It held air

Old April 5th 08, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default It held air

On Apr 3, 7:53 am, Colin Campbell wrote:
wrote:
Yesterday, I noticed a trace of green Slime in a hole in my rear tire.

But the tire was holding air, so I told myself that it was just
left-over slime from a previous flat, not from a new puncture.

Today, the tire still held air, but my pre-flight check forced me to
revise my theory:
http://i25.tinypic.com/2mzk66f.jpg
http://i29.tinypic.com/2j1r690.jpg

The pump and gauge aren't attached to the valve--the pump handle was
just a handy stand to hang the wheel.

The tire probably would have worked fine, but I pulled the tube for
patching, put in another, and chalked up my 14th flat for 2008.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Boy, you bettah find yo'self a road to ride on!

Fourteen flats in 93 days - congratulations. No wait, I think I mean
commiseration.

Carl needs to hire some folks to get out on bikes and ride his route.
Sweepers.
Old April 5th 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 4, 11:45 am, wrote:
On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 05:26:28 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
I can't believe they actually doubled your ride time, but I'd be

I can't figure out where that "doubled ride time" came from.

In your initial response to my first post in this thread, you said:

"I'm willing to put up with a few drops of slime in exchange for
getting home about half the time..."

Even when I read it, I assumed that was likely hyperbolic, but you
*did* also say that "[Your] times improved markedly when I switched to
Slime tubes." I just wondered if you have any numbers. Back before I
"forgot" to reinstall my cyclocomputer, I knew my trip times pretty
well from memory.

Man, I don't miss those days at all.
Old April 5th 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 4, 7:14 pm, Mark
wrote:
Oh, I know, I know! It helps avoid falling down and going boom.

Yeah, especially when the roads are covered with sand. Say, it almost
sounds like I'm bitter about something, huh?
Old April 5th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 5, 11:49 am, wrote:
When I switched to Slime tubes from Tuffies and thick thorn-resistant
tubes on 01-08-2000, my average speed rose from 18.87 mph for the
previous ~350 rides to 19.86 mph...

A whole buck. Eeenteresting. Thanks for that.

As for traction, I'd be surprised if a commuter could notice any
difference due to Tuffy strips.

I have to wonder. I went down on a concrete bike path last Spring.
It was sandy and rainy. The sharp left curve comes at the end of a
steep downhill that sends the path under a highway. I had a Michelin
Transworld City on the front. I had a Tuffy installed, but I'm more
suspicious of the tire; it was a "puncture resistant" flavor with a
kevlar strip beneath the tread, giving the whole tire a distinctly
ovoid cross-section. The tread had long vertical sipes about 2-3mm
wide and deep. I swear I could hear the thing crawling when I'd go
around corners.

Now, I'm not a cornering madman. You will GIS in vain for an image of
me tilted at 35 degrees on some winding mountain road. (And my bike
is red, not yellow; hey, maybe that gets me my 1MPH back?) But I'm
convinced in my lizard brain that the sipes AND the kevlar AND the
Tuffy can't have been goodness.
Old April 6th 08, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
wrote:

On Apr 5, 11:49 am, wrote:
[...]

You are on a slippery slope. Turn back while you can.
Otherwise you will be paying $35 US or more each for 25
mm skins, and blasting around those turns.

--
Michael Press