my fixie doesn't need improvement

Old February 14th 18, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default my fixie doesn't need improvement

but for some of you...

https://cyclingindustry.news/new-pat...n-bike-system/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 14th 18, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-02-14 09:22, AMuzi wrote:
but for some of you...

https://cyclingindustry.news/new-pat...n-bike-system/

And then, way out in the boonies, your battery gives out.

The guys writing that patent may not have much of a clue about serious
MTB riding. They sketched in rim brakes which were already outdated last
century.

What's next? Anti-lock brakes for MTBs?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old February 15th 18, 08:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2018-02-14 09:22, AMuzi wrote:
but for some of you...

https://cyclingindustry.news/new-pat...n-bike-system/

And then, way out in the boonies, your battery gives out.

The guys writing that patent may not have much of a clue about serious
MTB riding.

You do and Shimano doesn'? Really? People that actually write patents are legal guys.

They sketched in rim brakes which were already outdated last
century.

Drawings in patents are basic drawings just to illustrate what the patents is about. Probably it is not about rim brakes or disk brakes.

Lou

Old February 15th 18, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-02-14 09:22, AMuzi wrote:
but for some of you...

https://cyclingindustry.news/new-pat...n-bike-system/

And then, way out in the boonies, your battery gives out.

The guys writing that patent may not have much of a clue about
serious MTB riding.

You do and Shimano doesn'? Really? People that actually write patents
are legal guys.

No, it's the inventors, with the assistance of patent attorneys. If the
inventor is not involved in writing the patent it will likely result in
a lousy patent. One where many of the claims can easily be shot down in
litigation.

They sketched in rim brakes which were already outdated last
century.

Drawings in patents are basic drawings just to illustrate what the
patents is about. Probably it is not about rim brakes or disk
brakes.

Patent illustrations should be contemporary.

I have been involved in the writing of many patents. For example, when
writing a patent about a bearing and brake failure diagnostic system for
railroad use one does not draw a steam engine on top of the wheels in
this day and age. Or in my case vacuum tubes as amplifying elements.

Old February 16th 18, 05:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

NOLO's self patent book is 3"thick n costs $50.

THERE WILL BE NO CONFUSION

as you write

ABS for normal people is just plain fa$ter not as injurious. Miricacle !

Old February 15th 18, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 10:25:33 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

What's next?

- Pre-wired electrical system for lighting and accessories.
- Radar collison and approach warning system.
- Various anti-theft schemes.
- Ultrasonic crack detection and alarm for carbon fiber frames.
- Acoustic vibration analysis while riding to warn of impending frame
or component failures.
- Built in strain gauges and sensors.
- Gyro stabilization.
- Wings and fins to improve stability.
- Rear view camera and screen.
- Hands free steering with heads up display.
- Reflective 3M painted frame.
- Lighting viewable from any angle (strip lighting).
- Automatic headlight dimming for approaching traffic.
- Inflatable bicycle (for easy storage and portage).
- Non-Newtonian fluid filled tires.
- Autogyro for longer jumps.
- etc...

Anti-lock brakes for MTBs?

Auntie Lock Brakes have already been patented:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20080111342
https://patents.google.com/patent/US6786308
https://patents.google.com/patent/US5730256
etc...

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old February 15th 18, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

What's next?

- Pre-wired electrical system for lighting and accessories.
- Radar collison and approach warning system.
- Various anti-theft schemes.
- Ultrasonic crack detection and alarm for carbon fiber frames.
- Acoustic vibration analysis while riding to warn of impending frame
or component failures.
- Built in strain gauges and sensors.
- Gyro stabilization.
- Wings and fins to improve stability.
- Rear view camera and screen.
- Hands free steering with heads up display.
- Reflective 3M painted frame.
- Lighting viewable from any angle (strip lighting).
- Automatic headlight dimming for approaching traffic.
- Inflatable bicycle (for easy storage and portage).
- Non-Newtonian fluid filled tires.
- Autogyro for longer jumps.
- etc...

I like the autogyro.

Luckily we can still buy bicycles sans electronics. With motor vehicles
that is becoming harder and for some categories one might be forced to
buy used. Saying this as an engineer who designs electronics.

Anti-lock brakes for MTBs?

Auntie Lock Brakes have already been patented:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20080111342
https://patents.google.com/patent/US6786308
https://patents.google.com/patent/US5730256
etc...

For mountain bikers an implementation could result in nasty crashes.

Old February 15th 18, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

[...]

So do I, but I don't think it can be made to work, especially on a
single track trough the trees. The propeller diameter would be too
large. Still, it might be fun to ride off a cliff and slowly glide
down to the ground.

Luckily we can still buy bicycles sans electronics. With motor vehicles
that is becoming harder and for some categories one might be forced to
buy used. Saying this as an engineer who designs electronics.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Anti-lock brakes for MTBs?

Auntie Lock Brakes have already been patented:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20080111342
https://patents.google.com/patent/US6786308
https://patents.google.com/patent/US5730256
etc...

For mountain bikers an implementation could result in nasty crashes.

Ummm... that was your suggestions. It would go nicely with the
microwave (or optical) ground speed sensor. When the wheels and the
ground are moving at different speeds, it would apply the brakes. I'll
have to think of something for hops and jumps, where the wheels slow
down for an extended period. Landing on the ground with the brakes
locked might not be a good idea.

The one thing I really don't like about bicycles is that literally
every crazy idea that someone could possibly suggest, has already been
tried. What keeps bicycling from ossifying in place is that the
number of crazy ideas to try is growing faster than people willing to
try them. There is still hope for technical progress in bicycling.

Old February 15th 18, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

That's what people already said in the 90's yet I still drive a car that
has no power windows, no electric locks, no anti-lock brakes, no
automatic transmission, it's the bare bones model.

Anti-lock brakes for MTBs?

Auntie Lock Brakes have already been patented:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20080111342
https://patents.google.com/patent/US6786308
https://patents.google.com/patent/US5730256
etc...

For mountain bikers an implementation could result in nasty crashes.

Ummm... that was your suggestions.

No, I just a laid out a horror scenario. I would never want anti-lock
brakes on a bicycle, ever. Preferably also not in a car or at least with
a switch-off feature.

... It would go nicely with the
microwave (or optical) ground speed sensor. When the wheels and the
ground are moving at different speeds, it would apply the brakes. I'll
have to think of something for hops and jumps, where the wheels slow
down for an extended period. Landing on the ground with the brakes
locked might not be a good idea.

It would be good business for the surrounding hospitals.

The one thing I really don't like about bicycles is that literally
every crazy idea that someone could possibly suggest, has already been
tried. What keeps bicycling from ossifying in place is that the
number of crazy ideas to try is growing faster than people willing to
try them. There is still hope for technical progress in bicycling.

I primarily want higher quality and durability when it comes to
bicycles. Also, technology often trails motor vehciles so far that it's
not even funny. What is so difficult about a reasonable electrical
system like cars have? I had that on bikes already 40 years ago and the
industry still hasn't figured it out.

Old February 15th 18, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2018-02-14 09:22, AMuzi wrote:
but for some of you...

https://cyclingindustry.news/new-pat...n-bike-system/

And then, way out in the boonies, your battery gives out.

The guys writing that patent may not have much of a clue about serious
MTB riding.

Have you ever ridden or lived with a bike with electronic shifting? I doubt it. Because anyone who has owned and ridden a Shimano Di2 bike would fall on their butt laughing at your nonsense about a battery giving out. Ha Ha Ho Ho. On my Di2 road bike the batteries last 2 to 3 years between charges. Again that is 2 to 3 YEARS between charges. I suspect you replace your shift cables more often than I charge the battery on my Di2 bike. Ha Ha Ho Ho.

And just for your information. When a Di2 battery gets weak and loses the ability to function, the front derailleur shifting will stop first. And then hundreds/thousands of shifts later, the rear shifting will stop. So you have weeks or months of warning long before the rear derailleur stops shifting with Di2.

SELF IMPROVEMENT RETURNS ! datakoll Techniques 1 November 19th 09 02:06 AM
improvement of countries Andre Racing 25 September 20th 08 02:50 AM
Driver Improvement Schemes rola UK 4 February 15th 07 09:15 PM
Improvement :-D wafflycat UK 16 March 30th 05 11:04 AM
Fixie frame found, Fuji Questions, and WTB fixie cranks, wheels,bb, seat,& rear rack Tim Lines Techniques 0 August 17th 03 09:52 PM