Cycling and hypothermia

Old December 31st 13, 07:08 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
The Todal

Default Cycling and hypothermia

Prominent Guardian columnist nearly dies of hypothermia whilst cycling
in October near Newbury.

Does this quite often happen to cyclists or can we deduce that Mr
Monbiot is a blithering idiot who didn't prepare well for his ride?
Anyway, it's an interesting read.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...r-bicycle-ride

Old December 31st 13, 07:10 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 31/12/2013 19:08, The Todal wrote:

Prominent Guardian columnist nearly dies of hypothermia whilst cycling
in October near Newbury.

Does this quite often happen to cyclists or can we deduce that Mr
Monbiot is a blithering idiot who didn't prepare well for his ride?
Anyway, it's an interesting read.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...r-bicycle-ride

The words "Monbiot" and "idiot" fit naturally together whatever the context.

Old December 31st 13, 07:13 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
MM[_6_]

"The Todal" wrote in message ...

Prominent Guardian columnist nearly dies of hypothermia whilst cycling
in October near Newbury.

Does this quite often happen to cyclists or can we deduce that Mr
Monbiot is a blithering idiot who didn't prepare well for his ride?
Anyway, it's an interesting read.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...r-bicycle-ride

**** all to do with uk legal yet you still post

maybe you have a reading issue, along with your obession with dicks and
little girls

---

Old December 31st 13, 07:52 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
steve robinson

The Todal wrote:

Prominent Guardian columnist nearly dies of hypothermia whilst
cycling in October near Newbury.

Does this quite often happen to cyclists or can we deduce that Mr
Monbiot is a blithering idiot who didn't prepare well for his ride?
Anyway, it's an interesting read.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...othermia-exmoo
r-bicycle-ride

It happens to motorcyclists so i cant see why it doesnt effect the
cyclists who wear far less kit

Old December 31st 13, 09:05 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
roger merriman

The Todal wrote:

Prominent Guardian columnist nearly dies of hypothermia whilst cycling
in October near Newbury.

Does this quite often happen to cyclists or can we deduce that Mr
Monbiot is a blithering idiot who didn't prepare well for his ride?
Anyway, it's an interesting read.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...thermia-exmoor
-bicycle-ride

combination I suspect, middle england in autum isn't that cold, even
with cotton clothes.

But getting wet and by sounds of things stationary wasn't wise.

people do differ with their tolrances, I'm fine in shorts and single
layers down to -5 or so, but most of my riding buddies need many layers
or they start to cold rapidly.

I grew up in the Breacon Beacons which I suspect has given me the
tolrance and experance, regarding weather.

Roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old December 31st 13, 09:36 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Alex Heney

On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 19:08:32 +0000, The Todal
wrote:

Prominent Guardian columnist nearly dies of hypothermia whilst cycling
in October near Newbury.

Does this quite often happen to cyclists or can we deduce that Mr
Monbiot is a blithering idiot who didn't prepare well for his ride?
Anyway, it's an interesting read.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...r-bicycle-ride

I think we all know that Mr Monbiot is a blithering idiot.

I used to cycle to work (14 miles each way) in all weathers, and never
got really seriously cold.

But if you wear inappropriate clothes, and don't cycle fast enough to
be energetic exercise, then you could quite easily get seriously
chilled.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
B.Gates : quality software :: R.McDonald : gourmet cuisine
Old December 31st 13, 09:37 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

wrote:

Prominent Guardian columnist nearly dies of hypothermia whilst cycling
in October near Newbury.

Does this quite often happen to cyclists or can we deduce that Mr
Monbiot is a blithering idiot who didn't prepare well for his ride?
Anyway, it's an interesting read.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...r-bicycle-ride

A few years ago I was leading a London to Paris cycle ride over the
Easter weekend. Included in the group were a father and adult(ish)
son. They were under the impression that cycling light was the way to
go, and hadn't packed waterproofs - one reason they gave was, "if we
get wet, we then dry out". What they failed to account for was the
cooling effect of drying out while cycling in wet clothes.

The thunder came. I and seven others put on our waterproofs, two did
not. We all got soaked, even through our waterproofs. However, once
the rain stopped, those of us with waterproofs warmed up. Those
without continued to chill.

Both reached the second stage of hypothermia, and I had to put them on
a bus to reach the end of the first stage of the cycle ride.

"blithering idiot" seems to be a fair description. A lightweight
waterproof, even over wet clothing, will keep the heat in.
Old January 1st 14, 01:18 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 31/12/2013 19:08, The Todal wrote:
Prominent Guardian columnist nearly dies of hypothermia whilst cycling
in October near Newbury.

Does this quite often happen to cyclists or can we deduce that Mr
Monbiot is a blithering idiot who didn't prepare well for his ride?
Anyway, it's an interesting read.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...r-bicycle-ride

It actually sounds like a combination of the rain/cold and low blood
sugar or whatever it is that happens when you exercise for a long time
without eating, marathon runners used to call it hitting the wall.

I have certainly had problems with "hitting the wall" whilst riding but
I know to eat if I do and anyway I always have a lightweight waterproof
jacket with me apart from on hot days in mid summer. Also not living
near a moor there are always trees or such like to shelter under, away
from the rain.

It is easy to be smug but I can see how an unlucky inexperienced cyclist
might have problems like Mr Monboit.

Old January 1st 14, 04:18 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Boutros Boutros-PMD

The Todal explained :
Prominent Guardian columnist nearly dies of hypothermia whilst
cycling in October near Newbury.

Does this quite often happen to cyclists or can we deduce that Mr
Monbiot is a blithering idiot who didn't prepare well for his ride?
Anyway, it's an interesting read.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...r-bicycle-ride

No breakfast. There's the problem.

Old January 1st 14, 10:06 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Brian Robertson[_13_]

On 01/01/2014 01:18, Nick wrote:
[...]

That's the trouble, isn't it? It is a dangerous world out there and the
denizens of suburbia don't realise just how dangerous. It is a
terrifying experience feeling your body shutting down as you find
yourself totally out of your depth in bad weather.