What goes where 6800?

Old June 13th 21, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark cleary

Default What goes where 6800?

In the general routine today I put a new chain on the bike I figure with 7000 miles it was stretched some but not over the marks. First complaint is Shimano quick links take a huge amount of pressure to set. I have the tool but wow as usual I have to really grunt and groan to get it to click.

Then decide to put new housing and shift cable on the rear derailleur. I manage to get it all correct and shifting perfect but the whole thing of caps, cable, ferrules and order is somewhat confusing. It seems to be arbitrary given the instructions. I have done it numerous times but seems different every time. I ignore the directions.

So I have jagwire SS cable good stuff and the jagwire shifter housing, again the good stuff L3. I normally then use my own 4mm aluminum ferrules never plastic. The one plastic 4mm cover at the shifter interface is used as it set into the 6800 shifters. The housing is pushed on the cap that that has endcaps, that if fine. The mystery is the rear loop at the derailleur as it exits the rear barrel adjuster. It seems they give you a small plastic/rubber cap that sits in the hole. it works practically like an endcap as it comes the final travel to the pinch bolt. Well I had used it the previous times but this time I did not. I thought is seem to be neater and less binding just running the bare cable right through to the pinch bolt. It is as if the end cap actually caused more binding issues.

I hope I am making sense explaining this but frankly Shimano needs to figure a better way to explain the process. It is just trail and error in the shops. Right now though I have to say this mechanical 6800 groupset I have is amazing it shifts flawless and silent. 25000 miles and going strong.
Deacon mark
Old June 13th 21, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/13/2021 5:34 PM, Mark cleary wrote:
[...]

Shift to low gear, rotate the snap link to the top run of
the chain, hold your rear brake and press firmly on the
pedal. It will click into place.

Casing and wire sets include everything you will most
probably need. But frames vary, riders have preferences
(aluminum casing ferrules in your case) and so, as in so
many things, a 'universal' set may be short something you
want or include extra bits.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 14th 21, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 3:51:18 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I find it fairly easy to get started but hard to get all the way on. I set it up like you do with the quick link on the top run of chain and then stand on the pedal usually to a sharp CLICK!