Near Miss of the Day 571: Driver makes very close and fast pass oncyclist descending country lane (includes swearing)

Old April 14th 21, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Near Miss of the Day 571: Driver makes very close and fast pass oncyclist descending country lane (includes swearing)

A driver making a very close pass at speed on a cyclist who is descending a country lane features in today’s video in our Near Miss of the Day series.

The incident happened in February near Basingstoke, Hampshire with George, the road.cc reader who submitted the clip, reporting it online on 20 February to Hampshire Constabulary.

He said the force “refuse to provide a reference number or any information whatsoever to the cycling victims of bad drivers reported to them using video evidence, contrary to their remit and the requirements of the justice system.”

Regarding the incident itself, he said: “I didn't know the driver was there as he held back for a while before accelerating past.

“I was travelling fast downhill so I was concentrating ahead and obviously not expecting a pass on such a narrow lane.

“I have had several similar passes on narrow lanes during lockdown for some reason,” he added.

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...ry-lane-282501
Old April 15th 21, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 14/04/2021 17:28, wrote:
A driver making a very close pass at speed on a cyclist who is
descending a country lane features in today’s video in our Near Miss
of the Day series.

The incident happened in February near Basingstoke, Hampshire with
George, the road.cc reader who submitted the clip, reporting it
online on 20 February to Hampshire Constabulary.

Perhaps the satnav decided that a narrow country lane was 3 yards
shorter than a perfectly good main road. I also assume the database
assumes that NSL is 60mph, no matter the road type.

My perception is that the traffic increase on country roads has not been
linear over the year and it has been rather sudden. Since I started
using a satnav, I discovered the possible explanation.