Any Success Replacing Pads in Shorts?

Old October 2nd 11, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace
David White[_2_]

Default Any Success Replacing Pads in Shorts?

Some of my pretty old Castelli, Progetto-Y bib shorts and knickers with
the perforated, red, synthetic leather pad are suffering from the slow
demise of the pad. The synthetic leater begins to split between adjacent
perforations in the areas most flexed and riding with this leads to
chaffing in sensitive areas. The garments themselves are in pretty
decent shape. Only the pad is troublesome.

So the question is: anyone have any success in getting the pads replaced
in their lycra shorts? I see that these
http://store.aerotechdesigns.com/rebishchcrpa.html folks offer
individual pads for replacement use. And I see that Kucharik
http://www.kucharikclothing.com/repairs.php offers both individual
pads and a service to perform the replacement. Perhaps there are others
too? Has anyone had any experience and can shed some light onto how
feasible this all is?

Thanks
Old October 2nd 11, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace
kolldata

TAKE A LOOK AT NEOPRENE maybe from Sweet Composites.

also workable - cover saddle with a plastic grocery bag.
Old October 2nd 11, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace
kolldata

On Oct 1, 5:01*pm, David White wrote:
[...]

try neoprene maybe from SWEET COMPOSITES

try covering saddle with plastic grocery bag and neo if tried with a
similar slippery material.

slipperiness works as well as softness maybe better.
Old October 2nd 11, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Dan O

[...]

I have a couple pair of Nashbar shorts where the pad edge split about
1/2 cm at perimeter stitches. Then these splits would nip at my inner
thighs like the sharp pincers of ants in my pants - very bothersome.

Don't know if this fits the nature of your problem, but what I did was
to round and contour the ends of the splits using the little scissors
of my Swiss Army knife. This greatly eliminated the nipping. They're
still not my favorite shorts, but well tolerable.

Old October 4th 11, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Scott Gordo

Do I remember those pads being 'welded' (ie glued or melted or
whatever) onto the lycra? Or is it just sewn on?
Old October 4th 11, 04:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace
David White[_2_]

Scott Gordo wrote:
Do I remember those pads being 'welded' (ie glued or melted or
whatever) onto the lycra? Or is it just sewn on?

I do have a couple pair of shorts with melted-on pads. But the ones I am
talking about are sewn with some form of zig-zag stiching - very secure.
Old October 4th 11, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace
kolldata

On Oct 4, 8:20*am, David White wrote:
Scott Gordo wrote:
Do I remember those pads being 'welded' (ie glued or melted or
whatever) onto the lycra? Or is it just sewn on?

I do have a couple pair of shorts with melted-on pads. But the ones I am
talking about are sewn with some form of zig-zag stiching - very secure.

HAVE YOU LOCATED A SOURCE FOR GEL FOAM PADDING ?
Old October 4th 11, 04:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace
David White[_2_]

Scott Gordo wrote:
Do I remember those pads being 'welded' (ie glued or melted or
whatever) onto the lycra? Or is it just sewn on?

I do have a couple pair of shorts with melted-on pads. But the ones I am
talking about are sewn with some form of zig-zag stiching - very secure.

HAVE YOU LOCATED A SOURCE FOR GEL FOAM PADDING ?

This
http://www.kucharikclothing.com/we-replace-pad-aerotech-mlp-with-gel-pad-p-573.html
is the only replacement pad I have found thus far which says it has gel
in it. I haven't owned any shorts with gel pads so I have no ability to
comment further. Cheers!
Old October 4th 11, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace
kolldata

Scott Gordo wrote:
Do I remember those pads being 'welded' (ie glued or melted or
whatever) onto the lycra? Or is it just sewn on?
I do have a couple pair of shorts with melted-on pads. But the ones I am
talking about are sewn with some form of zig-zag stiching - very secure.

HAVE YOU LOCATED A SOURCE FOR GEL FOAM PADDING ?

This
http://www.kucharikclothing.com/we-replace-pad-aerotech-mlp-with-gel-...
is the only replacement pad I have found thus far which says it has gel
in it. I haven't owned any shorts with gel pads so I have no ability to
comment further. Cheers!

looking for gel foam yields medical information. ?!