NYC and Bicycles - and the what happened next.

Old November 15th 04, 02:24 AM
Frank Krygowski

Jym Dyer wrote:

=v= Oh, and as far as Effective[TM] Cycling(R) is concerned,
just be aware that it has a zealous ideological aspect to it.
I found it useful ninety-something percent of the time when I
lived elsewhere (amongst Effective(C) acolytes who insist, NO!
IT'S 100% OR NOTHING!)...

So far, I've met only one guy who has that extreme attitude. That's the
guy who literally wrote the book.

Forester _is_ amazingly uncompromising. But if you use his ideas 90+%
of the time, you'll do better than you would with any alternative plan.

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old November 16th 04, 12:55 AM
Jym Dyer

Forester _is_ amazingly uncompromising. But if you use his
ideas 90+% of the time, you'll do better than you would with
any alternative plan.

=v= I agree with that. Though in NYC it might go down to 80+%.
Basically the idea to "behave as traffic" still applies, but
the extent to which such behavior resembles NYC traffic law
isn't something that Forester addresses very much.

=v= On this point it should be noted that the city itself isn't
all that aware of its own traffic laws. Last month in federal
court, the city's legal team admitted that a law the NYPD was
puporting to enforce doesn't apply in the city!
_Jym_

Old November 17th 04, 09:28 AM
RobertH

Frank Krygowski wrote in part:

Forester _is_ amazingly uncompromising. But if you use his ideas 90+%
of the time, you'll do better than you would with any alternative plan.

Unfortunately, it's how you deal with that remaining 10%
--actually I would say about 1% of interactions--which is
most important, by far.

Robert