DANGER! DANGER! Beware wandering sheep if MTBing in Greece

Old September 22nd 15, 09:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default DANGER! DANGER! Beware wandering sheep if MTBing in Greece

On 22/09/15 17:46, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 3:07:10 AM UTC-4, James wrote:
Snipped
I've had bees go in to my helmet while riding and sting me.
They've also on a couple of occasions, got caught between the strap
and the side of my face and stung me. Neither of which would
happen if I was wearing no helmet or a cotton cap, for example.

I glued fine mesh bridal Veil inside the vents of my helmet. I
carefuly removed the black trim tape that held on the thin shell and
then tacked with silocone the thin bridal veil to tthe outside of the
helmet over each vent. then I just put the shel back on and secured
it with new tape. I've never had anything get coaught in the straps.

I recommend riders wear clear safety glasses to protect their eyes if
it's to dim for sunglasses.

My latest helmet has a bug mesh over the air vents in the front as
standard, but I've still had bugs go in the top vents when I put my head
down.

I don't think tampering with a helmet in a country where helmets are
mandated by law (where I live), would be a sensible thing - if there was
a collision and your head got damaged, etc. It is illegal to modify a
helmet, I believe. Even attaching a video camera with a rubber band may
be a no-no.

--
JS
Old September 22nd 15, 09:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 4:03:47 AM UTC-4, James wrote:
Snipped

My latest helmet has a bug mesh over the air vents in the front as
standard, but I've still had bugs go in the top vents when I put my head
down.

I don't think tampering with a helmet in a country where helmets are
mandated by law (where I live), would be a sensible thing - if there was
a collision and your head got damaged, etc. It is illegal to modify a
helmet, I believe. Even attaching a video camera with a rubber band may
be a no-no.

--
JS

Okay. Then make the mesh the shape and size to cover the entire helmet. It can use an elastic draw cord to hold it in place; like a rain cover for helmets does.

Cheers
Old September 22nd 15, 02:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/22/2015 12:57 AM, James wrote:

I had a first for me today. I hit a bird. It appeared to collide with
the front tyre. It tumbled a few times, got up and flew away. I was
unscathed.

I've had a bird run into me and die. IIRC it hit my hand that was on
the handlebar. I couldn't see why it died. The impact didn't seem very
great.

Lucky I was wearing a helmet. I might have fallen off and
hit my head, but didn't, this time.

Perhaps my bird should have worn a helmet?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 22nd 15, 03:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Frank Krygowski writes:

On 9/22/2015 12:57 AM, James wrote:

I had a first for me today. I hit a bird. It appeared to collide with
the front tyre. It tumbled a few times, got up and flew away. I was
unscathed.

I've had a bird run into me and die. IIRC it hit my hand that was on
the handlebar. I couldn't see why it died. The impact didn't seem
very great.

My wife puts seed out in the backyard, so there are plenty of birds
around. When the Coopers hawk dives into the yard, the birds scatter
and occasionally run into the back window, despite its pattern of dots
to make it visible. It sure sounds like they hit it hard. A few die.
Some are stunned for a while then shake it off, assuming the hawk
doesn't find them.

--
Joe Riel
Old September 23rd 15, 04:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

:Seems like, since horseflys are so slow and easy to kill by swatting,
:there would be selection pressure for them to develop a painless bite.

Horses are not known for their swatting prowess.

--
sig 71
Old September 23rd 15, 12:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 03:10:54 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
wrote:

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

:Seems like, since horseflys are so slow and easy to kill by swatting,
:there would be selection pressure for them to develop a painless bite.

Horses are not known for their swatting prowess.

Gee, and I always though that was why they had those long tails :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

Danger! Danger! in PDX jbeattie Techniques 3 May 14th 15 11:07 AM
London "Danger! Danger!" Frank Krygowski[_2_] Techniques 66 December 19th 13 01:21 AM
Danger Danger! Graham Techniques 161 December 3rd 13 09:11 PM
Danger! Danger! (Worst liability waiver?) [email protected] General 16 February 12th 08 08:18 AM
DO NOT WEAR YOUR HELMLET!! DANGER, DANGER, danger TJ Mountain Biking 4 December 23rd 06 06:03 PM