road bike wear and tear distances??

Old October 16th 07, 05:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default road bike wear and tear distances??

Hello,
Just woundering what the standard is on replacing road bikes is
Here is what i have found myself so far:
tyres: 4,500km
wheels trued: 2,000km
new chain 4,000km, as LBS said i will need a new back sprocket at
8,000km, so if i change my chain now slightly early it will be ready
to change agian when the back cog is ready.
handle bar tape: 3,000 km but it depends how hot and hilly.
rims?
pedals?
Cleats?
elbow pads on aero bars?
cables?
brake pads? 30% hills, and 80% of traffic light action.
seat?
frame?
forks
whole bike? does this depend on how you ride/ what you ride on/ amount
of hill climbing/ amount of sh1ty roads?? What is the worst everyday
treatment that will age a bike the quickest? potholes?

How many km's do you do per week/ per year?

Old October 16th 07, 05:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bugbear

My stats after my first year of commuting (7000km), brand new bike,
mostly bike paths, not too much stopping and starting. All weather
(except hail and thunderstorms!!!)

Tyres - about 4000km
Tubes - averaging 1 puncture every frikking week (at least it feels
like it). Time to get those thicker puncture resistant tubes...
Wheel trueing - I give the wheel an eyeball every couple of weeks and
adjust the spokes accordingly. Haven't needed to make any adjustments
in this area for 4 months or so now.
Chain - 4500km
Cogs - planning on replacing with chain at 9000km
Rims - still going strong
Pedals - still going strong
Cleats - looking a bit shabby after 6000km. Even still, I might try
and get another 4000km out of them.
Elbow pads - I've got about 4000km on my current set. Still looking
good. Not considering replacing at this stage.
Cables - haven't replaced these yet. Still moving freely. I'll
probably also replace the cable housing when the time comes.
Brake pads - every 2000km
Seat - still going strong
Frame - still going strong
Forks - still going strong
Bike - when I save up about $2K to splash on a proper road bike (n+1)!!

Old October 16th 07, 06:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Duncan

On Oct 16, 2:13 pm, wrote:
tyres: 4,500km

4-5k

wheels trued: 2,000km

only when I whack something

new chain 4,000km, as LBS said i will need a new back sprocket at
8,000km, so if i change my chain now slightly early it will be ready
to change agian when the back cog is ready.

probably the same.

handle bar tape: 3,000 km but it depends how hot and hilly.

Tape.. usually only if I scrape something.Good quality cork.

rims?
pedals?
Cleats?

not yet

cables?

never.. unless they fray. Squirt of suitable lubricant down the tubes
will revive them.

brake pads?

probably same as tyres. 4-5k

30% hills, and 80% of traffic light action.
seat?

nope. looks ratty from a couple of falls, but still works ok where it
counts.

frame?
forks

not yet. second hand bike, I've got probably 30k and counting on it.

whole bike? does this depend on how you ride/ what you ride on/ amount
of hill climbing/ amount of sh1ty roads?? What is the worst everyday
treatment that will age a bike the quickest? potholes?

For tyres/chain/rims/brake pads. It's definitely water + road grime.
I used to ride past a concrete recyclers (thackarey st bridge,
anyone?) and the wear from 1 block of riding through that **** in the
wet was unbelievable. Like soaking your chain in abrasive powder.

Potholes tend to do repairable damage (unless huge): pinch flats and
out-of-round rims.

How many km's do you do per week/ per year?

Average 200k/week (purely commuting). Probably 9.5k/year.

Old October 16th 07, 09:09 AM posted to aus.bicycle

how do you tell when your pads are worn out?

Old October 16th 07, 09:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle

never really thought about my brake pads, they still seem to work.
Do they have indicators, like when the 2 grooves run out?
So far i have just kept tightening my cables, my LBS has not said
anyhting when it was in for a service.
how much pad should i be looking for b4 i change?