First uni recommendations

Old September 22nd 08, 11:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Wota

Default First uni recommendations

I am interested in getting an uni, my uncle and a cousin both have one
and I think I would like to learn to ride. I was looking at getting a
Torker lx 24", I have heard from a couple other forums that they aren't
pieces of junk and could be good to learn some more advanced stuff on
later. If I ever get serious about riding I would either go for
touring or trials so I think even though a 24" is harder to learn on
but it would give me more used to touring if I wanted to. Any
recommendations or ideas? I don't want to break the bank on my first
uni, I just need one that won't fall apart. Any help would be
appreciated. Thanks

--
Wota
Old September 23rd 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

Welcome
The LX is a great learner.

Sonds like you've picked the ideal size for you.
20 - tricks, learning, and light trials is easier, but it's slow and
doesn't roll over bumps well.
24 - The above is a bit harder, but it's faster, and rolls over bumps
better.
- on either of these you could cheaply put on some different sized
'cranks ' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=847)and make
it better for distance or light MUni (shorter longer)
Caution: the seat on the LX is like a well shaped brick. You may want
to upgrade it (or modify), which will likely require a new post.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'
(http://unicycletips.com/)*'Trials class system'
(http://tinyurl.com/yqpvxk)*'Trials Building'
Old September 23rd 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Eroick

Yep, the LX is a good start. The next step up from that would be
something like this:
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1057 which has a
splined crank set and a better saddle. However, if you know that you
want to do touring or trials, why spend lots on a 24? Actually, you
could consider starting with a trials cycle. It would be a bit more
expensive, but save money in the long run.
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1090 would be a good
trials uni, but its more expensive...

But if you just want to learn for now, get the Torker LX. Unicycle.com
has them in stock.

--
Eroick

--Eric Evenchick
Email/MSN:
'Municycle.ca: Canada's Unicycle.com'
(
http://www.municycle.ca)
Old September 23rd 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

I think the best deal now is a Torker ax. A newer design with stainless
spokes, alum frame and an ok seat, it is a bit lighter then the Lx and
costs 5 $ more if you buy it here. UDC charges top retail price for
there unis.

http://www.niagaracycle.com/index.php?cPath=82

This place has an excellent seller rating on Amazon.

Either a 20 or 24 is nice. Personally, I would suggest a 24 now, and
buy a splined 20 later if you get into trials.

--
feel the light
Old September 23rd 08, 03:42 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Wota

Thanks for all the feedback, I really have no idea what I'm doing. I'll
think about the ax, but I would like to try a little bit of everything,
so I might stick with the lx.

--
Wota
Old September 23rd 08, 05:00 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
The UniSLAB

If you ever come up to dallas let me know. There's plenty of us up here
that ride

--
The UniSLAB

Spoonthumb wrote:
Does it make you feel good? Arguing on the internet?

'$100 right now if you beat this gap'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oig5IEq-v4Y)
Real talk
Old September 23rd 08, 06:40 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
laxguy92

yup the LX is a good idea. that was my first uni and it was a good
learner

--
laxguy92
Old September 23rd 08, 06:42 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

It has a lot of fans on the board, and has been around longer then the
ax. Either one is fine. I like the lightness of the ax.

You can use an ax for light muni, even if you are 170 lbs like me. I
ride my ax 29 everywhere I do my KH's and it holds up fine. I don't
jump off anything more then a foot though. Unless you are a lot heavier
then me , an lx or ax will hold up fine. If you want to jump off of tall
things or are a heavy hopping mad man, these KH's seem the best deal on
the web now.

http://tinyurl.com/5u2akj

I hear many parts on the lx and ax are the same. You are paying 5 $
more for the stainless spokes, alum frame and large diameter alum post,
alex rim etc.

I wish I knew someone with an lx so we could compare seats. I think the
ax seat is ok, good for 10 miles, some say the lx seat sucks, but the ax
seat may be identical for all I know. Not everyone likes the same
seats.

--
feel the light
Old September 23rd 08, 07:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Wota

I've got a couple cousins in Dallas, I might contact you next tie I'm
there UniSLAB. But I have a terrible memory about stuff like this .

--
Wota
Old September 23rd 08, 08:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
wheel-addict

If you have a good feeling that you will stick with uncycling, I would
strongly recommend spending the extra to get the uni that Eroick
mentioned above (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1057).
Here's why: eventually you will get to the point where you start
hopping on your unicycle. I don't mean even 1 foot jumps, just normal
hopping. This will eventually break the weak LX hub (see
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=46643). There is
absolutely no compatible replacement LX hub available for purchase.
The closest thing (the Suzue hub at UDC) will require new spokes
because the flanges are too tall. This sucks. The Torker AX is even
worse because virtually no part on that uni is standard (esp. the seat
post width!).

The good thing about the UDC uni Eroick and I are recommending is that
all its parts are compatible with other standard uni/bike parts. You
can upgrade/fix everything on the UDC Nimbus uni until you have a
completely new uni. I hate owning stuff that I can't fix, and thus I
will avoid Torker in the future.

Just my 2cents.

- Mark

--
wheel-addict

Bar recommendations [email protected] Techniques 9 July 5th 06 10:17 PM
HRM recommendations BruceA Australia 12 October 24th 05 02:57 PM
GPS Recommendations Jason Settles Techniques 23 August 11th 05 05:34 AM
Looking for MTB recommendations Boyd Speerschneider Mountain Biking 90 April 1st 04 09:08 PM