Token bottom brackets

Old May 22nd 07, 07:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ernie

Default Token bottom brackets

I'm looking at these in lieu of Campy Record BB which was not that
highly rated in Roadbikereview. I did do a search of them on this
forum, but that focused more on their carbon stuff. I'm considering
the model with Ti spindles? Are they safe? I know that's an age old
debate, but that was more for pedal spindles. I just want a reliable
smooth BB. Thanks for any input.

Ernie

Old May 22nd 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On May 22, 12:19 am, Ernie wrote:
I'm looking at these in lieu of Campy Record BB which was not that
highly rated in Roadbikereview. I did do a search of them on this
forum, but that focused more on their carbon stuff. I'm considering
the model with Ti spindles? Are they safe? I know that's an age old
debate, but that was more for pedal spindles. I just want a reliable
smooth BB. Thanks for any input.

Ernie

What's wrong with the 102mm Record BB? I have installed many, many,
with no problem. Long lasting, smooth...MUST prep the frame tho-face/
chase..something I'll bet many of the RBR clones didn't do.

As for a ti BB spindle...BAD idea. Plus, are 'Token' BBs ISO/102mm? Do
they have decent bearings or crappy ones?

Old May 22nd 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D'ohBoy

On May 22, 7:37 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
On May 22, 12:19 am, Ernie wrote:

I'm looking at these in lieu of Campy Record BB which was not that
highly rated in Roadbikereview. I did do a search of them on this
forum, but that focused more on their carbon stuff. I'm considering
the model with Ti spindles? Are they safe? I know that's an age old
debate, but that was more for pedal spindles. I just want a reliable
smooth BB. Thanks for any input.

Ernie

What's wrong with the 102mm Record BB? I have installed many, many,
with no problem. Long lasting, smooth...MUST prep the frame tho-face/
chase..something I'll bet many of the RBR clones didn't do.

As for a ti BB spindle...BAD idea. Plus, are 'Token' BBs ISO/102mm? Do
they have decent bearings or crappy ones?

I second Peter's comments; I have three Chorus BB's (which are record
without the carbon) and the oldest of which is 7 years and tens of
thousands of miles and continues to turn smoothly.

Is that reliable and smooth enough for you?

D'ohBoy

Old May 22nd 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On May 22, 12:19 am, Ernie wrote:

I'm looking at these in lieu of Campy Record BB which was not that
highly rated in Roadbikereview. I did do a search of them on this
forum, but that focused more on their carbon stuff. I'm considering
the model with Ti spindles? Are they safe? I know that's an age old
debate, but that was more for pedal spindles. I just want a reliable
smooth BB. Thanks for any input.

Ernie

What's wrong with the 102mm Record BB?

It's dull and boring. Just good design and materials. Nothing exotic
for a bike rag hack to wax elequent about.

I have installed many, many,
with no problem. Long lasting, smooth...MUST prep the frame tho-face/
chase..something I'll bet many of the RBR clones didn't do.

What? You want them to actually work instead of just running their
mouths? That frame prep stuff is for grunts with dirty hands, not the
masters of the keyboards.

As for a ti BB spindle...BAD idea. Plus, are 'Token' BBs ISO/102mm? Do
they have decent bearings or crappy ones?

Bearings? Who cares!?! It's TITANIUM, man!!!!

Old May 22nd 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

On May 22, 12:19 am, Ernie wrote:

[...]

Man, you guys need to get with it. What the guy really *NEEDS* is
titanium spindle AND CERAMIC BEARINGS!

Its sort of like that old J-in-the-B commercial, "You get rid of that
bun and you got something..."

Old May 22nd 07, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I did an autopsy on a campy record bb that was trashed. Ti axle,
aluminum cups, carbon spacer. The bearings were, well totally
inadequate for the appliation. 2 cartridges on 1 side that had way
too small balls in them. Maybe 1/8". It was hard to tell since
everything was ground to metal dust. Both the inside and outside
races were busted up on all 3 cartridges.

But hey, the ti axle had gouges and wear groves but it's the only part
that wasn't totally destroyed.

I'd say the probem was making the bb out of too many parts, undersized
bearings, too many bearings. Hard to beat a standard shimano bb.

Another problem with this campy and few other bb's is using more than
2 bearings. You will get some flex in the axle and trying to flex an
axle thru multiple bearings puts loads on the bearings they were never
designed for. A single bearing can handle the anglular changes just
fine.

Rick

Old May 22nd 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BeeCharmer

I've personally trashed two Campy BB's, one Record and one Chorus.
The outer bearing on the driveside ground to little, bitty shards of
metals. Seemed to happen at about 10,000 miles. I'm a big guy and
put out some watts and do lots of sprinting, but I would expect more
from Campy. The last one disintegrated while I was in France with my
family and I discovered just how unpopular Campy stuff is in southern
France.

That said, I shelled out the bucks and got another Chorus BB; I just
couldn't see parting with my beautiful Record carbon CT cranks. They
are works of art.

I'll be ****ed again in about 6,800 miles...

chris

Old May 22nd 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Nakashima

"BeeCharmer" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've personally trashed two Campy BB's, one Record and one Chorus.
The outer bearing on the driveside ground to little, bitty shards of
metals. Seemed to happen at about 10,000 miles. I'm a big guy and
put out some watts and do lots of sprinting, but I would expect more
from Campy. The last one disintegrated while I was in France with my
family and I discovered just how unpopular Campy stuff is in southern
France.

That said, I shelled out the bucks and got another Chorus BB; I just
couldn't see parting with my beautiful Record carbon CT cranks. They
are works of art.

I'll be ****ed again in about 6,800 miles...

chris

The first thing I did before installing a Record BB carbon for a friend was
to take it apart. Yes, it does come apart and you have access to the
bearings.
That said, I also noticed a minimum amount of grease that was used.
I went down to my LBS, they gave me a grease that was compatible
with the Campagnolo grease (white grease) and I repacked the bearings.

She doesn't ride very often, actually laid off the bike for about 3 months.
When she did start riding again she complained about a clicking sound in
the bb area. I checked if anything was lose, then put the bike on my
stand.
Sure enough a clicking sound, but as I turned the crank, the clicking sound
slowly disappeared, thinking the grease had to circulate. After 3 years, I
checked the bb again, about a 5000 mile check. Sure enough the bb
needed grease again, and hopefully good for another 5000 miles, we'll
see.
-tom

Old May 22nd 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Pikachu

In article .com,
" wrote:

I did an autopsy on a campy record bb that was trashed. Ti axle,
aluminum cups, carbon spacer. The bearings were, well totally
inadequate for the appliation.

My 12,000+ km on a 2000 Record BB says otherwise. This was not on a
"comfort" bike either, but a training/racing bike that led a hard life.
It's still extremely smooth.

But hey, the ti axle had gouges and wear groves but it's the only part
that wasn't totally destroyed.

I am not aware of any Campagnolo Record BB, that has the 3 cartridge
bearings design, having a Ti axle. My understanding is that it's
hollowed (hallowed? ) steel.

Another problem with this campy and few other bb's is using more than
2 bearings. You will get some flex in the axle and trying to flex an
axle thru multiple bearings puts loads on the bearings they were never
designed for. A single bearing can handle the anglular changes just
fine.

Can you please explain why a two-row bearing arrangement is bad? How
does the flex in the axle put unacceptable loads on the second bearing?
Old May 22nd 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Donald Gillies

" writes:

I did an autopsy on a campy record bb that was trashed. Ti axle,
aluminum cups, carbon spacer.

Uhhhh, the campy record cartridge axle is steel. Now we're wondering
- since you apparently don't remember who was that maker of that BB
that you diagnosed - why should we trust anything ELSE that you wrote
in your message ??

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA