How not to sell a BIONX P250 kit

Old July 2nd 08, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
johns

Default How not to sell a BIONX P250 kit

I'm a careful consumer, and I like to check before
I buy. Over the last month or so, I've been trying
to get information about a new P250 BIONX hub motor
kit for my new Giant bicycle. According to the
BIONX web site, the P250 hub motor weighs 7.7
pounds, and should be an easy install on my bike.

From the BIONX web site, I found a local dealer
who was ready to sell me the kit for a reduced
price. I asked him to describe the kit to me, and
when he got to the hub motor, his description did
not match the BIONX kit as advertised. He said the
BIONX P250 hub motor weighs about 15 + pounds
rather than the advertised 7.7 pounds. Also, he
told me that BIONX was severely back ordered
for 6 months or more. On the BIONX web site, they
claim 1 week or less delivery.

So, I emailed BIONX in NYC ... no reply. At over
$1200 for the kit, I'm a little concerned. I emailed
another local dealer in the next state, and again
I asked some basic questions about the P250 kit.
The reply was, "Yes. Well sell the BIONX P250 kit."

I finally get BIONX in NYC on the phone, and ask
the same questions. The guy seems to be in a
great hurry to get me off the phone, and his
reply was again, "Yes we have the P250 kit."
No facts. No answers. He just tells me to go to
the web site and order the P250 kit.

Sure. You bet. I'll get right on it. Soon as I
have time, I'll just type it right in, and sit
here waiting for my new BIONX P250 kit to come
in the mail.

Oh yeah. About that bridge in NYC ....

johns
Old July 2nd 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Reno wrote:
johns wrote
I know what you mean. I found the local dealer from their web site and
phoned them. I was told "we can order one for you if you want. They are
pretty expensive, maybe $2,000. We haven't sold any yet." No wonder!

I found two local dealers and neither one could get the bikes running for
more than a minute or so. They claimed the batteries had been on chargers
but they wouldn't go more than a few hundred feet.

This industry seems doomed to fail. I hope the next generation of electric
bikes and dealers are better.

$2K ?!? Huh?
Better than a used motorcycle why?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old July 2nd 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
johns

$2K ?!? *Huh?
Better than a used motorcycle why?

These alternate energy pipe dreams are just that.
I rode a motorcycle for 20 years in all weather
including deep snow on my KTM - Penton Enduro.
The Penton 6-Day 125cc was streeet legal, and
I could handle snow 2 feet deep when the 4WDs
were slidding to the curb. The Penton got about
55 mpg, and was so well constucted that I had
very few maintainance problems. I saw a KTM
tourning bike in Germany that was based on
the enduro standards, but had thin lightweight
street tires, faring, bags, and a big soft seat
with back rest. Oh man ! Bring that bike over
to the USA, and I will buy it and park my 4wd
truck until I need to haul bricks or something.

I'm riding my bicycle to work 3 days a week, so
I'm beating the gas prices pretty good already.
Just want to go every day ... and a hub motor
sounded like a good idea until I got to looking
closer at this thing. Maybe the Japs will jump
into this nitch and give us some better quality.
Right now, I don't believe any of that hype about
50 miles on a single charge. More like 5 miles
tops I'm guessing. 5 miles and a lot of excuses.

johns