What's a good inner tube? (presta)

Old April 7th 09, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
LF

Default What's a good inner tube? (presta)

Reading the "What's a good patch?" thread got me to wondering "What's
a good inner tube?" (presta)

It's rainy season here in New England, and elsewhere, which makes for
flat tire season too. I fixed last weeks rainy day flat tire,
finding a small shard of glass had punctured the tire and tube. I was
able to mount the replacement inner tube and tire without tire irons,
so was surprised when it was flat again the next morning.

This was a 700C IRC inner tube, patched last year sometime, or
possibly the year before. This time, the culprit was the stem
separating from the inner tube. A few years ago I had a batch of
Michelin tubes, many of which did the same thing. Ah, quick release
stems.

IIRC, the stem separating from the inner tube is more common than it
use to be. What do you think?

Best,
Larry
Old April 7th 09, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

LF wrote:

IIRC, the stem separating from the inner tube is more common than it
use to be. What do you think?

I've had the best luck with Continental tubes but wait for a sale as
even at Nashbar they're very expensive.
Old April 7th 09, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Apr 6, 8:10*pm, LF wrote:
Reading the "What's a good patch?" thread got me to wondering "What's
a good inner tube?" (presta)

Whatever fits properly. Most folks run undersized tubes in their
tires, even though the supposed numbers agree. Replace Presta tubes at
least every other year, even if they're visually OK, as the valve stem
area dries out and will separate. Use Schrader valve tubes on utility
and touring bikes.

My fleet is three Kendas and a Bontrager right now. Not a flat since I
hit some debris and pinched last summer.

Old April 7th 09, 04:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Stephen Bauman

On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 18:10:21 -0700, LF wrote:

Reading the "What's a good patch?" thread got me to wondering "What's a
good inner tube?" (presta)

It's rainy season here in New England, and elsewhere, which makes for
flat tire season too. I fixed last weeks rainy day flat tire, finding
a small shard of glass had punctured the tire and tube. I was able to
mount the replacement inner tube and tire without tire irons, so was
surprised when it was flat again the next morning.

This was a 700C IRC inner tube, patched last year sometime, or possibly
the year before. This time, the culprit was the stem separating from the
inner tube. A few years ago I had a batch of Michelin tubes, many of
which did the same thing. Ah, quick release stems.

IIRC, the stem separating from the inner tube is more common than it use
to be. What do you think?

I've managed to repair the quick release stems with super glue. It
activates on impact. I apply the glue, press the tube and stem together
hard and hold it for a few minutes. I then let it dry overnight.

As with all repairs attempted with super glue, I have a bottle of nail
polish remover (acetone) handy.
Old April 8th 09, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Larry wrote:
It's rainy season here in New England, and elsewhere, which makes for
flat tire season too

Why should the rainy season be the "flat tire season"?

Andre Jute
Curioser and curioser

Old April 8th 09, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

"Andre Jute" wrote in message

Why should the rainy season be the "flat tire season"?

Water lubricates glass etc making it more prone to cause punctures.

Try slicing a tyre with a sharpish knife in the dry then try with water on
it, and you'll see the difference.

Old April 9th 09, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Andre Jute wrote:
Why should the rainy season be the "flat tire season"?

-snip-

Rubber cuts more readily when wet

Rain disturbs debris on the roadway randomly, tipping up
pointy things

Murphy's Law; 'because it's more inconvenient'

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old April 9th 09, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Carl Sundquist

Andre Jute wrote:
Why should the rainy season be the "flat tire season"?

-snip-

Rubber cuts more readily when wet

Is that because the water serves as a lubricant, allowing sharp objects
to pierce deeper? Conversely, is rubber more resistant to cuts when it's
colder?