Sunglasses

Old September 27th 19, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Sunglasses

On Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 7:10:46 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:

Another thing - as a cyclist you often ride from light to shadow and out into the bright sunlight again. Heavily tinted sunglasses makes the road turn totally invisible in these shadow conditions. California roads filled with potholes and broken whiskey bottles are not amiable to having your sight hindered.

This is one of my personal bugbears too. And in addition, polarised or heavily tinted glasses limit reading your meters (my HRM is important to me) dependant on the angle of the light.

Has anyone had any good luck with sunglasses lately?

Yes. About ten years agoI bought a set of German cycling glasses which could be fitted with prescription glasses and on which the outer acrylic lens curved around enough to give protection from the wind at up to 50kph. The were called something else then, but the brand is now, for some crazy reason, Shoptic. But the set I got is no longer available, as I discovered when I used the last of the two sets I bought and my optician couldn't get me spares. I used the orange lenses for daylight and the yellow shooter's lenses at night, and at night on the lanes where I would meet no opposing traffic, the clear lenses. The polaroid, dark brown and dark grey lenses were useless to a cyclist though good for flying. The modular frame from had curving, spring loaded earpieces that kept them on your head regardless. But I'll buy the Shoptic brand again, as they served me well for about twenty or thirty bucks per year, much, much less than the less capable but outrageously overpriced boutique brands you named.

Andre Jute
Look, look!
Old September 28th 19, 12:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Tom Kunich wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote
On 9/25/2019 12:00 AM, David Scheidt wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

:But once again, if a headlight illuminates even a mirror 1/4 mile
away, that :means a tiny portion of the light emitted has traveled
half a mile to return :to your eyeballs. Even with perfect
reflection, that should be impressive; and :it's pretty clear
evidence that your light will be conspicuous from far enough :away.

My pocket flashlight, on it's low setting, is a claimed 10 lumens.
It will make a stop sign glow from a mile away, if I'm somewhere
dark. That's not an exageration; I've done it. In a city, at night,
a light source like that will be totally lost in the background
light.

that's not saying your need a stupid 1000000 lumen light, just that
lighting up a retroreflective sign from a distance is a meaningless
test.

But put the statement in context, don't focus too much on one point.
After all, this headlight doesn't focus too much on one point.

This is not a laser pointer or a pinpoint beam flashlight. It's a
headlight designed for bicycle use. It illuminates the road nicely,
sufficiently for at _least_ a 25 mph descent. And at the same time, it
illuminates signs about 1/4 mile away.

If you wanted to talk about headlights and dynamos why didn't you start a
string for that? This was about sunglasses and hoe difficult they are to
get large enough to actually protect your eyes.

Blue-reflecting glasses can be sunglasses, blue-tinted glasses are not
functional sunglasses: OP went OT, first.
Old September 29th 19, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

A large component of indirect light is blue which is blocked by blue lenses.. How often do you look into the sun? What I find is that blue lenses block enough light without blocking the light-to-shadow to the point that you lose all perception of the road like you do with dark lenses.
Old October 2nd 19, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

OK, after trying these glasses out in high speed descents they still have a slight wind curling effect. But I can actually see without my vision being totally blocked with tears.

Talking to another one of the group who has a set of Smith glasses that are almost identical he says that he has the same problem. His idea is that any glasses that do not have a frame around them do the same thing. The old Oakley's used to cover almost all of you face area around your eyes and I suppose that is how they prevented it. Those same models are now a great deal smaller and they cost $239.

I also have a cheap set of Chinese rimmed blue lenses that I will try his ideas about.

The 300 quid sunglasses Simon Mason UK 0 November 14th 11 06:01 AM
Sunglasses RicodJour Racing 1 July 15th 10 03:49 AM
Sunglasses & Rx jalex General 13 March 18th 07 05:02 AM
Sunglasses Micheal Artindale Mountain Biking 9 June 9th 05 04:56 PM
Ebay sunglasses Rob UK 6 March 31st 05 09:00 PM