Portland Surges to 7.2 Percent

Old September 18th 15, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Portland Surges to 7.2 Percent

http://bikeportland.org/2015/09/17/p...te-to-7-159171

Ka-cha! Got you Frank. The cycle tracks are bringing them out in droves!

-- Jay Beattie
Old September 18th 15, 08:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 9/17/2015 7:23 PM, jbeattie wrote:
http://bikeportland.org/2015/09/17/p...te-to-7-159171

Ka-cha! Got you Frank. The cycle tracks are bringing them out in droves!

-- Jay Beattie

"I’ve been a skeptic about the ability of neighborhood greenways to lure
people out of cars, because I think the network isn’t very intuitive to
new users."

But even if they aren't intuitive, those that are willing to bike
commute when there is a more viable route are willing to make the effort
to understand them.

Cycling rates rise and fall for such a wide variety of reasons that
three theories aren't nearly enough.

At least they came up with some good theories for the increase that did
not blame helmets for a non-existent decline.
Old September 18th 15, 07:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Thursday, September 17, 2015 at 10:23:14 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
http://bikeportland.org/2015/09/17/p...te-to-7-159171

Ka-cha! Got you Frank. The cycle tracks are bringing them out in droves!

-- Jay Beattie

Well, something's generated a few more droves, perhaps. We'll see in a year
or two whether this is a blip, a trend, or a statistical fluke.

I'll note yet again that the data given applies only to those living within
Portland city limits. Some may imagine that 7.2% of vehicles on-road in
PDX are bikes, but that's far from the case. All those driving in from
suburbs (including Washington State) are not part of the data.

If it is a real increase, what do you think might have caused it? The flat
line for the past five years suggests that it's not the increasing number of
(sometimes weird) facilities. A cause-effect relationship should have
something resembling a dose response, not a flat line followed by a jump.

- Frank Krygowski
Old September 18th 15, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, September 18, 2015 at 11:21:51 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

My guess as to increase: (1) people sick of MV traffic congestion, (2) gentrification of close-in north and northeast neighborhoods, (3) huge new condo development close-in westside waterfront, although that probably means more walkers and street car users, but some may ride, (4) global warming -- no kidding; it rains less than it used to, (5) some of the facilities may draw timid riders, primarily the bike boulevards, but those have been around for years. (6) It's weird and hip to ride a bike.

-- Jay Beattie

Old September 18th 15, 10:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Frank ....

BEFORE I READ THAT IZZIT PROPAGANDA OR A FACTUAL STATEMENT ?

BTW, with Portland down on the Columbia, is there land available for city expansion as the Portland city business network ?

Old September 18th 15, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 9/18/2015 2:06 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I'm pretty sure that the fact that Portland did not pass an MHL is the
sole reason for the increase in cycling rates.

Old September 19th 15, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/18/2015 5:06 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Which of those are step changes, that would produce a step response?
Again, this jump follows five years of data showing (and people
complaining) that bike use wasn't increasing at all, despite lots of
infrastructure additions.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 19th 15, 02:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

MHL MHL MHL ?

Mobile High-Definition Link ?

more Musk etherway ?

Old September 19th 15, 05:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

PORTLAND commuting

http://media.salon.com/2015/03/selma.jpg
Old September 19th 15, 08:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, September 18, 2015 at 5:58:53 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

(1) - (3) are step changes -- particularly all the condo infill in the south waterfront. Traffic has also gotten really bad in the past few years due to the influx of people. Major facilities have not changed, except for the addition of the south waterfront (SW Moody) cycle track. Nothing about my commute has changed in the last 20 years, except the number of cyclists. Oh, I did get some flashing lights going over the bridges. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgYXYtzbv0w -- flashing lights at the head of that bridge and another. O.K., I confess, it does make me feel safer, but I've been riding down that road for 30 years without them. I haven't seen a surge in ridership since the lights were installed, and a lot of bicyclists go over the hills in to town. I'm too lazy most mornings. Why do a bunch of climbing to lose 400 feet elevation?

-- Jay Beattie.