Cancellara's battery

Old February 14th 12, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Henderson

Default Cancellara's battery

It's no wonder they couldn't find an AA cell or two hidden in his
bicycle frame. It's now obvious he was using a prototype
structural battery:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17014808

John
Old February 14th 12, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Cancellara's battery The weight of conspiracy

Hi John,

I thought that the bikes are weighed for all the teams. It seems that with
the battery and the weight of a possible motor capable of 1/4 horse power,
would be significant enough to be visible even by eyeballing his bicycle. If
a bicycle minimum weight of 14.99 lbs is the minimum standard, and all the
team bikes weighed in at minimum, then certainly, Cancellara's bike would
show some visual difference, for instance suspicious holes drilled in
componants to reduce weight, where as team bikes not having these holes. The
whole conspiracy dosen't seem to realize, that, he had an amazing
accelaration. Also I read an article that suggested a similar conspiracy on
doping. This article about Conrador he
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cont...ity-questioned
Suggests that he (Contador)had to be doping as well as other athletes.

Old February 14th 12, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Henderson

I wrote:

Never let the facts get in the way of perpetuating an urban myth.
I do apologise for my sensationalist way of introducing a
promising new technology.

In fact, I propose the structural battery be hereafter renamed
the Cancellara Battery in honour of the great man.

John
Old February 14th 12, 10:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Feb 14, 3:16*pm, John Henderson wrote:
I wrote:
Never let the facts get in the way of perpetuating an urban myth.
I do apologise for my sensationalist way of introducing a
promising new technology.

In fact, I propose the structural battery be hereafter renamed
the Cancellara Battery in honour of the great man.

Only if we can we still also use "Gruber" as a verb.
DR
Old February 15th 12, 03:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

add foulup

the C Batt was a pointed reminder we do not all live on the same
planet.

Old February 15th 12, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On 14 Feb 2012 19:42:45 GMT, John Henderson
wrote:

It's no wonder they couldn't find an AA cell or two hidden in his
bicycle frame. It's now obvious he was using a prototype
structural battery:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17014808

John

It's not really a battery, even though it's being promoted by battery
manufacturers. It's a (super) capacitor.
http://www.saftbatteries.com/Produit_Nickel_capacitor_SNC_455_298/Language/en-US/Default.aspx
http://www.saftbatteries.com/doc/Documents/rail/Cube786/SNC_en_0711_Protected.8b6e9c88-d755-4417-8805-493abeb76424.pdf
Using one in a carbon fiber frame has a few odd problems. The carbon
needs to be porous, in order to gain surface area, which isn't very
strong. It's full of liquid electrolyte, which has some obvious
problems. The activated carbon electrode does deteroirate with use,
requiring a frame replacement. Advanced version use carbon nanotubes,
which adds considerable cost for building a bicycle frame.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old February 15th 12, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Henderson

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

It's not really a battery, even though it's being promoted by battery
manufacturers. It's a (super) capacitor.
http://www.saftbatteries.com/Produit_Nickel_capacitor_SNC_455_298/Language/en-US/Default.aspx
http://www.saftbatteries.com/doc/Documents/rail/Cube786/SNC_en_0711_Protected.8b6e9c88-d755-4417-8805-493abeb76424.pdf
Using one in a carbon fiber frame has a few odd problems. The carbon
needs to be porous, in order to gain surface area, which isn't very
strong. It's full of liquid electrolyte, which has some obvious
problems. The activated carbon electrode does deteroirate with use,
requiring a frame replacement. Advanced version use carbon nanotubes,
which adds considerable cost for building a bicycle frame.

The Cancellara Battery sounds much more like a battery
(electrochemical cell) than a capacitor to me. Capacitors don't
have an electrolyte "conducting ions between electrodes".
Unless the term "capacitor" has been redefined while I wasn't
paying attention, they rely on a dielectric to keep charges well
and truly separate.

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA472085

John
Old February 15th 12, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

John Henderson writes:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

[...]

Electrolytic capacitors do. That is the most common type of large
capacitor. They are polarized. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolytic_capacitor

Old February 15th 12, 11:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

"Joe Riel" wrote in message
John Henderson writes:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

[...]

Electrolytic capacitors still rely on a dielectric to keep charges
separated. They use an electrolyte in place of one of the plates in a
conventional capacitor. That electrolyte does not conduct ions between
electrodes, it is one of the electrodes.
Kerry

did you say battery ? kolldata Techniques 8 November 20th 11 12:41 AM
NEW BATTERY datakoll Techniques 4 February 28th 10 08:25 PM
Great Vid of Cancellara's Descending Paul B. Anders Racing 9 July 22nd 09 08:18 AM
Cancellara's sprint win...a little too convenient and easy? [email protected] Racing 63 July 16th 07 03:40 AM
ni-mh battery lloydie Mountain Biking 0 September 23rd 05 04:03 PM