Riding After Broken Wrist

Old February 20th 08, 02:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Bob C

Default Riding After Broken Wrist

Comments on Riding after broken wrist. Got tipped off on a pothole
yesterday, and face 6 weeks in plaster. Didn't take the advice about
not stopping the fall with hands - it all happened too quickly! How
soon did others get back on the bike?
--
Bob C

Old February 20th 08, 02:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 19, 6:03 pm, Bob C patnbob@unwired wrote:
Comments on Riding after broken wrist. Got tipped off on a pothole
yesterday, and face 6 weeks in plaster. Didn't take the advice about
not stopping the fall with hands - it all happened too quickly! How
soon did others get back on the bike?
--
Bob C

I started riding (carefully) with the cast after about a week. Don't
do anything that will cause you to grip too hard - you can still
reinjure the break in spite of the cast. You may find that the reduced
control and increased consequences of falling again are not worth it.
Trainer might be better for the duration.
Old February 20th 08, 02:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

take a look at: http://www.exrx.net/

for the lower arm, hand, finger muscles.
and stretching exercises.

massage and positive thinking help.

circulation too the broken area carries the healing nutrient fluids.

then figure out why you didn't step off.
and why hands were used, inflexively
Old February 20th 08, 04:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Bob C wrote:
Comments on Riding after broken wrist. Got tipped off on a pothole
yesterday, and face 6 weeks in plaster. Didn't take the advice about
not stopping the fall with hands - it all happened too quickly! How
soon did others get back on the bike?

I could not manage to push a file or put weight on the handlebar with
mine for 4~5 weeks after I got my new bionic metal wrist.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/xray.html

I did ride one-handed though!
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old February 20th 08, 04:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 19, 8:40*pm, Colin Campbell wrote:
A Muzi wrote:
Bob C wrote:
Comments on Riding after broken wrist. *Got tipped off on a pothole
yesterday, and face 6 weeks in plaster. *Didn't take the advice about
not stopping the fall with hands - it all happened too quickly! *How
soon did others get back on the bike?

I could not manage to push a file or put weight on the handlebar with
mine for 4~5 weeks after I got my new bionic metal wrist.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/xray.html

I did ride one-handed though!

It almost looks as if there are chain links in there!

Dear Colin,

Yes, the plate does, but Andrew isn't joking.

See figure 3, page 6, a similar wrist plate:

http://www.orthocenterflorida.com/Wrist_Fractures.pdf

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old February 20th 08, 05:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Colin Campbell wrote:
It almost looks as if there are chain links in there!

It was shattered; what docs call an 'old lady break'.
Old February 20th 08, 05:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

On 2/19/2008 7:15 PM A Muzi wrote:
I could not manage to push a file or put weight on the handlebar with
mine for 4~5 weeks after I got my new bionic metal wrist.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/xray.html
I did ride one-handed though!

Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
Oh man, I wish I had an X-ray of my left knee! Titanium from the
mid-femur to the upper tibia. Hurts to walk sometimes, limited range of
motion, but never troubles me riding. I lucked out.

Our ex-staff have infiltrated many organizations; We always 'know
somebody' !
Old February 20th 08, 06:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Feb 19, 8:42*pm, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
wrote:
On 2/19/2008 7:15 PM A Muzi wrote:

I could not manage to push a file or put weight on the handlebar with
mine for 4~5 weeks after I got my new bionic metal wrist.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/xray.html

I did ride one-handed though!

Oh man, I wish I had an X-ray of my left knee! Titanium from the mid-femur
to the upper tibia. Hurts to walk sometimes, limited range of motion, but
never troubles me riding. I lucked out.

Did you have a break just above the femoral head?

I've got titanium all the way down my tibia and plates and screws in
the fibula at the ankle. I'm taking a thumb drive to down-load the x-
rays when I go in for my follow-up in March -- that's when I will get
to bear weight on it. I'm going to use the x-ray as a graphic on my
weight bearing party invitation. -- Jay Beattie.
Old February 20th 08, 06:56 AM posted to aus.bicycle,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 19, 8:03*pm, Bob C patnbob@unwired wrote:
Comments on Riding after broken wrist. *Got tipped off on a pothole
yesterday, and face 6 weeks in plaster. *Didn't take the advice about
not stopping the fall with hands - it all happened too quickly! *How
soon did others get back on the bike?
--
Bob C

had a right wrist fracture about 2 years ago (dominant hand) workplace
accident; 9 months later I still had trouble opening a jar with that
hand. I was riding after the cast came off it was very tender and
sore; not fun especially on climbs, also my hand was very weak pulling
the brakes (big safety concern there). I was warned a reinjury could
cause premanent disability so be mindfull that warning might extend to
yourself. my wrist is still stiff doing pushups and I still lack
torque with that hand.
Old February 20th 08, 10:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Gags

"Bob C" patnbob@unwired wrote in message
.. .
Comments on Riding after broken wrist. Got tipped off on a pothole
yesterday, and face 6 weeks in plaster. Didn't take the advice about not
stopping the fall with hands - it all happened too quickly! How soon did
others get back on the bike?
--
Bob C

It is probably too late for you if you are already in a cast but it makes it
much easier if you get one of the fibreglass casts and get the doc to use
the gore-tex lining for it. This allows you to get the cast wet (showers
and swimming are OK) which stops it from getting manky and reduces the
amount of itchiness and flaky skin that you get.

I broke my left wrist a couple of years ago after an off on the mtb. I was
back riding to work two days after getting a cast put on. I used my
hardtail mtb that has hydraulic discs and I moved the rear brake from the
LHS of the bars to the RHS and put it on upside down. This allowed me to
use my first two fingers to brake (index finger for front brake and middle
finger for rear) and after a couple of rides it felt very natural. I would
rest the piece of the cast across my palm on the bars and every now and then
I would either ride no hands or one handed to give my left hand a rest. I
am lucky enough that my ride of about 22km or so is about 18km or so of bike
trail so I didn't have too much traffic to contend with. The hardest part
was going up steep hills as I had to sit down and spin a low gear rather
than throwing the bike around. I rode to work like this for 6 weeks and
then left the brakes on the same side for a couple of weeks after that until
I was confident that I could operate them again with my left hand.

About 6 years ago I also rode for 6 weeks in Canberra with a cast on my
lower leg. This was actually a bit easier as all I did was replace the SPD
pedal on the LHS with a flat pedal and then I strapped an old reef sandle
over my cast. The worse bit was that I broke my ankle at the start of the
footy season and the old toes were getting a bit cold when riding to work at
0600h with just an old army sock over the cast!!!

Good luck.

Gags

Another wrist slapping spindrift UK 73 June 16th 07 08:05 PM
Another wrist slapping spindrift UK 0 May 23rd 07 11:00 AM
George SAVED Levi's ass, riding with a broken wrist!!!! Impressive [email protected] Racing 19 February 26th 07 06:49 PM
Advice on broken wrist trek-man Australia 1 October 16th 05 09:48 PM
Riding wheel with broken spokes, rebuilding same Michael Rasmussen Techniques 22 December 23rd 04 05:11 PM