A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Well 2021

Old January 1st 21, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Well 2021

So today got up at 4am. Did some miles on treadmill and then road on the indoor trainer. The place in central illinois is a mess in worst ice storm in years. I crawled into Mass on my hands an knees to avoid falling it was that bad.

Guess no miles outside today.
Deacon Mark
Ads
Old January 1st 21, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Well 2021

On Friday, January 1, 2021 at 9:42:24 AM UTC-8, wrote:
So today got up at 4am. Did some miles on treadmill and then road on the indoor trainer. The place in central illinois is a mess in worst ice storm in years. I crawled into Mass on my hands an knees to avoid falling it was that bad.

Deacon Mark

I'm trying to work up the courage to go out in the cold and put in a 20 miler or more.
Old January 1st 21, 07:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Well 2021

Op vrijdag 1 januari 2021 om 18:46:03 UTC+1 schreef :

Deacon Mark

I'm trying to work up the courage to go out in the cold and put in a 20 miler or more.

According to my weather app it is 11-13 C in SF and dry. Come on Tom go out.. I rode 90 km in 2C today and it felt good. Watched cyclocross race afterwards. Mathieu Van de Poel (men) and Ceylin del Carmen Alvarado (ladies) won.. Both cyclecross World Champion, both Dutch. Well spent afternoon ;-) Love Belgium television and Eurosport.

Lou
Old January 1st 21, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Well 2021

On Friday, January 1, 2021 at 10:34:05 AM UTC-8, wrote:

Deacon Mark

According to my weather app it is 11-13 C in SF and dry. Come on Tom go out. I rode 90 km in 2C today and it felt good. Watched cyclocross race afterwards. Mathieu Van de Poel (men) and Ceylin del Carmen Alvarado (ladies) won. Both cyclecross World Champion, both Dutch. Well spent afternoon ;-) Love Belgium television and Eurosport.

It is 7 C with rain in the possible forecast. But I will probably ride.
Old January 1st 21, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Well 2021

Op vrijdag 1 januari 2021 om 19:39:01 UTC+1 schreef :
On Friday, January 1, 2021 at 10:34:05 AM UTC-8, wrote:

Deacon Mark

According to my weather app it is 11-13 C in SF and dry. Come on Tom go out. I rode 90 km in 2C today and it felt good. Watched cyclocross race afterwards. Mathieu Van de Poel (men) and Ceylin del Carmen Alvarado (ladies) won. Both cyclecross World Champion, both Dutch. Well spent afternoon ;-) Love Belgium television and Eurosport.

It is 7 C with rain in the possible forecast. But I will probably ride.

OK it is a free weather app ;-)

Lou
Old January 1st 21, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.
external usenet poster

Default Well 2021

On 1/1/2021 9:42 AM, Mark Cleary wrote:

Deacon Mark

Ice around here is rare, but when it comes, it's everywhere and thick.
I got a pair of the rubber-bands-and-studs grippers that you strap to
your shoes, they make a world of difference. Just remember to take 'em
off before you go inside on the hardwood floors.

Mark J.
Old January 1st 21, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

Default Well 2021

On 1/1/2021 11:42 AM, Mark Cleary wrote:

Deacon Mark

Rideable roads here and not bitterly cold but he wind was
very humid and just pierced.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old January 1st 21, 10:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bertrand[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Well 2021

According to my weather app it is 11-13 C in SF and dry. Come on Tom go out. I rode 90 km in 2C today and it felt good.

A friend in the Bay Area once posted a ride on Strava with "bitter cold" in the
title. I checked and it was 50F = 10 C. And I remember in Southern California
starting a ride on a sunny morning at around 60F = 15C, and warming up quickly,
and seeing local riders in tights and jackets. I guess it depends on what
you're used to.
Old January 1st 21, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

Default Well 2021

On Friday, January 1, 2021 at 1:08:32 PM UTC-8, Bertrand wrote:

According to my weather app it is 11-13 C in SF and dry. Come on Tom go out. I rode 90 km in 2C today and it felt good.

you're used to.

Yes, and for Tom, today in Oakland it was low 46F and high 56F -- unbelievably cold. Brrrrr. It's like Minnesota.

I was sweating in my rain gear here in Portland at 48-52F. Sore knees, hung over and COVID fat, I did maybe 40 miles out along the Clackamas River and back home. It was wet and dreary but unseasonably warm, and it didn't start raining in earnest until I was maybe five miles from home, which at least justified being all dressed up for rain. This morning, I was comfortable in a sweatshirt out in the front yard taking down Christmas lights. I hate it when the holidays are over.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 1st 21, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster

Default Well 2021

On Friday, January 1, 2021 at 5:48:49 p.m. UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, January 1, 2021 at 1:08:32 PM UTC-8, Bertrand wrote:

you're used to.

Yes, and for Tom, today in Oakland it was low 46F and high 56F -- unbelievably cold. Brrrrr. It's like Minnesota.

I was sweating in my rain gear here in Portland at 48-52F. Sore knees, hung over and COVID fat, I did maybe 40 miles out along the Clackamas River and back home. It was wet and dreary but unseasonably warm, and it didn't start raining in earnest until I was maybe five miles from home, which at least justified being all dressed up for rain. This morning, I was comfortable in a sweatshirt out in the front yard taking down Christmas lights. I hate it when the holidays are over.

-- Jay Beattie.

Freezing rain here today. Therefore I reduced the air pressure on my 26" x 2.0" knobby tires on my MTB. Riding on that isn't too bad but you need to keep a careful eye on motor vehicle traffic although today there wasn't much of it.

Cheers