Wacky jacket!

Old April 15th 08, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon D

Default Wacky jacket!

I don't think this has been posted befo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/te...00/7340963.stm

If it had been dated April 1st, instead of April 10th, I might well
have wondered...

--
Simon

Old April 16th 08, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark T[_2_]

Simon D writtificated

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/te...00/7340963.stm

Great idea, but it needs to go from red when trundling along/accelerating
to a brighter red when slowing down. IMO green means Go or Pass, which is
not the message you want to give when going through a pinch point.
Old April 16th 08, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
BIG_ONE

On 16 Apr 2008 11:14:33 GMT, Mark T
pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_ reply*.com.invalid
wrote:

Simon D writtificated

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/te...00/7340963.stm

Great idea, but it needs to go from red when trundling along/accelerating
to a brighter red when slowing down. IMO green means Go or Pass, which is
not the message you want to give when going through a pinch point.

yea - WTF are they green for!
Old April 16th 08, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin Dann

FS Simon D wrote:
I don't think this has been posted befo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/te...00/7340963.stm

If it had been dated April 1st, instead of April 10th, I might well have
wondered...

There is a vid of the guy on You Tube. He does not have any lits on his
bike. He also manages to either cycle past a no entry sign, or the wrong
way down a one way street or something.
Old April 16th 08, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
vernon[_2_]

"Simon D" wrote in message
I don't think this has been posted befo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/te...00/7340963.stm

If it had been dated April 1st, instead of April 10th, I might well have
wondered...

If folk won't pay a few quid for a rear light, why would they fork out lots
of monay to look like a badly decorated Xmas tree.

It's a poorly thought out series of solutions looking for problems to solve.

Old April 17th 08, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alan Braggins

In article , vernon wrote:

"Simon D" wrote in message
I don't think this has been posted befo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/te...00/7340963.stm

If it had been dated April 1st, instead of April 10th, I might well have
wondered...

If folk won't pay a few quid for a rear light, why would they fork out lots
of monay to look like a badly decorated Xmas tree.

Who says he didn't have a rear light as well? He claims:
"I noticed that cars passed me more slowly, gave me more room, and that
the drivers and passengers were even making eye contact."

It's plausible that something unusual would have that effect - we've
seen recumbent riders make similar comments. Of course if it is just
being unusual that makes the difference it does mean that if it became
popular, it would be useless. And more evidence than the anecdotal
experience of the designer would be nice, obviously.
Old April 17th 08, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
BIG_ONE

kimble wrote:

I've recently been experimenting with a home-brew brake light on my
bike, built into the shell of a mudguard-mounted dynamo light. Like
those of motor vehicles, it's bright red when braking, and off when not.
I have a separate, rack-mounted rear light for visibility.

It's actually a significant-deceleration-of-rear-wheel light (using a
magnetic pick-up from a cheap Chinese bike computer and some
microcontroller logic[1]), so functionally similar to the jacket.
Measuring deceleration is a great way to do this on a bike, as it works
when you're slowed by gradients (including speed bumps) or gusts of
wind, which can be just as significant as deliberate braking.

I have noticed some anecdotal reduction in tailgating through pinch
points and especially at speed bumps, where presumably its novelty value
(and message in a language they understand) serves to get drivers'
attention.

this I can see the advantage of - I kinda liked those brake pads with
red leds in them (anyone try them?) which I just couldn't bring
myself to get
Old April 17th 08, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Danny Colyer

On 17/04/2008 17:37, big_one wrote:
I kinda liked those brake pads with
red leds in them (anyone try them?)

Yes. Kinetics were selling a load off cheap a few years ago (the
batteries had passed their stated expiry date).

It's a nice idea, but with just a single small LED in each block they're
not going to add much to the visibility you get from a decent rear
light. I paid less for them than I'd usually pay for brake blocks, and
they were perfectly adequate blocks, so I was happy enough but I
wouldn't say they were worth paying full price for.

which I just couldn't bring
myself to get

--
Danny Colyer http://www.redpedals.co.uk
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis