Going clipless

Old March 19th 09, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Going clipless

Since my Brooks saddle seems to permit me to pedal more powerfully, I
thought I might reinforce efficiency with positive location of my feet
on the full rotation of the pedal stroke.

Is this a good idea for someone who all his life has used platform
pedals?

Is there any reason, if I decide to go ahead, not to buy the Shimano
PD-M520 SPD pedals?

Would the PD-M424 dual platform/SPD pedals be a better choice for me?
Or the 324, which can take the SH56 cleats?

Should I order a set of SM-SH56 Multi-Release Cleats with whichever
pedals I decide on or are the Single-Release Cleats easy to learn to
use?

Thanks.

Andre Jute
Exploring ways and means
Old March 20th 09, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
GaryX

On Mar 19, 7:09*pm, Andre Jute wrote:
Since my Brooks saddle seems to permit me to pedal more powerfully, I
thought I might reinforce efficiency with positive location of my feet
on the full rotation of the pedal stroke.

Is this a good idea for someone who all his life has used platform
pedals?

Is there any reason, if I decide to go ahead, not to buy the Shimano
PD-M520 SPD pedals?

Would the PD-M424 dual platform/SPD pedals be a better choice for me?
Or the 324, which can take the SH56 cleats?

Should I order a set of SM-SH56 Multi-Release Cleats with whichever
pedals I decide on or are the Single-Release Cleats easy to learn to
use?

Thanks.

Andre Jute
Exploring ways and means

You may want to try Crank Brothers pedal ... go for the Quattro or any
type with the platform .... avoid the egg beater

i find those to be very easy to slip in an out off.

GaryX
Old March 20th 09, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Mar 19, 4:09 pm, Andre Jute wrote:
Since my Brooks saddle seems to permit me to pedal more powerfully, I
thought I might reinforce efficiency with positive location of my feet
on the full rotation of the pedal stroke.

Is this a good idea for someone who all his life has used platform
pedals?

Probably not, but worth a try for the adventurous.

Is there any reason, if I decide to go ahead, not to buy the Shimano
PD-M520 SPD pedals?

I'd go for at least the M540 - looks like a much better quality
component.

Would the PD-M424 dual platform/SPD pedals be a better choice for me?

Probably (, in my estimation).

Or the 324, which can take the SH56 cleats?

Should I order a set of SM-SH56 Multi-Release Cleats with whichever
pedals I decide on...

I have no experience with those cleats.

... or are the Single-Release Cleats easy to learn to
use?

Yes, they are.

Old March 20th 09, 04:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nick L Plate

On 19 Mar, 23:09, Andre Jute wrote:
Since my Brooks saddle seems to permit me to pedal more powerfully, I
thought I might reinforce efficiency with positive location of my feet
on the full rotation of the pedal stroke.

Is this a good idea for someone who all his life has used platform
pedals?

Is there any reason, if I decide to go ahead, not to buy the Shimano
PD-M520 SPD pedals?

Would the PD-M424 dual platform/SPD pedals be a better choice for me?
Or the 324, which can take the SH56 cleats?

Should I order a set of SM-SH56 Multi-Release Cleats with whichever
pedals I decide on or are the Single-Release Cleats easy to learn to
use?

It is not necessary to have your feet clipped in to be efficient.
It's only really needed if you havn't got a low enough gear to get up
the steepest hill, trialling, and for sprinting (any really high power
effort that gets you sweaty). If you pedal with a controlled claw
back, uplift and forward push, avoiding pushing down, it is possible
to develop a smooth and efficient action. If your feet are sliding
about, try another shoe you already have and concentrate on developing
a smooth action. This concerted effort on pedal action is necessary
even with clipped feet , for efficiency. It's just that clipped feet
allow one to use stonking great wads of power without worrying about
where ones feet might like to be. I have managed a cadence of 120 rpm
without clips, and much higher with clips. It really is practice and
concentration for about six weeks to learn the skill to pedal
efficiently. Each time you manage to pedal smoothly at a particular
cadence, try upping it a bit. For a little while. Slow back down to
original speed and think whether you can go for a bit longer or faster
in five to ten minutes. If you do manage a greater speed, for longer,
don't drop down so slow this time. just keep repeating, faster,
smoother, longer, smoother. Remember the key is to lift the weight of
the rear leg, there is enough weight in your forward leg to provide
sufficient force to turn the pedals at moderate speeds. Just smooth
out the period where the cranks are in the upper/lower quadrants by
pushing forward and clawing back. Your pushing down muscles will then
be good for climbing outa the saddle if you want.

Soz for not paragraphing.

TJ
Old March 20th 09, 06:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
Andre Jute wrote:

Since my Brooks saddle seems to permit me to pedal more powerfully, I
thought I might reinforce efficiency with positive location of my feet
on the full rotation of the pedal stroke.

Is this a good idea for someone who all his life has used platform
pedals?

Is there any reason, if I decide to go ahead, not to buy the Shimano
PD-M520 SPD pedals?

Go ahead. They are good pedals. I run them.

Would the PD-M424 dual platform/SPD pedals be a better choice for me?
Or the 324, which can take the SH56 cleats?

Should I order a set of SM-SH56 Multi-Release Cleats with whichever
pedals I decide on or are the Single-Release Cleats easy to learn to
use?

Single release, probably.
The important part is to set the release force
very low. You can increase it as you please later.
Practice taking your foot out of the pedal in
an empty parking lot as you slowly ride around.
Take your left foot out, put your left foot back.
Take your right foot out, put your right foot back.
When riding the roads you must remember to
release one foot as you commence slowing to a stop.

--
Michael Press
Old March 20th 09, 09:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Andre Jute wrote:
Since my Brooks saddle seems to permit me to pedal more powerfully, I
thought I might reinforce efficiency with positive location of my feet
on the full rotation of the pedal stroke.

Is this a good idea for someone who all his life has used platform
pedals?

Is there any reason, if I decide to go ahead, not to buy the Shimano
PD-M520 SPD pedals?

Would the PD-M424 dual platform/SPD pedals be a better choice for me?
Or the 324, which can take the SH56 cleats?

Should I order a set of SM-SH56 Multi-Release Cleats with whichever
pedals I decide on or are the Single-Release Cleats easy to learn to
use?

A less expensive alternative to clipless systems and easier for the
novice to use are Power Grips: http://powergrips.mrpbike.com/.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old March 20th 09, 11:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Tom Sherman schreef:
Andre Jute wrote:
Since my Brooks saddle seems to permit me to pedal more powerfully, I
thought I might reinforce efficiency with positive location of my feet
on the full rotation of the pedal stroke.

Is this a good idea for someone who all his life has used platform
pedals?

Is there any reason, if I decide to go ahead, not to buy the Shimano
PD-M520 SPD pedals?

Would the PD-M424 dual platform/SPD pedals be a better choice for me?
Or the 324, which can take the SH56 cleats?

Should I order a set of SM-SH56 Multi-Release Cleats with whichever
pedals I decide on or are the Single-Release Cleats easy to learn to
use?

A less expensive alternative to clipless systems and easier for the
novice to use are Power Grips: http://powergrips.mrpbike.com/.

Geez Tom, clipping and unclipping isn't rock science you know. Less
expensive? Shimano PD-M520 are 20 euro's. Andre doesn't need more unless
he wants a stainless steel axle. I think his bike is over 3000 euro now,
I think he can manage 20 euro's more.

Lou
Old March 20th 09, 11:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Lou Holtman wrote:
Tom Sherman schreef:
Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

You missed the point. Andre Jute (or anyone else) can ride in normal
shoes with Power Grips, unlike SPuDs or other clipless systems which
require special shoes, most of which look like something a court jester
might have worn.

Another data point is Andrew Muzi, who rides to work with clips, straps
and traditional smooth soled leather dress shoes. Power Grips would work
with dress shoes, SPuDs and other clipless systems would not.

Old March 20th 09, 12:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bookieb

On Mar 19, 11:09 pm, Andre Jute wrote:
snip
Is this a good idea for someone who all his life has used platform
pedals?

IMO, yes. Takes a little bit of getting used to, but after a few
hours, clipping in and out becomes entirely instinctive.

Is there any reason, if I decide to go ahead, not to buy the Shimano
PD-M520 SPD pedals?

No, fine pedals.

Would the PD-M424 dual platform/SPD pedals be a better choice for me?

I think so.
You can ride on the m520 or similar pedals in "ordinary" shoes. Grip
is fine with rubber soled shoes, but not so good if wearing leather-
soled (or other hard-soled) soled shoes. You may also (depending on
the thickness and type of sole on your shoe) be able to feel the pedal
poking into the sole of your foot - this can be a a little
uncomfortable after a few miles.

The m424 works just the same at the m520 with cleated cycling shoes,
and is about as good as any other platform pedal for any given type of
ordinary shoe.

If you'd like to be able to jump onto your bike wearing whatever shoes
you happen to have on, and have the same amount of grip and comfort as
you have with your current platform pedals, I'd go with the m424.
There's no real downside to them, bar them being a little heavier than
the m520 - I don't think that weight is your primary concern anyway.

Or the 324, which can take the SH56 cleats?

Should I order a set of SM-SH56 Multi-Release Cleats with whichever
pedals I decide on or are the Single-Release Cleats easy to learn to
use?

You'll get a set of cleats with whichever pedals you buy, probably
single-release ones, and it is easy enough to get use to them. I'd
only suggest changing over to the multi-release ones if you still
find the single-release ones unusably awkward after a few weeks.

The degree of anxiety about getting trapped in the pedals when
stopping or during a fall is generally out of proportion to the chance
of it happening. Some people have a minor "oopsie" at traffic lights
during the second or third ride, but I think the common experience is
that after ten or so rides, you forget they're there.

Thanks.

Andre Jute
Exploring ways and means

shoe selection.
I like the cheaper end of the Shimano shoe range, particularly the
touring shoes, but I have narrow feet. Some people with wider feet
complain that Shimano shoes are a narrow fit.

Spend some time setting up the cleats carefully. Some people have no
problems, others report needing to adjust the alignment very
carefully. There are plenty of guides on how to go about in on the
web.

hth,

bookieb
Old March 20th 09, 12:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

bookieb wrote:
[...]Some people with wider feet
complain that Shimano shoes are a narrow fit.[...]

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Should I go clipless? dgk General 48 May 28th 05 04:23 PM
Gone Clipless DJ Australia 21 November 16th 04 04:00 PM
Going clipless cc Mountain Biking 17 June 13th 04 09:18 PM
Going Clipless iarocu UK 37 April 24th 04 04:41 PM
Clipless... joona Unicycling 47 January 14th 04 08:03 AM