clincher roll-off revisited

Old July 28th 03, 10:19 PM
James Annan

Default clincher roll-off revisited

Jay Beattie wrote:

So, why would it blow off if it is not over-inflated, or if there is not
a gross mismatch between rim and tire?

How do you judge 'gross mismatch' other than with hindsight?

James

Old July 29th 03, 12:22 AM
Jay Beattie

"James Annan" wrote in message
Jay Beattie wrote:

So, why would it blow off if it is not over-inflated, or if there is

not
a gross mismatch between rim and tire?

How do you judge 'gross mismatch' other than with hindsight?

Rattles around like a hula hoop on a skinny kid. If it is within the
range of ordinary tightness (meaning that some effort has to be exerted
with your thumbs to get the tire on the rim), then there must be
something more subtle causing the blow off. I am curious to find out
what that is. -- Jay Beattie.

Old July 31st 03, 02:58 AM
Tom Paterson

From: Spacey Spade

I'm going to air up my tire to max, as I
think this makes the tire stiffer to side loads.

If you heat it up with a lot of braking, and it's already at "max", it will
then have "more than max", possible to blow a clincher off the rim. See FAQ,
I've never had the problem (since I use @110lbs as a max) but there are reports
otherwise.
--Tom Paterson