Driver psychology

Old February 28th 20, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Driver psychology

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/world...ntl/index.html

The article doesn't mention bikes, but it almost certainly applies to
motorists' treatment of bicyclists too.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 28th 20, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 20:56:46 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/world...ntl/index.html

The article doesn't mention bikes, but it almost certainly applies to
motorists' treatment of bicyclists too.

I read those here those defaming the poor - Ohhh they are camped on
the side walk, I read those defaming pickup truck drivers, I read
those who frequently mention "my $3,000 bicycle". Why not "those
failures that ride bicycles"?

As I have mentioned I have spent much of my life in foreign countries
and without exception, in every one those countries, the natives
considered foreigners to be... well, a bit stupid... "why he can't
even talk so people can understand him".

I suggest that it is so common that it may well be termed normal human
nature.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old February 28th 20, 05:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 10:13:39 +0700, John B. wrote:

On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 20:56:46 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/world...rs-study-scli-

scn-intl/index.html

Nah, having 'arrived" they are ****ed there is no reward.

Old February 28th 20, 06:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/world...rs-study-scli-

scn-intl/index.html

I suggest that it is so common that it may well be termed normal human
nature.

Nah, having 'arrived" they are ****ed there is no reward.

and there speaks someone who never arrived :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old February 28th 20, 10:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Frank Krygowski wrote:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/world...ntl/index.html

The fake media on rbt? That's certainly new.

The article doesn't mention bikes, but it almost certainly applies to
motorists' treatment of bicyclists too.

Junk science, junk journalism, or both, Frank? It's glaringly obvious a
study design with just one person in each category sex/color is inadequate
because all sorts of observable factors other than those stated might
influence driver behavior. And the study was local, wasn't it? It should
never have left the local student newspaper, certainly not be promoted to
"world" status.

And the Finnish study bashing bimmer drivers? He could easily have taken
the ferry-boat to conduct his study in a place where there is a slightly
less stereotypical view of bimmers. Or differentiate between SK, SF, and D
made Porsches, sizes and cylinder counts.[token tech content?]

Imho, from a cycling perspective, there are rarely problems with drivers of
two-door Porsches in Europe. Maybe only because their drivers have less of
a hormonally unmitigated inferiority complex, but sufficient cash to enjoy
braking, and re-accelerating, than economically struggling, emotionally
unstable, twentysomething aged men who, for ethno-cultural reasons, rarely
rode bicycles beyond kindergarden age, looking primitive in their
low-chassis, tinted-window, third-owner bimmers. Conscious prejudice is
smart if it matches reality.

--
More important: What would Jobst B. have said?
Old February 28th 20, 11:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

wrote:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/world...rs-study-scli-

scn-intl/index.html

I suggest that it is so common that it may well be termed normal human
nature.

Nah, having 'arrived" they are ****ed there is no reward.

and there speaks someone who never arrived :-)

Nah, I think arrived on the roads is a LWB van because they are the most
versatile motor vehicle. I also PMP laughing at all the peeps who
religiously clean and maintain their car for hours every weekend. Not to
mention spending hours at the gym to sty fit when they coud save time,
moey and effort just riding a bicyce to work, shopping, holidays, etc.

Anyway, its the journey that is really interesting.

Old February 28th 20, 11:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 20:56:46 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/world...rs-study-scli-

scn-intl/index.html

The article doesn't mention bikes, but it almost certainly applies to
motorists' treatment of bicyclists too.

Good trolling Frank. you janked two chains very quickly.

Old February 28th 20, 04:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 2:57:57 AM UTC-8, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

Sepp, haven't I been complaining here that drivers of the expensive German cars are the worst towards cyclists? While Asian women drivers in SUV's are probably the most dangerous drivers on the road it doesn't appear to be purposeful as BMW drivers are. They purposely pass as close to you as they can get - men or women drivers appear to be equally at fault for these crimes.. You can tell that they do it on purpose because if there is a red light ahead where you could catch up with them they will turn off so that you can't identify them.
Old February 29th 20, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 6:26:46 PM UTC-6, John B. wrote:

wrote:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/world...rs-study-scli-
scn-intl/index.html

I suggest that it is so common that it may well be termed normal human
nature.

Nah, having 'arrived" they are ****ed there is no reward.

and there speaks someone who never arrived :-)

Nah, I think arrived on the roads is a LWB van because they are the most
versatile motor vehicle. I also PMP laughing at all the peeps who
religiously clean and maintain their car for hours every weekend. Not to
mention spending hours at the gym to sty fit when they coud save time,
moey and effort just riding a bicyce to work, shopping, holidays, etc.

I hate to tell you but cycling isn't an extremely great exercise. It
doesn't exercise your back, abdomen or upper body and it may or may
not be a good cardio exercise. If you push it to a heart rate of, say,
50-70% of maximum heart rate, then yes, but pedaling sedately down to
the store and back doesn't do a thing for you.

True. At leisurely pace, riding a bicycle is not great exercise. Its good exercise though. I walk 1.5 miles round trip to my grocery store. All flat. Its not great exercise because I just walk at a regular pace. I don't run. But its much better exercise and healthier than driving to the store.. Which is what 100% of everyone else does. Its kind of like stock investing. You can work to earn a reasonable 10% return year after year. Or you can wait and hope and maybe you will get a 100% return every decade or two.. Smarter to just take the small return every year regularly instead of going for the lottery win.

Old February 29th 20, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

When I got out of the hospital my cardiologist prescribed exercise!
And recommended walking. So I walk 2 km every morning before
breakfast. And, over a month or so of walking there is no question
that I breath easier climbing stairs (as one measurement of fitness)
so there is no question that it is good for you.
I also do other things like lifting weights and riding a bike up very
steep hills to get back some of the muscle tissue that I lost during
the year that I was in and out of the hospital.

But, generally speaking, humans are a lazy bunch. I read somewhere
that as much as 65% of those that join Exercise Gyms never use their
membership.

The other thing that really makes me wonder is that in the U.S. some
71% of adults over 20 are overweight or obese. Some 40% are considered
to be obese.
And fat people aren't pretty, nor are they sexy. One might think that
there would be masses of people losing weight... but apparently there
aren't.

(one of my pet complaints - I get carried away)
--
cheers,

John B.