Winter Training

Old November 23rd 03, 05:04 PM
KRasmus572

Default Winter Training

New to riding.

Did a couple of 25 mile rides this summer.

Want to do a 100 mile ride next year.

Any advice on training during winter months?

I live in Michigan so riding opportunities will be scarce.

Old November 23rd 03, 09:54 PM
Richard Adams

KRasmus572 wrote:
New to riding.

Did a couple of 25 mile rides this summer.

Want to do a 100 mile ride next year.

Any advice on training during winter months?

I live in Michigan so riding opportunities will be scarce.

When outside, dress for it.

Things to get for winter riding:
- A good base layer shirt, something which wicks away moisture (I've
used polypropylene for skiing and whitewater rafting, great stuff.)
- Cycling jacket, preferably with vents you can open or close as needed.
- Legwarmers, maybe tights to go over these if it's really cold.
- Fullfinger gloves, with decent grip (I just bought a second pair as
first didn't grip very well.)
- Cap/Balaklava
- Booties

Cold isn't so much your enemy as accumulated perspiration, which will
make if far worse. If you're sweating, take off stuff or ease up your pace.

Be prepared for cleaning your bike every ride, as snowmelt can contain
salt, mud, oil and organic crud. Best to have a beater bike for winter
training, not your pride and joy.

Riding on snow and ice can be done, but it's sketchy. It does build
great bike handling skills, assuming you live through it. :-)

I was a paper boy in Midland for 3.5 years, often hauling as many as 150
papers on a three speed bike (narrow tires) through the coldest,
slipperyest, windiest, oh man.. You might want to consider a health club
membership for January-March.

Old November 23rd 03, 11:01 PM
j morelstein

Have you thought about getting an indoor trainer? I use one regularly during
the winter (I live in New York which isn't as cold as Michigan, but I may
hate the cold more than you do) and it keeps me in pretty good shape.
Moreover, with a trainer you can get concentrated exercise in an hour or
less at a time and train specifically for "hillwork" "timetrial" or
"spinning" or what have you without worrying about finding the right kind of
terrain near you home. There are a number of good books on the market which
can help you establish an indoor trainer exercise program. I personally like
the program in Arnie Baker's "Smart Cycling".

If you want to ride outdoors in the (very) cold, try the "Icebike" website
at http://users.rcn.com/icebike/

Good luck and have fun.

Old November 24th 03, 08:57 AM

KRasmus572 wrote:

: Want to do a 100 mile ride next year.

Good luck! There is some ambition in the goal but with regular
training it should be doable :-)

: Any advice on training during winter months?

Get a book about training. They usually have advice on what to do
each part of the year.

: I live in Michigan so riding opportunities will be scarce.

Winter conditions can be beaten, it's not nearly as bad as it
looks at first sight.

Some people like trikes for stability on ice, though they might be
too expensive to be exposed to road salt.

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi
Old November 24th 03, 05:24 PM
Raptor

Indoor cycling is an adequate replacement. You get enough intensity but
usually not the duration. Spin classes at a local gym can leave you
ready to build up the miles in the Spring.

"We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

Old November 24th 03, 07:01 PM
Richard Adams

Raptor wrote:

Indoor cycling is an adequate replacement. You get enough intensity but
usually not the duration. Spin classes at a local gym can leave you
ready to build up the miles in the Spring.

I wonder about such claims as "an hour a day" gives an adequate workout.
I'm not at my best until after at least an hour. On the road or
trail, the first 5 miles are usually warming up. The last 5 miles are
warming down (i.e. don't sprint into the driveway, you'll be sweating
even after your shower.) Everything in between is the real ride and
workout.