mini v-brake as replacement for canti

Old July 2nd 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mariusz

Default mini v-brake as replacement for canti

hi there,
I have just bought this bicycle :

http://www.allegro.pl/item365581018_365581018.html

I have changed drop bar, and brake levers - now this bike has shimano
rx100 levers.
I want to replace the canti brakes with mini v-brake :

http://www.allegro.pl/item389296203_... aju_etc_.html

My concern is :
1)do I need travel agent for : shimano rx100 lever + mini v-brake
2)what about clearance : fenders and racks - it could be impossible
to install v-brake becouse of them

regards
Mariusz
Old July 2nd 08, 04:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

http://www.allegro.pl/item389296203_...o_trekkinga_pr...

My concern is :
1)do I need travel agent for : shimano rx100 lever + mini v-brake
2)what about clearance : fenders and racks - it could be impossible
to install v-brake becouse of them

regards
Mariusz

Mariusz - I'm not sure, but I think you'll need a Travel Agent.
You'll almost certainly have problems clearing your fenders.

Why do you want to change?

My touring bike had wide L-shaped cantilevers, like yours. I didn't
like the fact that they stuck out so far to the sides. (I had some
clearance problems with my panniers.) So I used low-profile
cantilevers instead, something like the Shimano Basic at
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/cantilevers/index.html

No clearance problems, even with fenders and fat tires. No travel
agent. No changing brake levers. And braking is fine. Perhaps you
should consider those.

- Frank Krygowski
Old July 2nd 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Jul 2, 9:00 am, mariusz wrote:
hi there,
I have just bought this bicycle :

http://www.allegro.pl/item365581018_365581018.html

I have changed drop bar, and brake levers - now this bike has shimano
rx100 levers.
I want to replace the canti brakes with mini v-brake :

http://www.allegro.pl/item389296203_...o_trekkinga_pr...

My concern is :
1)do I need travel agent for : shimano rx100 lever + mini v-brake
2)what about clearance : fenders and racks - it could be impossible
to install v-brake becouse of them

regards
Mariusz

I have a set of Tektro Mini Vs and a set of Shimano "aero" brake
levers (specifically, Shimano BL-L331) on one of my bikes.

I can tell you from first hand experience that you *will not* need a
"Travel Agent". As to tire clearance, on my bike, those brakes easily
clear a 38mm (actual measured width) tire, the largest size I have
tried. And they will clear fenders and a 32mm tire (again, this is
actual measured width).

**(This is my first hand experience, as opposed to the "thought
experiments" and idle speculation of some others.)
Old July 2nd 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jul 2, 11:36 am, Ozark Bicycle
wrote:
On Jul 2, 9:00 am, mariusz wrote:

[...]

OK, Sheldon Brown agrees that no Travel Agent is needed. (He says "it
doesn't need a V-type brake lever," which amounts to the same thing.)

Here's a shot of his Raleigh 20 showing the amount of clearance he
got.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/org/rale...enty-8-10.html

He doesn't seem to say what the tire size is, but in this shot
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/org/rale...enty-8-04.html
it seems to say "37-406." So if your cantilever studs are placed like
his (probably true) this gives you a good idea of what you'll get.

**(This is my first hand experience, as opposed to the "thought
experiments" and idle speculation of some others.)

Down, boy! There there, that's a good lad. ;-)

- Frank Krygowski
Old July 2nd 08, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
It's Chris

I have the Tektro Mini's on my tourer, paired with Dia Compe Canti brake
levers. I use Travel agents, straight through on the front, it's too
powerfull using the amplification feature. Amplified on the rear to make
up for the extra stretch from the longer cable, housing, flex from the
stays compared to the stiffer front forks, etc.

It gives a much more solid feel to the brake (I never did like the
"mushy" feel of Linear pulls)

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"