Cycle Instructor Training - Day #2

Old January 25th 05, 07:07 PM
David Hansen

Default Cycle Instructor Training - Day #2

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 18:39:25 +0000 someone who may be Tilly
wrote this:-

But it's useful for some of the other trainees.
Similarly, I guess the risk assessments were a waste of time for the
policeman, school travel officer and community support officers, and
the basic maintenance a waste for the school caretaker (previously a
professional bike builder) and the go-kart track owner.

Unless individual tailored training is provided there would seem to
be no way to avoid boring some people for some of the time.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old January 26th 05, 12:20 PM
Mark Thompson

Peer teaching
was an absolute nightma how do you teach an experienced cyclist how
to get on and off their bike. I know it's role play, but even so...

Was this "how to teach without being patronising" or was there more to it?

Again, effective working relationships was a waste of time.

What on earth is this?
Old January 26th 05, 04:53 PM
Patrick Herring

Tilly wrote:

| 9.00 - 10.30 Booking procedures
| Initial risk assessment
| Group Register
| Individual Consent
| Risk Assessment
| Helmet use
| 10.45 - 12.15 Assessing Trainees
| Assessing Groups
| Setting Targets
| Setting up trainees bikes
| Basic trainee's bike checks
| Making adjustments to trainee's bikes
| Own maintenance skills
| 1.00 - 5.00 Using games to teach skills
| Teaching methodology and games
| Peer teaching
| Effective working relationships
|
| Comments: Much of the first session was irrelevant. The helmet
| debate was interesting but I learnt nothing that I haven't heard here
| first. The second session was far more productive, especially the
| 5-10 minute check an instructor should spend on each trainees bike
| before they start anything! 10 trainees = up to 100 minutes of
| checking.

ISTR when I did Cycling Proficiency the checking was done by other plods
whilst we were in a classroom for some theory, not that I can remember
what that was.

| The third session was mixed. The games were fun and I
| can't wait to teach the skills to Years 4, 5 and 6.

Presumably things like "last to finish" and "move the cone" games? I'd
be interested in more details.

| I guess already being an experienced primary teacher made much of
| today's course irrelevant. To be taught basic teaching methodology
| when I already teach 5 days a week (when not on a cycling course) is
| laughable. But it's useful for some of the other trainees.

If I was to do this course, not being a teacher, I'd be rather reassured
that that was covered even if only basically.

What I really want to know is whether the badge (for being trained by a
proper instructor) is better than those triangular ones where the pin
broke off too easily.

--
Patrick Herring, http://www.anweald.co.uk/ph.html
Old January 26th 05, 05:59 PM
JohnB

Tilly wrote:

On 26 Jan 2005 12:20:54 GMT, Mark Thompson

Was this "how to teach without being patronising" or was there more to it?

Role play teaching an adult I found unrealistic and
therefore tough.

Too true. I found that the hardest part of the training.
What was fun was when the adults had to pretend to be children.

We got our own back on 'teacher' with a vengeance :-))

John B

South West trains doesn't want cyclists as 'customers'... Howard UK 363 July 20th 04 11:42 PM
Helmets Vivian UK 460 April 28th 04 09:38 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Pick 'n Pay Cape Argus Cycle Tour - Cape Town, South Africa, 2004 David Cowie Racing 0 August 28th 03 10:29 PM
Pick 'n Pay Cape Argus Cycle Tour - Cape Town, South Africa, 2004 David Cowie UK 0 August 28th 03 10:29 PM