AM
The Effects of Mountain Biking on Wildlife and People -- Why Off-Road Bicycling Should be Prohibited Gary S. Social Issues 7 July 23rd 04 07:06 AM