Sport touiring bikes: What are they good for?

Old April 8th 09, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sandy[_4_]

Default Sport touiring bikes: What are they good for?

wrote in message
Curious abt what a sport touring bike is
god for over a reg touring bike?

Touring - really?
Sport touring - travel with a Gold Card, send your kit to each hotel stop,
and send the dirty stuff home by mail.
Sport racer - travel with Platinum Card, buy new kit at each spa stop on on
the route, and discard yesterday's kit.
--
Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

Old April 8th 09, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

"Sandy" wrote in message
wrote in message
Curious abt what a sport touring bike is
god for over a reg touring bike?

Touring - really?
Sport touring - travel with a Gold Card, send your kit to each hotel stop,
and send the dirty stuff home by mail.
Sport racer - travel with Platinum Card, buy new kit at each spa stop on
on the route, and discard yesterday's kit.
--
Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

Sport spender - travel with Black Card, buy new hotel or spa at each stop.
Kerry

Old April 8th 09, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Apr 7, 7:36*pm, wrote:
Curious abt what a sport touring bike is
god for over a reg touring bike?

Interestingly, Dawes says of their Sportif range:
http://www.dawescycles.com/p-151-sportif-comp.aspx
"The Sportif range is designed especially for Sportif or Audax riders.
The geometry is just a little more upright and shorter than our
standard road bikes and with frame materials specifically chosen for
added comfort for longer hours in the saddle."
By contrast, of their classic Galaxy tourer, Dawes says:
http://www.dawescycles.com/p-20-galaxy.aspx
"a smooth but reliably strong ride for the longest journies [sic]"

Both appear to be fitted with fenders and a rear rack as standard but
the sports-tourer (aka audax) model is lighter. But note that in the
Dawes terminology both are contrasted with road bikes, that neither is
a sprinter, both are longdistance bikes, the sports tourer however an
endurance racer with space for luggage whereas the tourer is a
tourist's bike.

Andre Jute
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/Andre%20Jute's%20Utopia%20Kranich.pdf
Old April 8th 09, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Apr 8, 1:46*am, "Kerry Montgomery" wrote:
"Sandy" wrote in message

wrote in message
.. .
Curious abt what a sport touring bike is
god for over a reg touring bike?

Touring - really?
Sport touring - travel with a Gold Card, send your kit to each hotel stop,
and send the dirty stuff home by mail.
Sport racer - travel with Platinum Card, buy new kit at each spa stop on
on the route, and discard yesterday's kit.
--
Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

Sport spender - travel with Black Card, buy new hotel or spa at each stop..
Kerry

Last of the big spenders -- travel with Black Hole, forget which
hotels and spas you bought. -- AJ
Old April 8th 09, 02:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_3_]

Default Sport touring bikes: What are they good for?

aka Russell Seaton wrote:
On Apr 7, 1:48 pm, wrote:
"

wrote:
On Apr 7, 1:36 pm, wrote:
Curious abt what a sport touring bike is
god for over a reg touring bike?
Generally it will be built from a lighter tubing and likely have
slightly quicker geometry. It will be more fun, lively to ride
unloaded than a touring bike. But it won't be able to handle racks
front and back and dual sets of panniers. Sport touring will likely
handle fenders and a rear rack. Sport touring would be almost but not
quite racing handling, gemetry but able to fit the racks and fenders.

I'm wanting to buy a new bike and was
originally thinking a full on touring
bike such as LHT

However, my LONG tours would likely be
only once a year..... and daily use
would be likely a good hour long ride or
maybe several hrs on weekends

Hence, I'm thinking a full on touring
bike may not be best option for me.
Agree?

If your long tour requires you to carry panniers then you will have to
get a loaded touring bike. The sport touring bike will not handle
front panniers. Likely work with rear panniers, so travel light. If
you pull a trailer on your long tour, then a sport touring bike will
work fine. I sure would not want to compromise with a less fun bike
to ride like a touring bike just for that once every couple years
ride. Touring bikes are trucks. Not fun to ride. Racing bikes and
sport touring bikes are more fun to ride. Sports cars.

Great as both a touring bicycle AND a sport riding bicycle:
http://www.phred.org/~alex/bikes/rocket.html.

Regrettably out of production due to prejudice against small wheels.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old April 8th 09, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Apr 7, 4:29*pm, Peter Rathmann wrote:
On Apr 7, 12:36*pm, "

wrote:
On Apr 7, 1:48*pm, wrote:

"

wrote:
On Apr 7, 1:36*pm, wrote:
[...]

My Cannondale that was sold as a Crit racing bike handles front (and
rear) panniers just fine. *A little ingenuity in mounting options is
all that's normally required. *It doesn't have much clearance for wide
tires, so that would be more of an issue if planning longer off-road
tours on it. *But it's good as a touring bike on paved roads and a few
limited excursions onto gravel.

Funny you should mention that. I toured on my ancient Cannondale
Black Lightning, but I used a handlebar bag rather than front
panniers. I did use rear panniers. It was great -- responsive, stiff
and not a giant boat anchor. I did some gravel roads, but not many.

I've seen people blithely touring on racing bikes, tourning bikes,
sport touring, mountain bikes, etc., etc. No unicycles yet. Having a
special purpose bike with all sorts of bells and whistles if fun, but
not necessary. -- Jay Beattie.
Old April 8th 09, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BobT[_3_]

If your long tour requires you to carry panniers then you will have to
get a loaded touring bike. The sport touring bike will not handle
front panniers. Likely work with rear panniers, so travel light. If
you pull a trailer on your long tour, then a sport touring bike will
work fine. I sure would not want to compromise with a less fun bike
to ride like a touring bike just for that once every couple years
ride. Touring bikes are trucks. Not fun to ride. Racing bikes and
sport touring bikes are more fun to ride. Sports cars.

I enjoy driving my truck and riding my touring bike!

BobT

Old April 8th 09, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,

wrote:
On Apr 7, 1:48*pm, wrote:

"

wrote:
On Apr 7, 1:36*pm, wrote:
[...]

http://www.unicycling.net/buyersguide.htm#touring

Not mentioned there is the Schlumpf 2-speed unicycle hub, based on their
2-speed BB designs.

http://www.schlumpf.ch/uni_engl.htm

No word on where the panniers go.

Returning to the original question, most of the "sport touring" or
"century" bikes are barely any heavier than regular road racing bikes,
but they usually feature more bars-up geometry for...people who can't
bend so much, or simply don't need to.

My opinion is that they're great bikes that do most things well. They're
not for heavily loaded touring; most of them are built for long rides
with modest loads.

That said, the truckishness of touring bikes has been overstated. My
winter/commuter/training bike is an ancient Miyata 210 tourer. I ride it
on my winter club rides (very serious racing club) and the bike, fenders
rack and all, is fine. As long as the engine is okay, mind.

In conclusion, it doesn't matter.

Old April 8th 09, 03:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

yep fersure. no kicking around touring your classic Packard or Grosser
Merc Straight Six ex John Deere...
one reads posts sometimes garnering impressions that not a whole lotta
experience in the subject is brought to bear in making statement not
so much for asking a question or an inquiry...
the touring frame is an example. touring is hard work. granted there
are radoneur amungus but for us sloths its hard work. A frame saving
10% energy over 50-75 miles on a hot summer's day iza big deal at 4:30
when there's a shower/swim, dinner and camp set up ahead.

Sport Chalet has Marin bikes! Ablang Techniques 3 June 22nd 08 06:37 PM
Looking for good bikes forte88 General 6 January 17th 06 11:51 PM
Are Any of these Bikes Any Good ? [email protected] UK 19 February 20th 05 03:31 PM
sport bikes vs road bikes cameronn Australia 2 January 12th 04 03:54 AM
Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc Any Good? Darren Mountain Biking 3 August 31st 03 01:00 PM