Does Crank Length Matter Anymore

Old October 5th 15, 03:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Does Crank Length Matter Anymore

On Sun, 4 Oct 2015 19:00:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Yawl have oak, ash, hard and soft maple, aspen mmmmm aspen ?

We have madrone, oak, fir, pine, redwood, and broken up pallets in
order of decreasing desireability.

live oak doesn't burn.

I burn mostly oak and madrone. Mostly white oak, but I sometimes get
live oak. Oak burns quite nicely (when dry).

https://goo.gl/tGMFLQ

Nice, but this format works just as well for Google images:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=firewood+stacking+methods
I have zero artistic talent and will not attempt a firewood pile
sculpture.

Here's my pile for this year. About 1.4 cords:
http://www.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/home/slides/firewood-2015.html
and previous piles:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/home/

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 5th 15, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Sun, 4 Oct 2015 10:37:23 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:
I've been using 175s and even 177.5 for 40 years, but with all the
gears now available, I'm wondering if length makes all that much
difference, to a point. I wonder if I could feel the difference
between a 175 and a 170mm.

I'm really more interested in whether my son would feel the
difference, because I can get a killer deal on an expensive crank that
is 170mm. He rides a 175 usually and has long legs.

My track bike had 167.5 cranks and my road bikes have 175s. I'd notice
the difference for about 10 feet and then it would be unimportant. I
had 180s for a while and those possibly aggravated a torn medial
meniscus in my left knee; I got rid of those and haven't tried 180s
since. I also had surgery and got rid of some of the meniscus...

Remember to adjust the saddle height to compensate, which removes much
of the difference in feel between the different crank lengths.
Old October 5th 15, 06:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 05/10/15 12:48, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 4 Oct 2015 19:00:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Yawl have oak, ash, hard and soft maple, aspen mmmmm aspen ?

We have madrone, oak, fir, pine, redwood, and broken up pallets in
order of decreasing desireability.

live oak doesn't burn.

I burn mostly oak and madrone. Mostly white oak, but I sometimes get
live oak. Oak burns quite nicely (when dry).

https://goo.gl/tGMFLQ

Nice, but this format works just as well for Google images:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=firewood+stacking+methods
I have zero artistic talent and will not attempt a firewood pile
sculpture.

Here's my pile for this year. About 1.4 cords:
http://www.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/home/slides/firewood-2015.html
and previous piles:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/home/

I've heard piles can be very uncomfortable. I just replaced about 200m
of fence, and the old posts were of ironbark. I have maybe 50 of them
in my shed. Some I can reuse. Others will make excellent firewood.

http://www.woodsolutions.com.au/Wood...s/red-ironbark

--
JS
Old October 5th 15, 10:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Graham

"jbeattie" wrote in message ...
I've been using 175s and even 177.5 for 40 years, but with all the gears now available, I'm wondering if length makes all that much difference, to a point. I wonder if I could feel the difference between a 175 and a 170mm.

I'm really more interested in whether my son would feel the difference, because I can get a killer deal on an expensive crank that is 170mm. He rides a 175 usually and has long legs.

-- Jay Beattie.

There is a lengthy discussion of it he

http://bikedynamics.co.uk/FitGuidecranks.htm

Graham.

---

Old October 5th 15, 02:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Greg Berchin[_3_]

wrote:

I've been using 175s and even 177.5 for 40 years, but with all the gears
now available, I'm wondering if length makes all that much difference,
to a point. I wonder if I could feel the difference between a 175 and a
170mm.

FWIW, I'm 6'4" tall with a 36" inseam. I've tried 170, 175, and 180 mm
cranks, and I like 170 best. I'm a pathetic climber but a strong
sprinter; I found that the longer cranks didn't help at all with my
climbing, but they really reduced my ability to spin.
Old October 5th 15, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

wrote:

I've been using 175s and even 177.5 for 40 years, but with all the gears
now available, I'm wondering if length makes all that much difference,
to a point. I wonder if I could feel the difference between a 175 and a
170mm.

FWIW, I'm 6'4" tall with a 36" inseam. I've tried 170, 175, and 180 mm
cranks, and I like 170 best. I'm a pathetic climber but a strong
sprinter; I found that the longer cranks didn't help at all with my
climbing, but they really reduced my ability to spin.

My last bike was a 54 with a crank length of 172.5. My current bike is
a 52 with a 170 crank. Frames are similar - both Tarmacs, old one an
Elite and the new one a pro. Initially I was worried about the length
being shorter but it didn't seem to make a difference. The bike sizing
is different with the different size frame.

I seem to have been able to spin better this past year with the new one
so you may be right. But it's hard to say which change caused which
effect. Different size bike. 53/39 to 52/34. 10 speed to 11 speed.

But I can't say that I've actually noticed any difference with the crank
size. Maybe if I had changed the crank only.
Old October 5th 15, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

Crank length changes are supposed to have a more significant impact on shorter riders. I wonder if going 5mm shorter for a tall rider (he's 6'5" and change) would be more or less likely to get lost in the noise -- or, alternately, that it would annoy him. He is a very good climber for his size, but he spins -- he always spins . . . sprinting, climbing, JRA. I don't know where he got his spinning style, because I grind.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 5th 15, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I grind too, especially on climbs which is probably why I suck at
climbing.

I think in my case the difference was also lost in the noise. I'm 5'8"
so not that tall. I was actually hoping the shorter crank would give me
more clearance between toe and front wheel but alas the wheel base is a
bit shorter too so nothing gained there.

Old October 5th 15, 11:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bertrand

Crank length changes are supposed to have a more significant impact on
shorter riders. I wonder if going 5mm shorter for a tall rider (he's 6'5"
and change) would be more or less likely to get lost in the noise -- or,
alternately, that it would annoy him. He is a very good climber for his
size, but he spins -- he always spins . . . sprinting, climbing, JRA. I
don't know where he got his spinning style, because I grind.

I grind too, especially on climbs which is probably why I suck at
climbing.

Do you grind on climbs because you prefer a low cadence? Or would you use a
lower gear (and higher cadence) if you had it?

Old October 6th 15, 01:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Crank as Brandt..

http://bikedynamics.co.uk/FitGuidecranks.htm

for OCTOBER'S SHOVEL AWARD ! super....

needed wuhwuhwuh needed get it ? nee dead ? wuhwuhwuh

I regress..

izza database of knee injuries for crank size before changing and crank size after changing. with psychological profile where we immediately throw out J
both !

spinning is the obvious no damage area...so your son should spin. wanna agrue with this ?

I had a knee let go climbing a intercoatal bridg doig the grind power thing. painless. zzzzzlip....immobullized and the knee went back to square one. thank you knee gods.

no warning....zzzzlip no knee.

for me I cannah or haven't learned to prevent bouncing when spinning faster n faster. a deafinite PITA.

Was it just a matter of time (old crank/9sp chain) Nate Nagel[_2_] Techniques 28 July 26th 13 09:01 PM
Refining choice for a shorter crank. Crank length selection and seat position. Steve Freides[_2_] Techniques 12 August 2nd 11 05:52 AM
Crank Length VS. Height and Weight or Does Size Really Matter? pdc Unicycling 8 September 15th 08 05:17 PM
Crank length RichVoice Unicycling 13 January 11th 06 01:02 AM
Crank Arm Length turkeytickler UK 23 January 12th 04 05:54 PM