Direct Mount Brakes

Old November 25th 19, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Direct Mount Brakes

Can anyone tell me what these things are and how they are mounted? They don't have the single mount center bolt in the back as far as I can tell and the brake cables appear to come in at and odd angle. So you seem to need a special fork and frame that has the cables sticking way out into the wind.

Of course this is purely from conjecture since all I've seen is photos.
Old November 25th 19, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, November 25, 2019 at 9:04:56 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
Can anyone tell me what these things are and how they are mounted? They don't have the single mount center bolt in the back as far as I can tell and the brake cables appear to come in at and odd angle. So you seem to need a special fork and frame that has the cables sticking way out into the wind.

Of course this is purely from conjecture since all I've seen is photos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH1muFxv1Bg

Lou
Old November 25th 19, 10:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, 25 November 2019 16:01:41 UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, November 25, 2019 at 9:04:56 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
Can anyone tell me what these things are and how they are mounted? They don't have the single mount center bolt in the back as far as I can tell and the brake cables appear to come in at and odd angle. So you seem to need a special fork and frame that has the cables sticking way out into the wind.

Of course this is purely from conjecture since all I've seen is photos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH1muFxv1Bg

Lou

A nice design to make your previous fork and frame obsolete. LOL

Cheers
Old November 25th 19, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Monday, November 25, 2019 at 2:13:56 PM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, 25 November 2019 16:01:41 UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, November 25, 2019 at 9:04:56 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
Can anyone tell me what these things are and how they are mounted? They don't have the single mount center bolt in the back as far as I can tell and the brake cables appear to come in at and odd angle. So you seem to need a special fork and frame that has the cables sticking way out into the wind.

Of course this is purely from conjecture since all I've seen is photos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH1muFxv1Bg

Lou

A nice design to make your previous fork and frame obsolete. LOL

Cheers

I'm thinking that is what it is. I noticed some bike or another I was just looking at on eBay was designed for those. It had front brakes mounted on the back of the fork which I THINK they passed rules against for racing for some reason or another. I think that Trek had those on one of their TT bikes.
Old November 26th 19, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, November 25, 2019 at 11:13:56 PM UTC+1, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, 25 November 2019 16:01:41 UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, November 25, 2019 at 9:04:56 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
Can anyone tell me what these things are and how they are mounted? They don't have the single mount center bolt in the back as far as I can tell and the brake cables appear to come in at and odd angle. So you seem to need a special fork and frame that has the cables sticking way out into the wind.

Of course this is purely from conjecture since all I've seen is photos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH1muFxv1Bg

Lou

A nice design to make your previous fork and frame obsolete. LOL

Cheers

You get the brakes that fit your frame and fork not the other way round. Direct mount and central mount calipers are both available in modern gruppos.

Lou
Old November 29th 19, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

We used to call them U-brakes, and originally they had enough room inside for full sized tires and fenders.

I'm not sure what the point was in making them less useful.