Backpack or pannier

Old April 10th 14, 05:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Backpack or pannier

On another thread someone was looking for a new backpack to carry his commuting gear in it. Many people suggested panniers instead.

There are times when a backpack has advantages over panniers. One advantge is that the backpack is immediately ready to go with you and leaves your hands free. Another advantage is that the backpack makes it far easier to go up stairs if you have to carry your bike. I rediscovered that again today when I went to go out to the grocer for some milk and other items. Our elevator is out of service yet again. The idiots here keep holding the door open with their hand and that trips the sensor that is there in case someone falls and blocks the door. Even with 20 plus pounds and the bike it was a lot easier carryig the bike up the stairs than it would have been if those twenty pounds had been in panniers at the rear of the bike making it unbalanced towards the back.

I think that a lot of commuters prefer a backack over panniers because of the convenience of the backpack especially if they make stops to do something and leave the bike, the loa is only a few pounds or they carry their bike up any stairs.

To stop my backpack from moving around over my nylon jacket I use a leather toestrap as a cheststrap and it makes the pack quite secure whilst allowing it to ride lower on my back. That also helps a lot with cooling.

Cheers
Old April 10th 14, 06:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Sir Ridesalot writes:

[...]

I haven't had to carry a bike while wearing a backpack, but at my
previous job I daily carried my Moulton, with rear rack and trunk bag
holding clothes, lunch, and, once a week, hockey skates with a stick
lashed to the frame, up four flights of stairs---preferred to do that
rather then wait for the elevator.

--
Joe Riel
Old April 10th 14, 11:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Another reason to prefer a backpack is if you have a bike that doesn't
support panniers. A Tarmac has no braise-ons (can I still say that with a
CF frame) and even if it did I don't think there would be enough clearance
for the pedals.

Your suggestion for the bag that attached to the seat post was an
alternative. Or I could just use my touring bike.

But for several reasons I'm opting for a backpack. One of my favourite
reasons is that on the days when I can't ride the next day I just leave the
pack in my locker and ride home like I wasn't commuting. Lol.
--
duane
Old April 10th 14, 01:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, April 10, 2014 6:11:51 AM UTC-4, Duane wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

Some handlebar bags are a pretty good size and if loaded are better mounted behind the seat as an oversize seat bag than mounted on the handlebar where weight or size can affect steering. A handlebar bag or one mounted behind the seatpost also cures the heating problem on the back of your body.

Here's one MEC bag.

MEC Rando Handlebar Bag

http://www.mec.ca/product/5026-252/m...10+50002+50156

But a decent backpack isstill more convenient to load and move about with. I have a rather inexpensive pack I often use and fortunately don't find it too hot. Then again, if I'm riding 25 kilometres (15 miles) I usually opt for a small pannier or the trunk bag or the large handlebar bag mounted on the seatpost.

BTW, what material is your Tarmac frame made of?

Cheers
Old April 10th 14, 02:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

http://www.bikepacking.net/category/individual_setups/
Old April 10th 14, 02:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 4/10/2014 3:11 AM, Duane wrote:

snip

Another reason to prefer a backpack is if you have a bike that doesn't
support panniers. A Tarmac has no braise-ons (can I still say that with a
CF frame) and even if it did I don't think there would be enough clearance
for the pedals.

Your suggestion for the bag that attached to the seat post was an
alternative. Or I could just use my touring bike.

But for several reasons I'm opting for a backpack. One of my favourite
reasons is that on the days when I can't ride the next day I just leave the
pack in my locker and ride home like I wasn't commuting. Lol.

There are a few panniers that convert to backpacks. Arkel makes a good
one.
http://www.arkel-od.com/us/all-categories/laptop-bicycle-pannier/bug-cummuting-bag.html.
Not cheap, but not made in China.

Never buy a bicycle that lacks braze-ons (or whatever they're called on
non-steel bicycles) for racks, fenders, bottles, etc.
Old April 10th 14, 02:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

I looked at bags like you posted but opted for a good backpack. I'm
headed to MEC shortly.

BTW, what material is your Tarmac frame made of?

The Tarmac is CF. I also have a Bianchi Volpe from the early 90s that's
lugged cro-moly. I could use that for long distance commutes but for
the moment it's on my trainer in the basement. When I bought the Tarmac
I thought about a Roubaix instead that is more of a touring geometry but
I preferred the Tarmac after testing both.

I'm mostly doing club rides these days and commuting when I can. Out of
maybe 6000km in a season, probably 2000km is commuting. I thought I'd
use the Bianchi for commuting but the Tarmac is more fun to ride.

Cheers

Old April 10th 14, 02:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 4/10/2014 9:12 AM, sms wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I was looking at some of these.

Never buy a bicycle that lacks braze-ons (or whatever they're called on
non-steel bicycles) for racks, fenders, bottles, etc.

Why not? I don't expect to have any racks mounted on this bike. I have
two bottle cages. I don't need anything else on this bike.

Maybe you mean never buy a bike that isn't set up for touring if you
plan to use it for touring? Or more generally, never buy a bike that
doesn't suit your needs.
Old April 10th 14, 02:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

aha ! REI REI

http://goo.gl/4vIrBb

excellent n durabble
Old April 10th 14, 02:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

http://goo.gl/4vIrBb

excellent n durabble

read

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/

backpack dizzykiwi Unicycling 16 September 24th 08 10:42 PM
uni backpack? gabetheunicycleman Unicycling 5 January 18th 07 11:30 AM
Advice wanted: Pannier/backpack combination beerwolf Australia 17 September 27th 06 01:55 PM
Uni dog backpack litldude2 Unicycling 0 January 29th 06 02:05 AM
backpack ICP8456 Unicycling 0 April 28th 05 09:43 PM