I resemble this quote

Old April 9th 05, 09:53 AM
Tony Raven

Default I resemble this quote

Came across this quote from H G Wells and thought "Damn, that's me exactly":

"I came out for exercise, gentle exercise, and to notice the scenery and
to botanise. And no sooner do I get on that accursed machine than off I
go hammer and tongs; I never look to right or left, never notice a
flower, never see a view - get hot, juicy, red - like a grilled chop.
Get me on that machine and I have to go. I go scorching along the road,
and cursing aloud at myself for doing it. ~H.G. Wells, The Wheels of Chance

Tony
Old April 9th 05, 12:04 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Tony Raven wrote:
Came across this quote from H G Wells and thought "Damn, that's me
exactly":

"I came out for exercise, gentle exercise, and to notice the scenery and
to botanise. And no sooner do I get on that accursed machine than off I
go hammer and tongs; I never look to right or left, never notice a
flower, never see a view - get hot, juicy, red - like a grilled chop.
Get me on that machine and I have to go. I go scorching along the road,
and cursing aloud at myself for doing it. ~H.G. Wells, The Wheels of
Chance

Yup - when I'm on my own I always ride at the highest speed I think I
can comfortably maintain over the planned distance. I don't know why.
Old April 9th 05, 03:21 PM
Jon Senior

Tony Raven wrote:
Came across this quote from H G Wells and thought "Damn, that's me
exactly":

"I came out for exercise, gentle exercise, and to notice the scenery and
to botanise. And no sooner do I get on that accursed machine than off I
go hammer and tongs; I never look to right or left, never notice a
flower, never see a view - get hot, juicy, red - like a grilled chop.
Get me on that machine and I have to go. I go scorching along the road,
and cursing aloud at myself for doing it. ~H.G. Wells, The Wheels of
Chance

Hmm. As do I. I'll leave for work, wearing work clothes and thinking
"I'll just potter in, so I don't get too hot", and end up doing 35mph
down Leith Walk racing cars and cyclists alike.

I blame it on the thrill of speed.

Jon
Old April 9th 05, 05:07 PM
Call me Bob

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 14:21:25 +0000, Jon Senior
jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk wrote:

"I came out for exercise, gentle exercise, and to notice the scenery and
to botanise. And no sooner do I get on that accursed machine than off I
go hammer and tongs; I never look to right or left, never notice a
flower, never see a view - get hot, juicy, red - like a grilled chop.
Get me on that machine and I have to go. I go scorching along the road,
and cursing aloud at myself for doing it. ~H.G. Wells, The Wheels of
Chance

Hmm. As do I. I'll leave for work, wearing work clothes and thinking
"I'll just potter in, so I don't get too hot", and end up doing 35mph
down Leith Walk racing cars and cyclists alike.

I blame it on the thrill of speed.

Amen to that. I find it helps me resist the hell for leather impulse
to mount the computer where I can't see it, or to set up the display
to not show current speed.

--

"Bob"

Email address is spam trapped.
To reply directly remove the beverage.
Old April 9th 05, 09:18 PM
Peter B

Tony Raven wrote:
Came across this quote from H G Wells and thought "Damn, that's me
exactly":

"I came out for exercise, gentle exercise, and to notice the scenery and
to botanise. And no sooner do I get on that accursed machine than off I
go hammer and tongs; I never look to right or left, never notice a
flower, never see a view - get hot, juicy, red - like a grilled chop.
Get me on that machine and I have to go. I go scorching along the road,
and cursing aloud at myself for doing it. ~H.G. Wells, The Wheels of
Chance

Me too. Then maybe I'll stop for a pee and realise how peaceful it is
without the wind noise and how nice the scenery is and vow to stop more
often and chill, but I never do.
When mtbing with friends we stop and chat but there are more reasons for
stopping anyway, gates, walking sections, mechanical problems, picking
yourself up from the ground after an involuntary dismount, picking yourself
up from the ground after laughing at a mates involuntary dismount and so
on..

Pete

Old April 10th 05, 10:26 PM
davek

Tony Raven wrote:
Came across this quote from H G Wells and thought "Damn, that's me
exactly":

That was me this morning - and I am now paying for it. The route we
chose for our club ride today has a long, very flat stretch starting
about 7 miles from the cafe stop, and whenever we do that route I like
to use that section as an excuse to "stretch my legs" a little... So,
today, as soon as we hit the flat, I put my foot down and left the bunch
behind. Whoosh!

For that stretch alone, I reckon I averaged just a little shy of 25mph
- OK, maybe 23mph is more like it, but for me that is bloody fast. And I
got to the cafe a good four or five minutes before anyone else.

Of course, having used up all my energy, I bonked horrendously on the
way home, vicious cramp and everything, and my legs are still feeling
incredibly tender - hope I recover in time for the 300k audax next week!

d.
Old April 11th 05, 03:34 AM
Graeme

Call me Bob wrote in
:

I find it helps me resist the hell for leather impulse
to mount the computer where I can't see it, or to set up the display
to not show current speed.

But don't put it on average speed. That means you cycle even faster to get
it to creep up just 0.1mph!

Graeme
Old April 11th 05, 11:07 AM
dkahn400

davek wrote:

That was me this morning - and I am now paying for it. The route
we chose for our club ride today has a long, very flat stretch
starting about 7 miles from the cafe stop, and whenever we do
that route I like to use that section as an excuse to "stretch my
legs" a little... So, today, as soon as we hit the flat, I put my
foot down and left the bunch behind. Whoosh!

For that stretch alone, I reckon I averaged just a little shy of
25mph - OK, maybe 23mph is more like it, but for me that is
bloody fast. And I got to the cafe a good four or five minutes
before anyone else.

You must have very humane clubmates. Mine would let you get about 200
yards ahead and hang you there to dry, finally blasting past you half a
mile before the stop. (Or maybe you're better at it than I am.)

--
Dave...

Old April 11th 05, 04:02 PM
davek

dkahn400 wrote:
You must have very humane clubmates. Mine would let you get about 200
yards ahead and hang you there to dry, finally blasting past you half

mile before the stop. (Or maybe you're better at it than I am.)

I forgot to mention that all the fast guys in our club weren't out
yesterday (all on holiday). Normally it would be a case of me
struggling to stay within spitting distance of Mike's wheel, with him
barely breaking sweat to keep me at arm's length...

d.