Just Rolling Along

Old September 24th 19, 11:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Just Rolling Along

I guess I did the Death Ride which I think was called "The Tour of the California Alps" at the time. Or maybe those are two different rides. I was wearing a Alta Alpina jersey the other day and some guy passing the opposite direction turned around and rode up and was gushing about my LeMond Zurich. I have 55 mm deep carbon tubeless wheels on it. He was riding a new Pinarello with that 2" square down tube on it.

He asked me if I had done all 8 passes. Uh, the Death Ride is 5 passes and it never bothered me except you are climbing so slowly at 8,000+ feet that it takes all blankity blanking day to do it.

So is the Tour of the California Alps a different ride?
Old September 25th 19, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, September 24, 2019 at 3:57:18 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
I guess I did the Death Ride which I think was called "The Tour of the California Alps" at the time. Or maybe those are two different rides. I was wearing a Alta Alpina jersey the other day and some guy passing the opposite direction turned around and rode up and was gushing about my LeMond Zurich.. I have 55 mm deep carbon tubeless wheels on it. He was riding a new Pinarello with that 2" square down tube on it.

He asked me if I had done all 8 passes. Uh, the Death Ride is 5 passes and it never bothered me except you are climbing so slowly at 8,000+ feet that it takes all blankity blanking day to do it.

So is the Tour of the California Alps a different ride?

Tom, are you afraid to Google it? The answer to your question is the Death Ride is the Tour of California Alps. I did a six pass version of "Death Ride the 13th" that was about 19K feet. The course went over Ebbetts twice (front and back) plus half of Pacific Grade, which is like stair steps. I thought that was pretty awesome -- until my son's teammate did 32K feet in a day in SLC. That is awesome -- or freakish You pick.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 25th 19, 05:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:
[...]

A couple of mates rode up and down the Gateway Bridge near Brisbane.

https://everesting.cc/hall-of-fame/#/hill/528866438

Mind numbing.

--
JS
Old September 25th 19, 03:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:
[...]

My son's friend did two Everests (on separate days, of course) -- one grand adventure going up and down the canyons in Salt Lake and the other a mind-numbing hill repeat: https://everesting.cc/hall-of-fame/#/hill/1261509407 11.31% over and over, 10555 meters in 12.5 hrs. I respect that -- and roll my eyes.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 26th 19, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Tuesday, September 24, 2019 at 7:45:21 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I assume you made a typo since the Death Ride only has 5 passes. Which was my question about this guy asking about 8 passes. I used to lay out courses so I could EASILY put 8 passes into such a ride but it would be a double century.

From memory the Death ride is a double metric.
Old September 26th 19, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/25/2019 6:45 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

From memory the Death ride is a double metric.

I do not know (and did not do a web search either) but
annual event rides here, just as le Tour, il Giro and la
Vuelts have route changes every year so it is not
unreasonable to assume your ride had 5 one year, 6 the next
and eight another.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 26th 19, 04:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, September 25, 2019 at 4:45:25 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

From memory the Death ride is a double metric.

Five usually, six passes on "Death Ride the 13th" -- the 13th running of the ride, which was way back in 1992. That version was 140-150 miles, IIRC.

-- Jay Beattie.

they see me rolling John Forrest Tomlinson Racing 2 September 16th 08 05:54 PM
Help with rolling hop!! Det-riot Unicycling 15 December 10th 06 12:33 PM
Rolling hop help. andytait Unicycling 11 September 14th 06 01:07 PM
Rolling hop help nathanj Unicycling 5 July 29th 06 04:43 AM
Rolling along Euan Australia 19 December 14th 05 07:56 PM