Can Shimano ROAD front derailleurs be used with MTB shifters?

Old April 26th 14, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Can Shimano ROAD front derailleurs be used with MTB shifters?

Okay folks.

Building up an MTB bike out of spare parts. Have Shimano front ROAD derailleurs but only MTB Rapid-fire type shifters. Can they be used together? Yes? No?

Cheers
Old April 26th 14, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

we guess no....

here's bloggo

http://goo.gl/60dRtv
Old April 26th 14, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/26/2014 12:50 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Okay folks.

Building up an MTB bike out of spare parts. Have Shimano front ROAD derailleurs but only MTB Rapid-fire type shifters. Can they be used together? Yes? No?

No, the two have different cable travel.

On a double it's workable, on a triple not without much
trouble. Get a compatible road triple front changer. If your
crank is the 22.32.42 setup there isn't really a perfect
match for a road shifter. With a 48 outer, plenty.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 29th 14, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, April 26, 2014 3:56:06 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

No, the two have different cable travel.
On a double it's workable, on a triple not without much
trouble. Get a compatible road triple front changer. If your
crank is the 22.32.42 setup there isn't really a perfect
match for a road shifter. With a 48 outer, plenty.

Thanks! I wish I was in the USA, I would be a loyal customer. But FedEx, UPS, and USPS have done some nasty numbers to me in cross-border shipping.

Will I have the same problem with rear derailleur? Again, Tiagra derailleur, STX rapidfire shifter. I haven't hooked it up yet.

I would rather find a compatible derailleur than change shifters. I'm not sure what is a compatible road shifter than works on flat bars like my old Marin Bear Valley. I also have Exage shifters which I assume are MTB shifters. Both the STX and Exage seem to have similar cable pulls, and the brake levers are integrated. I would like to keep with this. Also, the front triple is a 44 big ring; the bicycle came with a 42 but that leaves top gear a bit short for road and utility riding.

Thanks
Ed
Old April 29th 14, 02:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Ed

look to Universal Cycles or Jenson's offerings for deray in your category of use and cost...

ask the vendor if what you could buy works with what you have.

also notice at UC the shifter/cable extra gizmos for compensating one widely used system with another incompatible WIDELY USED system.

for this ask A.Muzi.