best alloy clincher rims

Old September 27th 15, 10:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mark cleary

Default best alloy clincher rims

Forget the price, what are the best alloy rims for clincher wheels that can
be had? Seems HED are maybe the top of heap or possible Pancenti, but lets
get through the marketing and what is the real world experience? For some
reason, and I have not experience I think maybe DT Swiss. Been looking at
the 440 O/C rear for a build. Set the deacon straight.

Deacon Mark Cleary

Epiphany Roman Catholic Church.

Old September 27th 15, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 28/09/15 07:57, mark cleary wrote:
Forget the price, what are the best alloy rims for clincher wheels that
can be had? Seems HED are maybe the top of heap or possible Pancenti,
but lets get through the marketing and what is the real world
experience? For some reason, and I have not experience I think maybe DT
Swiss. Been looking at the 440 O/C rear for a build. Set the deacon
straight.

Define "best", please. Most durable? Lightest? Most aerodynamic?
Braking performance? There are usually compromises between competing
qualities.

And for a road bike in 700c?

--
JS
Old September 27th 15, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Sun rims made in Ohio or nearby.......
Old September 27th 15, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mark cleary

Fair enough. Let say rims that are quality control wise have the best
lateral, radial, and joint surface. I am not talking so much about type of
rim but QC. But if pressed I would say and all round lightweight rim, not
specifically aero, but just smooth riding for long Grand Fondo's.

Old September 28th 15, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 28/09/15 08:44, mark cleary wrote:
Fair enough. Let say rims that are quality control wise have the best
lateral, radial, and joint surface. I am not talking so much about type
of rim but QC. But if pressed I would say and all round lightweight rim,
not specifically aero, but just smooth riding for long Grand Fondo's.

Carbon fibre rims have no joint like aluminium rims, and can potentially
be made to exacting standards, are also typically light and made aero,
but with that usually comes stiffness. Unless your tyres and/or frame
are supple, the ride may not be as smooth as some lower profile and less
aero rims.

Then of course, CFRP clincher rims have other problems.

--
JS
Old September 28th 15, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

"James" wrote in message ...

On 28/09/15 07:57, mark cleary wrote:
Forget the price, what are the best alloy rims for clincher wheels that
can be had? Seems HED are maybe the top of heap or possible Pancenti,
but lets get through the marketing and what is the real world
experience? For some reason, and I have not experience I think maybe DT
Swiss. Been looking at the 440 O/C rear for a build. Set the deacon
straight.

Define "best", please. Most durable? Lightest? Most aerodynamic?
Braking performance? There are usually compromises between competing
qualities.

And for a road bike in 700c?

My HED wheels are pretty light and have proven to be quite durable.
18,000 km and no broken spokes. Don't think I've even had to true them.
On Québec roads that's saying something. But whether they're better than
DT Swiss for example I can't say. Compare the specs.

--
duane
Old September 28th 15, 05:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Price is no object? Congratulations; so much for the vow of poverty, huh? But if you ever do go back to the vow, you might find that Mavic Open Sport rims are OK.
Old September 28th 15, 02:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, September 28, 2015 at 12:49:32 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Price is no object? Congratulations; so much for the vow of poverty, huh? But if you ever do go back to the vow, you might find that Mavic Open Sport rims are OK.

///////////////////////

MAVIC RIMS USED BY POPES EVERYWHERE !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Fondo

'In some countries, mainly the US, the name "Gran Fondo" has been misused for other events, mainly bike tours in open traffic. Those are called "Cicloturismo" in Italy and have nothing in common with a true Gran Fondo. Riders are not timed and have to adhere to traffic rules. In fact, only a handful of self acclaimed granfondos are true Gran Fondo events.'
Old September 28th 15, 02:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/27/2015 4:57 PM, mark cleary wrote:
Forget the price, what are the best alloy rims for clincher
wheels that can be had? Seems HED are maybe the top of heap
or possible Pancenti, but lets get through the marketing and
what is the real world experience? For some reason, and I
have not experience I think maybe DT Swiss. Been looking at
the 440 O/C rear for a build. Set the deacon straight.

Deacon Mark Cleary

Epiphany Roman Catholic Church.

no clear 'best'.

Durable, light, aero, O/C, narrow, stiff can all be had but
maybe not in one rim.

Price and color are other variables plus wear indicators,
nipple inserts, roundness as delivered and so on. Many
factors hence many choices.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 28th 15, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, September 28, 2015 at 6:45:34 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I think the DT rims are reasonably priced, very round (easy to build) and durable. My inexpensive DT 450 wheels have stayed incredibly true after lots of pounding. The Aerohead OCs were too light for me and prone to mechanical damage - e.g. dented sidewalls -- and cracking at the spoke holes at what I considered reasonable tensions (high end of factory recommended).

-- Jay Beattie.