rear hub suggestions for Cannondale touring bike?

Old July 16th 03, 11:26 PM
David Johnston

Default rear hub suggestions for Cannondale touring bike?

I've got a 1999 Cannondale T800 touring bike and I need to build a new
wheel for it. I use it mainly for commuting and getting around town,
almost never for more than 25 miles in a day and usually for much
less. I want to keep the possibility of loaded touring open in the
future. I think I want to use the Mavic T520 rim, but I'm not sure
about hubs. I can't even figure out what the width is of the rear
dropout (why didn't they include that information in the owner's
manual?).

So can anyone recommend a hub? The requirements a 36 holes, 8/9
speed, under $100.

-David
Old July 17th 03, 12:47 AM
James Thomson

"David Johnston" wrote:

I've got a 1999 Cannondale T800 touring bike and I need
to build a new wheel for it. I use it mainly for commuting
and getting around town, almost never for more than 25
miles in a day and usually for much less. I want to keep
the possibility of loaded touring open in the future. I think
I want to use the Mavic T520 rim, but I'm not sure about
hubs. I can't even figure out what the width is of the rear
dropout (why didn't they include that information in the
owner's manual?).

This is simple to measure. Remove the rear wheel, and measure between the
dropout faces with a ruler. To save you the trouble, it's 135mm.

So can anyone recommend a hub? The requirements a
36 holes, 8/9 speed, under $100.

Shimano XT, from US$40.

James Thomson

Old July 17th 03, 01:07 AM
Ted Bennett

I've got a 1999 Cannondale T800 touring bike and I need to build a new
wheel for it. I use it mainly for commuting and getting around town,
almost never for more than 25 miles in a day and usually for much
less. I want to keep the possibility of loaded touring open in the
future. I think I want to use the Mavic T520 rim, but I'm not sure
about hubs. I can't even figure out what the width is of the rear
dropout (why didn't they include that information in the owner's
manual?).

So can anyone recommend a hub? The requirements a 36 holes, 8/9
speed, under $100.

-David

Got a ruler? Measure the distance between the inner faces of the
dropouts, or the distance between the outer faces of the hub's locknuts.
It will be either 130 or 135 millimeters.

Buy a Shimano hub. Common, sturdy, inexpensive, under $100.

--
Ted Bennett
Portland OR
Old July 17th 03, 01:36 AM

I can't even figure out what the width is of the rear
dropout

What type of hubs were on before.
You need to know the spacing before you get a hub.

(remove clothes to reply)
Old July 17th 03, 07:20 AM
Chalo

Ted Bennett wrote:

Buy a Shimano hub. Common, sturdy, inexpensive, under $100.

Cheesy, fitted with non-replaceable bearings, more expensive than
quarters but not as well made, in league with Satan.

Shimano parts are what you got with your bike, or what you scavanged
for free, or what you accepted out of desperation because you were in
the middle of a tour, but not something you seek out. Have a little
dignity already.

Buying Shimano parts new, on purpose, is for folks who buy all their
clothing at Old Navy Sweatshop and eat all their meals at corporate
chain restaurants. It shows a grave lack of discrimination and
creativity, works to stamp out variety and excellence, and isn't even
cheaper than the real thing.

Lest you misunderstand me, Campy is a cop-out, too. It's Macintosh as
compared to Windows, Michelob as compared to Budweiser-- still lame
and missing the point.

There's a world of wondrous variety out there if you only bother to
look.

Chalo Colina

open source, microbrews, and cottage industry bike parts, dammit!
Old July 17th 03, 09:19 PM
Pete Grey

If you want worry-free performance, consider a Phil hub.
I've ridden my Phil equipped tourer to some obscure places, and a large
number of miles over the past 10 years. Never had a failure, or even a
hiccup from the hubs/bearings.

They don't fit your price range thou', that's the downside, but if you plan
on having the bike for a long time...

-pete

om...

Old July 18th 03, 01:55 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

David- So can anyone recommend a hub? The requirements a 36 holes, 8/9
speed, under $100. BRBR

XT if 135mm
ultegra if 130mm-assuming shimano-

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old July 18th 03, 01:57 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

chump- Buy a Shimano hub. Common, sturdy, inexpensive, under $100.

Cheesy, fitted with non-replaceable bearings, more expensive than
quarters but not as well made, in league with Satan. BRBR

Not a fan of shimano BUT at least describe their hubs accurately-replacable,
loose ball bearings...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.