how many bearings does a single speed bike have?

Old July 30th 17, 08:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default how many bearings does a single speed bike have?

On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 05:55:37 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Emanuel Berg wrote:

rear hub 3
crank/BB 2
pedals 2
front wheel 2
fork + 2
------
11

rear hub: 3 big, 1 small

I mean "2 big, 1 small". (You have to listen to
what I think, not what I type.) But it is
correct in the calculation so total remains 11.

The Torpedo 3 SP has 3 bearings as well,
2 big, 1 small, but it also has
a roller bearing.

The Shimano 3 SP seems to have 2 big bearings,
and 1 planet carrier, if that counts?

The Shimano casette freewheel seems to have
2 small bearings.

Given that the bearings you are counting are simply a bunch of balls
maybe you need to get down to fundamentals and count the balls
themselves.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old July 30th 17, 08:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 05:57:46 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. wrote:

Well, except for a "fixie" :-)

Indeed.

Does this (number of bearings) ever change save
for the rear hub?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmsWmx2wCyQ

If it doesn't, it would seem it is yet another
sign that the bike hasn't changed that much
thru the ages.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old July 30th 17, 09:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. wrote:

Given that the bearings you are counting are
simply a bunch of balls maybe you need to get
down to fundamentals and count the
balls themselves.

Great idea! Only... with the exception of the
branded rear hubs, do the balls really occur
with any regularity from bike to bike?

I know that in the front wheel hub sometimes
the balls run loose and sometimes they are in
a retainer.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old July 30th 17, 04:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/29/2017 10:55 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Emanuel Berg wrote:

rear hub 3
crank/BB 2
pedals 2
front wheel 2
fork + 2
------
11

rear hub: 3 big, 1 small

I mean "2 big, 1 small". (You have to listen to
what I think, not what I type.) But it is
correct in the calculation so total remains 11.

The Torpedo 3 SP has 3 bearings as well,
2 big, 1 small, but it also has
a roller bearing.

The Shimano 3 SP seems to have 2 big bearings,
and 1 planet carrier, if that counts?

The Shimano casette freewheel seems to have
2 small bearings.

There are no roller bearings in the F&S Torpedo Dreigang
gearbox.

http://www.scheunenfun.de/images/nab...ohnebremse.pdf
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 30th 17, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, July 29, 2017 at 9:01:10 PM UTC-4, Emanuel Berg wrote:
rear hub 3
crank/BB 2
pedals 2
front wheel 2
fork + 2
------
11

rear hub: 3 big, 1 small

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

You forgot the headset.

Cheers
Old July 30th 17, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/30/2017 3:45 AM, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 06:17:05 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:

Doesn't it have two pedals?

Yes, that's what it says: Pedals - 2

OK, now it should be correct:

rear hub 3
crank/BB 2
pedals 2*2=4
front wheel 2
fork + 2
------
13

Hey, maybe bikes aren't that simple after all?

Buy the cheaper pedals that have no bearings at all and you are down
to 9 bearings.

Well, a "plain bearing" is still a bearing, and a pedal does have two
bearings of one sort or another. One is at the crank side, one is at
the outside.

I suppose it's marginally possible to have only one deep groove ball
bearing at the axle side. The pedal would be loaded as a cantilever
beam, and you'd be hoping that the deep groove would resist the bending
moment. But I don't know of any that are done that way.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 30th 17, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

Sure you do:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/SH83D.JPG

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA...i_E_pedals.htm

p.s. a nylon block pedal spinning on a steel shaft is one
simple sleeve bearing.

Old July 30th 17, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

Although I once had a little-ridden recumbent trike with Shimano AX
pedals, I never dug into the oddball pedals. I knew they were
cantilevered, but I sort of assumed they used two single row bearings
side by side. (I didn't remember the Hi-E pedals at all.)

p.s. a nylon block pedal spinning on a steel shaft is one simple sleeve
bearing.

Do they have just a plain cylindrical bore? I'd have thought they'd be
molded so contact occurred only at the inboard and outboard ends of the
pedal spindle. Obviously, I've never cut one apart.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 30th 17, 10:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

p.s. a nylon block pedal spinning on a steel
shaft is one simple sleeve bearing.

There are one-bearing pedals, no doubt.

I don't know what is more common on "my" 70s
and 80s bikes because altho I've picked apart
a couple of pedals for fun, whenever there is
a problem I just buy a couple of new and throw
the old pair away.

Old July 30th 17, 10:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

You forgot the headset.

It is included in the "fork" line. "Head tube"
would perhaps be better...