Shimano 10-speed chain with Campy drivetrain + Jtek?

Old July 26th 05, 02:47 AM
dennis

Default Shimano 10-speed chain with Campy drivetrain + Jtek?

What is the recommended chain to use for the following combination:

Campy derailleurs & shifters 10-speed +
Shimano cassette 10-speed +
Jtek model 1

I already have the Jtek, but the cassette is new and I thought I'd buy
a new chain (following advice to use new chain on new cassettes). My
current chain is campy 10. Should I get a Shimano 10-speed chain?

Will I have problems shifting in front with campy cranks if I use
shimano 10-speed chain?

Old July 26th 05, 03:30 AM
aotearoa706

I run Record 10 and the best chain I've used is Wippermann (Connex) . Also,
it's super easy to take off and clean if that is a feature you want to see.
oups.com...

Old July 26th 05, 08:52 AM
dennis

have you tried the Shimano 10-speed chain? I'm currently using Record
10, but it seems to be a tight fit with very little clearance between
the Shimano 10-speed cogs. I'm wondering if using Shimano 10-speed
chain would make the adjustment more forgiving.

Old July 26th 05, 01:53 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

dennis wrote:
What is the recommended chain to use for the following combination:

Campy derailleurs & shifters 10-speed +
Shimano cassette 10-speed +
Jtek model 1

shimano 10s chain

I already have the Jtek, but the cassette is new and I thought I'd buy
a new chain (following advice to use new chain on new cassettes). My
current chain is campy 10. Should I get a Shimano 10-speed chain?

Will I have problems shifting in front with campy cranks if I use
shimano 10-speed chain?

No but shimano 10s cogs are really close together and the shimano 10s
chain is the thinnest of the lot. A Campag or Wipperman 10s chain will
work but the quietest of the lot is the shaimno for shimano cogs.

Old July 26th 05, 04:17 PM
Brewster Fong

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
oups.com...

dennis wrote:
What is the recommended chain to use for the following combination:

Campy derailleurs & shifters 10-speed +
Shimano cassette 10-speed +
Jtek model 1

shimano 10s chain

I already have the Jtek, but the cassette is new and I thought I'd buy
a new chain (following advice to use new chain on new cassettes). My
current chain is campy 10. Should I get a Shimano 10-speed chain?

Will I have problems shifting in front with campy cranks if I use
shimano 10-speed chain?

No but shimano 10s cogs are really close together and the shimano 10s
chain is the thinnest of the lot. A Campag or Wipperman 10s chain will
work but the quietest of the lot is the shaimno for shimano cogs.

Agree, shimano chains are usually the thinnest around. Just use a Wipperman
or Sram removable link instead of those stupid pins and you're good to go!

Old July 26th 05, 06:17 PM
Paul Kopit

On 25 Jul 2005 18:47:49 -0700, "dennis" wrote:

What is the recommended chain to use for the following combination:

Campy derailleurs & shifters 10-speed +
Shimano cassette 10-speed +
Jtek model 1

I already have the Jtek, but the cassette is new and I thought I'd buy
a new chain (following advice to use new chain on new cassettes). My
current chain is campy 10. Should I get a Shimano 10-speed chain?

Will I have problems shifting in front with campy cranks if I use
shimano 10-speed chain?

I shift a Shiimano 10 cassette in my Campy bike w/o the Jtek. I was
using either IRD or Connex chain and it worked ok. I switched to
Shimano chain and the shifting is perfect. I do use a pre 2001 Campy
rear derailleur.

Old July 26th 05, 06:30 PM
dennis

Agree, shimano chains are usually the thinnest around. Just use a Wipperman
or Sram removable link instead of those stupid pins and you're good to go!

Use a Wipperman Connex link with a shimano chain? Isn't the wipperman
connex link wider than the shimano chain?

Old July 27th 05, 02:17 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

dennis wrote:
Agree, shimano chains are usually the thinnest around. Just use a Wipperman
or Sram removable link instead of those stupid pins and you're good to go!

Use a Wipperman Connex link with a shimano chain? Isn't the wipperman
connex link wider than the shimano chain?

It is but like a Sram 9s link onto a 10s chain like Campagnolo, not
really an issue.