Monkey crash almost derails cyclist’s title hopes

Old September 2nd 13, 11:49 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default Monkey crash almost derails cyclist’s title hopes

No mention of how the monkeys fared! I guess they are just objects (like hikers) in the mountain bikers' way....

Mike

http://www.iol.co.za/sport/cycling/m...2#.UiFh_r7n_IU

Monkey crash almost derails cyclist’s title hopes

August 30 2013 at 10:09am
By Reuters

This file photo shows an adult vervet monkey holding a young one in the trees at Phinda Private Game Reserve, near the town of Hluhluwe in Kwazulu-Natal. Pictu AP Photo/Matthew Craft

Sydney * Australian mountain biker Daniel McConnell's dreams of winning a world title on Saturday were almost shattered in extraordinary fashion last week when he collided with a troop of monkeys while training in South Africa.

McConnell, who finished 21st in the men's cross country at last year's London Olympics, was surprised by the local fauna while training near the Pietermaritzburg course where the world championships take place this weekend.

The tumble left the 28-year-old Trek Factory Racing with a bruised shoulder and skin wounds on both hands, which at one stage looked like preventing him from participating in Saturday's cross country race.

"For a while I didn't think I would start, but now I am, I am going to give it everything," McConnell said in a Cycling Australia media release.

"The body is okay on the course, I have a fair bit of skin off, but I have got a few laps in now and am starting to feel very confident on the course."

Victory in opening round of the World Cup series * the first Australian to win a leg since Tour de France winner Cadel Evans 13 years ago * and fifth place in the last round in Canada have put him in third in the overall UCI MTB and Trials standings.

"It has been a bit of a dream season," he added. "I had only had the one top 20 finish coming into the season and have now been on the podium twice and a sixth place too, so the consistency is there.

"I would love to think winning is a possibility here, but it hasn't been the smoothest lead into the race, but on the other side, I have also had some really good training leading in." * Reuters

Monkey, monkey, monkey... right click... mark newsgroup read. James[_8_] Techniques 2 November 27th 12 12:16 AM
cyclist saved by crash hat Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 47 January 18th 11 05:25 PM
Cyclist crash Blanchy Australia 4 March 7th 06 12:55 AM
New contender for Crash Bandicoot title Andrew Australia 3 February 17th 06 02:15 AM
Crash Suit for Cyclist yourbuddy UK 0 December 19th 05 10:18 AM