worn pants

Old November 17th 19, 04:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default worn pants

On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 9:45:16 PM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

If cloth on a leather saddle abrades a hole in cloth, then maybe
trading materials will help. Wear lederhosen (leather pants) and ride
on a cloth saddle. That way, you abrade a hole in the bicycle saddle
and remain presentable in the lederhosen.

Presentable lederhosen? Except in some very special places, I think that's an
oxymoron.

(I hope that's not culturally insensitive!)

Sheep skin is known for preventing bed sores caused by pressure
points. However, that doesn't involve friction or abrasion. All the
sheep skin does is distribute the static pressure over a wider area so
as not to produce bruises and sores.

I'm not sure that's true. I suspect that hair in general, and thick fur even
more, reduces friction at least for small amplitude movements. I'm envisioning
each hair (or layer of hair) sliding over the adjacent layer, between the pants
and the saddle.

As evidence, have you ever seen a sheep stuck against a solid surface? I haven't.

;-)

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 17th 19, 06:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 20:32:35 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 9:45:16 PM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

If cloth on a leather saddle abrades a hole in cloth, then maybe
trading materials will help. Wear lederhosen (leather pants) and ride
on a cloth saddle. That way, you abrade a hole in the bicycle saddle
and remain presentable in the lederhosen.

Presentable lederhosen? Except in some very special places, I think that's an
oxymoron.

(I hope that's not culturally insensitive!)

Well Leder Hosen literally means Leather Pants, or Trousers and
https://shop.nordstrom.com/c/womens-...000485_8000502
Shows some pretty presentable leather pants :-)
or
https://www.bloomingdales.com/buy/le...ants-for-women

I do notice that faux leather is quite prevalent. I believe that the
Faux is a creature that lives in the lower Fiscal Ranges in both the
U.S. and Europe :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

Old November 17th 19, 04:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 9:45:16 PM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

If cloth on a leather saddle abrades a hole in cloth, then maybe
trading materials will help. Wear lederhosen (leather pants) and ride
on a cloth saddle. That way, you abrade a hole in the bicycle saddle
and remain presentable in the lederhosen.

Presentable lederhosen? Except in some very special places, I think that's an
oxymoron.

(I hope that's not culturally insensitive!)

Well Leder Hosen literally means Leather Pants, or Trousers and
https://shop.nordstrom.com/c/womens-...000485_8000502
Shows some pretty presentable leather pants :-)

Good point! It all depends what's inside the pants.

We were at a sort of ethnic festival some years back, and one of our
village councilmen showed up in lederhosen like these:
https://www.lederhosenstore.com/

It was more than a bit odd, since the most anyone else did was wear a
cap or T-shirt with the name of their ancestral country.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 17th 19, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dieter Britz[_4_]

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 18:45:12 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 15:56:20 -0000 (UTC), Dieter Britz
wrote:

[...]
If cloth on a leather saddle abrades a hole in cloth, then maybe trading
materials will help. Wear lederhosen (leather pants) and ride on a

Yes, and yodle as you ride.

--
Dieter Britz

Old November 17th 19, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 9:45:16 PM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

If cloth on a leather saddle abrades a hole in cloth, then maybe
trading materials will help. Wear lederhosen (leather pants) and ride
on a cloth saddle. That way, you abrade a hole in the bicycle saddle
and remain presentable in the lederhosen.

Presentable lederhosen? Except in some very special places, I think that's an
oxymoron.

Wear a neck tie with the lederhosen and you're instantly considered
presentable. Also, I goofed. Real lederhosen is made from goat or
deer hide, not cow hide.
https://www.oktoberfest-dirndl-shop.co.uk/blog/news/deerskin-leather-is-best-for-lederhosen

(I hope that's not culturally insensitive!)

I was born in Munchen Germany. You'll get a letter from my attorney
in a few days demanding a retraction for defamation of my character. I
have a photo buried somewhere of me and my father in lederhosen. I
think I was about 5 years old in the photo.

Sheep skin is known for preventing bed sores caused by pressure
points. However, that doesn't involve friction or abrasion. All the
sheep skin does is distribute the static pressure over a wider area so
as not to produce bruises and sores.

I'm not sure that's true. I suspect that hair in general, and thick fur even
more, reduces friction at least for small amplitude movements. I'm envisioning
each hair (or layer of hair) sliding over the adjacent layer, between the pants
and the saddle.

I'm sure it's true. My father had a stroke in 1986 which paralyzed
his left side. Bed sores eventually became a problem. He couldn't
feel the pressure point on his left side, so he didn't roll around in
bed to relieve the pressure. The result was bed sores. We purchased
a sheep skin bed pad, something like one of these:
https://www.sheepskintown.com/medical-sheepskins-c-69.html
See the section starting with "About our Medical Sheepskin" for
benefits and characteristics of these pads. Note the commends on
"distributing the weight".

One could use a urethane foam pad to provide a similar spread of
weight distribution. However, foam would not provide sufficient air
flow through the pad to remain cool and would probably be difficult to
clean and disinfect.

If the bicycle saddle induced abrasions are caused excessive load
concentration, such as at the top of the saddle, a "softer" saddle or
a sheep skin should help. However, if the abrasions are caused by
friction between the saddle and the clothing, I would not expect much
of an improvement.

As evidence, have you ever seen a sheep stuck against a solid surface? I haven't.

I don't know about sheep skins, but the abrasive qualities of cloth
are much the same as sandpaper. If the surface is smooth, little or
no material is removed. If the surface is rough, the surface is first
polished and then abraded. When my fathers garment factory was
attempting to make women's sportswear, we had an odd problem. To save
cost, we use dyed synthetic cloth, where the colors were only on the
surface of the material. Natural fibers absorb the dyes like a
sponge, and factory colored material is all the same color throughout
the material. What was happening was the seat of the pants were
wearing where they came in contact with automobile upholstery, horse
saddles, boat seats, etc. It didn't seem to matter if they sat on
something hard or soft, the color was wearing off. It turned out the
culprit was dirt, which would act as an abrasive. The coefficient of
friction between clean materials was only slightly significant.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old November 17th 19, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

wrote:
If cloth on a leather saddle abrades a hole in cloth, then maybe
trading materials will help.Â* Wear lederhosen (leather pants) and ride
on a cloth saddle.Â* That way, you abrade a hole in the bicycle saddle
and remain presentable in the lederhosen.

Presentable lederhosen? Except in some very special places, I think
that's an
oxymoron.

(I hope that's not culturally insensitive!)

Well Leder Hosen literally means Leather Pants, or Trousers and
https://shop.nordstrom.com/c/womens-...000485_8000502
Shows some pretty presentable leather pants :-)

Good point! It all depends what's inside the pants.

This is the real deal

https://www.amazon.ca/Forum-Womens-D.../dp/B0157YG4GW

Comes with beer, pigtails and a silly hat.

Old November 17th 19, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 16:14:35 -0000 (UTC), Dieter Britz
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 18:45:12 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 15:56:20 -0000 (UTC), Dieter Britz
wrote:

[...]
If cloth on a leather saddle abrades a hole in cloth, then maybe trading
materials will help. Wear lederhosen (leather pants) and ride on a

Yes, and yodle as you ride.

I don't think yodeling will help prevent saddle sores and damage to
your pants. There are also other problems. It seems to very
difficult to yodel in any position other than standing up. Leaning
over on a bicycle, while breathing in synchronization with the pedals,
seems rather difficult. It might be possible in an upright posture on
a "comfort bicycle" or recumbent, but posture probably has little
effect on the breathing synchronization problem.
https://www.wikihow.com/Yodel
I just tried it on an exercise bicycle. I was able to produce vaguely
yodel-like noises when my head was upright and when pedaling slowly.
But, when I sped up, I couldn't do it. Perhaps someone with more
expertise in yodeling while pedaling could volunteer some additional
input.

Old November 17th 19, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 11/16/2019 6:45 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
If you don't change the fake leather saddle and the unspecified type
cloth pants, you could eliminate the problem by simply applying a
greasy lubricant to your pants. Unfortunately, this only works for
mechanics. Second best is to place a layer of something between the
fake leather saddle and the cloth pants, that is less susceptible to
abrasion and is fairly slippery. Cellophane wrap, Teflon sheet, wax
paper, aluminum foil, etc will work. Anything that is contiguous,
stretches tight without wrinkles, and does not trap dirt, will work.

If you can put a layer of aluminum foil on a bicycle saddle without
wrinkles, I think you could get a lot of hits on YouTube. Fame awaits.

Mark J.
Old November 18th 19, 02:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 15:56:20 +0000, Dieter Britz wrote:

I know probably most of you are recreational cyclists, using lycra gear,
but I ride my bike to work and back every day, and I wear a hole into
the seat of my pants after a year or two. The rest of the pants are
still OK.

Would one of those sheep skin seat covers help with that?
I have a fairly hard racing saddle.

Probably, I've used one and I've never experienced wearing a hole in my
cotton work pants that I use for bicycling.

FYI - Keep your pants on! zog Australia 0 December 13th 05 08:16 AM
Bike pants TimC Australia 1 December 12th 05 11:05 PM
Tom Pants [email protected] General 0 December 27th 04 08:33 PM
Pants vernon levy UK 12 July 25th 04 10:02 AM
More Drivel on "Look" Cleats - How Worn is Too Worn? Suzy Jackson Australia 5 August 22nd 03 07:42 AM