What motivates you? AND WHY?

Old November 15th 04, 09:57 PM
Ronsonic

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 08:42:29 -0800, Bill Baka wrote:

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 15:29:26 +0000, Just zis Guy, you know?
wrote:

Bill Baka wrote:

How about a little challenge here. Everyone, me included, buy a
speedometer
for their bikes and see what is the absolute top speed they can get up
to.

What? You don't have a computer? ;-)

Temporary money shortage, and I want to find one that I can download
data into my computer, and 4 bikes now, so maybe a wireless that I
can move from bike to bike.

Pshaw.

Get the $10 thing at walmart. I works as well as any of them (honest) and you
can buy one for each bike cheaper than a bike store unit and three extra
mounting kits.

Ron

48.8mph one way, 25mph average for one circuit of a track (just short of
1/2 mile, I think, and on a windy day). That was on my current everyday
commuter bike. The best average speed I've achieved for a week's
commuting was just shy of 20mph, and I have average over 20mph there and
back on my old commute. That was I think on the old bike. I've also
done 41 miles in a minute or two under 2h, no appreciable wind.

Sometimes I think if I trained, maybe I could go fast, but I don't
really have the motivation.

25 MPH average for 1/2 mile sounds about right, then stop and pant.
48.8 MPH? That seems a bit high and I would think you would be
RPM'ed out at that speed. What was the gearing?
Bill Baka

Old November 16th 04, 03:48 AM
Ben Kaufman

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:50:53 -0500, Ronsonic wrote:

Here's a few random thoughts on my motivation - I'm 49 and recently gave up a
long career as an accomplished chain-smoker. Not for health reasons or anything,
just that the wheezing noise got annoying. Between age, inactivity, previous
physical insults, etc, I was having some very severe pains and aches. If I ride
at least twice a week, I'm not in pain. If I ride three times a week the rides
don't hurt either. If I ride more than that, the rides are fun.

Now here's the thing, there's no way I'd be out there riding like this if it
were just to meet some minimum exercise requirement. Remember, I smoked for
decades and quit because it was interfering with other aspects of my life, not
because "it is bad for me." Screw that. If the only down side to smoking were
that I"d die sooner, I'd still be puffing. It's the wheezing and out of breath
for the rest of my life thing that bothers me. There are things more fun than
smoking that I prefered to do - one of them is ride a bike.

SNIP

Wheezing and being out of breath are health problems. Death is the point where
your worries are over. I watched it all happen to my grandfather, and as he
spent his final days in the hospital barely able to breathe with an oxygen mask
he begged us for a cigarette. :-(

Ben
Old November 16th 04, 04:57 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:00:01 -0500, Ronsonic wrote:

For me, the smoking was costing me too many other options (like riding hard and
well) and woulda taken out the motor before the wheels and doors fell off. I
hope your grandfather enjoyed his life as much as I'm enjoying mine. As for
wanting a smoke on ones deathbed, I'll ask for one too. Sheesh, that'd be
exactly the time to not worry about it.

Yeah, well, we all want to die aged 98 shot by a jealous husband, but
if you do smoke that oxygen tent and its associated painful endgame is
likely to come a lot sooner.

Not that I've ever been tempted. I'm asthmatic, and cigarette smoke
screws me up badly. I get really annoyed when people light up as the
train stops because they want to get in a nicotine fix in the brief
walk from suburban to underground services.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old November 16th 04, 05:00 PM
Ronsonic

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 03:48:29 GMT, Ben Kaufman
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:50:53 -0500, Ronsonic wrote:

Here's a few random thoughts on my motivation - I'm 49 and recently gave up a
long career as an accomplished chain-smoker. Not for health reasons or anything,
just that the wheezing noise got annoying.

Wheezing and being out of breath are health problems.

Ya think? Maybe it's a symptom or something.

Death is the point where
your worries are over. I watched it all happen to my grandfather, and as he
spent his final days in the hospital barely able to breathe with an oxygen mask
he begged us for a cigarette. :-(

Death is the point where your worries are over. And if you meet it with pink
perfect lungs you missed an opportunity to enjoy another smoke. If all the
joints are good, ya shoulda played harder. If the liver's perfect you passed up
too many cocktails. I wanna go out like the Blues Brothers' car.

Old November 16th 04, 05:35 PM
Bill Baka

wrote:

Death is the point where your worries are over. And if you meet it with
pink
perfect lungs you missed an opportunity to enjoy another smoke. If all
the
joints are good, ya shoulda played harder. If the liver's perfect you
passed up
too many cocktails. I wanna go out like the Blues Brothers' car.

Ron

I can meet death with perfect pink lungs except for my wifes leftovers.
My joints are all good even after sports injuries because I use them.
I quit drinking cold turkey at 54 and 2 years later my liver is
that of a teenager. I never get sick and ride almost every day.
Food poisoning in 1986, same week as the Challenger blew up.
Flu once in 1978.
Food poisoning from old leftovers in 1977.
Nothing since except a few hangovers that convinced me to quit drinking.
And yeah, I like adrenalin rushes like bungee jumping, sky diving, rock
climbing, 50 MPH downhills on a bike, 150+ on a good motorcycle.

Live right and you will have fun longer.
Bill (not always politically correct) Baka
Old November 17th 04, 01:17 AM
Ronsonic

wrote:

[...]

There ya go, have fun longer.

Bill (not always politically correct) Baka

Enjoy.

Ron