Performance Rack Trunk/Pannier combo - any good?

Old August 16th 05, 08:14 PM
bryanska

Default Performance Rack Trunk/Pannier combo - any good?

Couldn't find opinions of this particular bag anywhere on the Net:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=2312

It's a rack trunk with zip-out panniers. Any thoughts? Experiences?

I need a commuting system that will hold a change of clothes and shoes,
and preferably a lunch too. Panniers are expensive and the biggest
Nashbar rack trunk is too small.

This Topeak one is more expensive and a bit smaller:

http://bikeparts.com/search_results.asp?ID=TZ2247

Again - any thoughts?

(No cheap panniers candetach-and-carry. The Cannondale panniers are the
cheapest that will work, and anything up from there is too pricey.)

Old August 17th 05, 12:09 AM
Robert Uhl

"bryanska" writes:

(No cheap panniers candetach-and-carry. The Cannondale panniers are
the cheapest that will work, and anything up from there is too
pricey.)

I got some nice ones from Performance a few years back for about $70 or
so, which very easily snap off of the rack. Used to use 'em all the
time; now I use a backpack more often.

--
Robert Uhl http://public.xdi.org/=ruhl
We English-speaking peoples should keep hold of the essential fact about
Old August 17th 05, 12:48 AM
BobT

"bryanska" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need a commuting system that will hold a change of clothes and shoes,
and preferably a lunch too. Panniers are expensive and the biggest
Nashbar rack trunk is too small.

I use panniers from Jannd Mountaineering for commuting. They may not fit
your budget but they seem well worth it to me.

BobT

Old August 17th 05, 02:20 AM
Earl Bollinger

"bryanska" wrote in message
oups.com...
Couldn't find opinions of this particular bag anywhere on the Net:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=2312

It's a rack trunk with zip-out panniers. Any thoughts? Experiences?

I need a commuting system that will hold a change of clothes and shoes,
and preferably a lunch too. Panniers are expensive and the biggest
Nashbar rack trunk is too small.

This Topeak one is more expensive and a bit smaller:

http://bikeparts.com/search_results.asp?ID=TZ2247

Again - any thoughts?

(No cheap panniers candetach-and-carry. The Cannondale panniers are the
cheapest that will work, and anything up from there is too pricey.)

I am using the inexpensive AVENIR saddle bags or panniers bite the dust on
me.
http://shop.planetcycle.com/shop/ite...ce&partner=bbb
But they are still hanging in there on my commutes. Even when I get rained
on the Avenir bags still keep out the water too.
I wind up carrying like 20 pounds of stuff, so you might want to consider
staging at work everything that you can ahead of time.
I did buy that same panneir you depicted above too, along with the special
seatpost rack. I used the rack on my MTB a couple of times on my commutes,
but I haven't used that Performance pannier yet. The two expandable side
bags are made if a thinner material so they can be folded up inside neatly.
The zippers work, it appears to be reasonably waterproof. Anyway, it isn't
very big, so you might have to bungie your shoes outside of the panneir or
trunk. it depends on what all you are carrying.
I usually throw in things like lunch, batteries for the LED's, raincoat,
extra tubes and a extra folding tire just in case. I have a 23 mile one way
commute, and no one to come get me if I break down. HUmm I better inventory
what all I got and see if I can leave something at home that panneir is
getting pretty heavy.

Old August 17th 05, 02:34 AM
bryanska

OK - I went and shopped around.

The Topeak rack trunk w/side panniers is the biggest I've ever seen. I
didn't buy it because I don't want to pay for the Topeak system, which
I felt added to the price (at REI for $65).

This weekend I will be in Naperville, IL to look at the Performance
TransIt Rack Trunk w/panniers. If it's big enough it's perfect for me -
commuting, but will become smaller for a picnic.

Tonight I ended up buying the same AVENIR economy panniers for $35.
I'll give them a shot.

I don't want cheapie panniers so I hope the Performance bike rack
really works out.

Stay tuned...

Old August 17th 05, 03:58 AM

the performance rack is heavy duty. I have one and love it

Old August 18th 05, 05:52 AM
Leo Lichtman

"bryanska" wrote: Couldn't find opinions of this particular bag anywhere on
the Net:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=2312
(clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm really glad you asked--I printed out the ad and went to my nearest
Performance store and bought it. It's a very neat design, appears to be
well made, and the price is right (on sale.) It seems their policy is to
match the web prices if you bring in the ad.

I'm not complaining, but there is a little discrepancy in the way they do
the numbers. The add says it is 50% off, from about $50 to about $25. It
was for sale in the store for $37.95 (I think.) So the 50% is a bit of a
stretch from reality, but it's sure worth the price I paid.

Old August 18th 05, 02:26 PM
bryanska

Ooo! Please tell me how you like it.

Old August 18th 05, 03:16 PM

bryanska wrote:
snip

I bought this:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx...ategoryNa me=
an Agu Rack Pack Yamaska 475 recently.

Similar style, fold out "panniers", rack top mounting - so similar that
I wonder if they're not the same item rebadged, or clones to the same
design.

I use it for a 12 mile each way daily commute.

Very useful,and just the right size. It holds toolkit, tubes, phone,
wallet, shirt/socks/pants for work in the main bag. Rain jacket fits
under elastic straps on top, and it's useful to be able to get that out
quickly without opening the main bag. There's a second zip just below
the main zip that allows the main bag to increase in size by about 20%
- again, very useful if there's some extra stuff to bring home. It's
not quite long enough to fit a rolled up sheaf of A4 paper in the main
compartment, but it will cram in at an angle, or can go in the
panniers. There's a "partition" inside that you can move around on
velcro, which is great if the bag is half-empty - you can position it
to stop things from rolling around.

It's fixed to the rack with four velcro straps - I wasn't too happy
with that before I bought it, but it's secure and stable, and quick and
easy to remove and move from bike to bike.

The fold out panniers are useful, but need to be evenly loaded from
side to side - too much in one side causes the rack-bag to be pulled to
that side, and puts a lot of stress on the fixing straps. They're more
an occasional use sort of thing - if I thought I was going to use them
a lot, I'd prefer real panniers.

Very waterproof, good quality zippers etc. Includes a shoulder strap
(useful when touring?), and a "shower cap" type rain cover, neither of
which I've ever needed or used. Don't know if any of this is the case
with the Performance one.

I bought mine for about €30, and it's been excellent value so far.

Downsides - heavy - about 500g when empty, but you're bout to cram it
full of junk anyway, so who cares? Also, as with any rack-top bag,
they hid my rear red LED blinkies, which were attached to my seatpost.
I made a mount for them to fit them onto the back of the rack, behind
the bag.

HTH, Regards,

bookieb

Old August 18th 05, 06:25 PM
Leo Lichtman

wrote: (CLIP) Don't know if any of this is the
caswith the Performance one.

I bought mine for about ?30, and it's been excellent value so far.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yours resembles mine (the Performance one), but is more better. I don't
have the secondary zipper, which allows the interior volume to be expanded.
I don't have the Velcro'd interior movable partition. Everything else
sounds the same. I think mine is worth what I paid, but for the difference,
I think you got more for your money. I like ingenious "gadgety" things, and
yours has more of that.

FS: Commuter Combo - Rack Bag & Fender Doug Marketplace 0 August 12th 04 10:08 PM
seatpost rack & bag combo query Dilbert Firestorm General 9 June 2nd 04 01:09 AM
Rocket Mid Ship rack (was Mid Ship Rack for Stratus?) hmiller Recumbent Biking 0 April 9th 04 08:27 PM
rear hitch bike rack curt General 12 March 18th 04 09:55 PM
Bicycle Rack Mishaps? NYRides General 105 December 7th 03 03:42 PM