I get 3 miles per banana, do you?

Old March 23rd 09, 02:55 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default I get 3 miles per banana, do you?

This is where my data comes from...

(Specialized catalog)

"100 calories can power a cyclist for three miles; 100 calories can
power a car 280 feet"

And since a banana has roughly 100 calories, then you can go 3 miles
per banana.

But if you drive a car to the supermarket, then you can only run 1
block...

So after making sure all my numbers are correct, I'm off to work on my
next t-shirt...

"I get 3 miles per banana, do you?"

NOTE: This efficiency ratio (30:1) demonstrates that all those wasted
calories go to feed some hungry predators, or corporations wich
capitalize on your lazyness, fear factor and, perhaps, poor arithmetic
skills. For example, when I went to the supermarket this morning I did
two miles or roughly 2/3 of a banana.

We can further rationalize that the banana went to feed some hungry
farmer in Central America, and not some Arab sheik. Of course, a
hungry farmer often ends up coming to America. Think about it.

A jungle perspective on nonviolence: a violent struggle by the weak
against the predator needs secrecy, nonviolent struggle though has
been used by the monkeys for ages: MAKING NOISE.

http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution
Old March 23rd 09, 03:03 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message
This is where my data comes from...

(Specialized catalog)

"100 calories can power a cyclist for three miles; 100 calories can
power a car 280 feet"

And since a banana has roughly 100 calories, then you can go 3 miles
per banana.

But if you drive a car to the supermarket, then you can only run 1
block...

So after making sure all my numbers are correct, I'm off to work on my
next t-shirt...

"I get 3 miles per banana, do you?"

You have got to allow for the diesel burned by the ship from Trinidad as
well.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old March 23rd 09, 04:16 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Light of Aria[_2_]

"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message
This is where my data comes from...

(Specialized catalog)

"100 calories can power a cyclist for three miles; 100 calories can
power a car 280 feet"

And since a banana has roughly 100 calories, then you can go 3 miles
per banana.

But if you drive a car to the supermarket, then you can only run 1
block...

So after making sure all my numbers are correct, I'm off to work on my
next t-shirt...

"I get 3 miles per banana, do you?"

Heart rate monitor says I can do 100 Kilocalories in about 6 minutes. That
gets me about 3 miles / 4.8KM give or take.

Sounds about right to me.

Old March 23rd 09, 04:49 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Leo Lichtman[_2_]

When I asked my dealer for a conversion kit to run my scooter on bananas, he
just stared at me.

Old March 23rd 09, 05:34 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Peter Rathmann

On Mar 23, 6:55*am, ComandanteBanana
wrote:
This is where my data comes from...

(Specialized catalog)

"100 calories can power a cyclist for three miles; 100 calories can
power a car 280 feet"

And since a banana has roughly 100 calories, then you can go 3 miles
per banana.

Looks about right for the cyclist but a little low for my car assuming
those numbers are really kcal. or Calories rather than calories. I
once input the numbers for a moderate century ride into a spreadsheet
I had for cycling efficiency and got about 3000 extra kcalories above
basal metabolism to complete the ride, so that's about 90 kcalories
for 3 miles. Obviously the number will vary depending on the cyclist,
the bike, and the terrain/wind.

100 kcal./280' is equivalent to about 16 mpg which is much less than
our personal vehicles get but correct for many cars and trucks that
are used as cars.
Old March 23rd 09, 05:48 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Mar 23, 10:03*am, "Simon Mason"
wrote:
"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message

This is where my data comes from...

(Specialized catalog)

"100 calories can power a cyclist for three miles; 100 calories can
power a car 280 feet"

And since a banana has roughly 100 calories, then you can go 3 miles
per banana.

But if you drive a car to the supermarket, then you can only run 1
block...

So after making sure all my numbers are correct, I'm off to work on my
next t-shirt...

"I get 3 miles per banana, do you?"

You have got to allow for the diesel burned by the ship from Trinidad as
well.

--
Simon Masonhttp://www.simonmason.karoo.net/- Hide quoted text -

Maybe it came by sailing ship.

I think boating can easily go energy free. Zero calories.
Old March 23rd 09, 05:49 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Mar 23, 11:49*am, "Leo Lichtman" wrote:
When I asked my dealer for a conversion kit to run my scooter on bananas, he
just stared at me.

Maybe you've got to explain yourself first.
Old March 23rd 09, 05:52 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

wrote:

[...]

I knew there was real science behind it.

Good thing OIL IS SUBSIDIZED or else they would need a lot of bananas
just to get to the supermarket.
Old March 23rd 09, 06:37 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Mar 23, 12:48*pm, ComandanteBanana
wrote:
On Mar 23, 10:03*am, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message

This is where my data comes from...

(Specialized catalog)

"100 calories can power a cyclist for three miles; 100 calories can
power a car 280 feet"

And since a banana has roughly 100 calories, then you can go 3 miles
per banana.

But if you drive a car to the supermarket, then you can only run 1
block...

So after making sure all my numbers are correct, I'm off to work on my
next t-shirt...

"I get 3 miles per banana, do you?"

You have got to allow for the diesel burned by the ship from Trinidad as
well.

--
Simon Masonhttp://www.simonmason.karoo.net/-Hide quoted text -

Maybe it came by sailing ship.

I think boating can easily go energy free. Zero calories.- Hide quoted text -

And I should add that shipping would work against cars since most of
the oil comes from the Middle East/Africa.

Anyway, calories can come from local sources like corn. I like it corn-
on-the-cob.
Old March 24th 09, 02:52 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"Simon Mason" wrote:

"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message
This is where my data comes from...

(Specialized catalog)

"100 calories can power a cyclist for three miles; 100 calories can
power a car 280 feet"

And since a banana has roughly 100 calories, then you can go 3 miles
per banana.

But if you drive a car to the supermarket, then you can only run 1
block...

So after making sure all my numbers are correct, I'm off to work on my
next t-shirt...

"I get 3 miles per banana, do you?"

You have got to allow for the diesel burned by the ship from Trinidad as
well.

I once calculated it for watermelons, and it takes about a third of a
litre of diesel to move a watermelon across the Pacific Ocean. I believe
rail transport is even more fuel-efficient.

http://vancouver.metblogs.com/2008/0...-not-want-not/

Yes, it is easily possible to use more gas getting fruit from the store
to your house than it took to get it from the field to the produce
aisle. That this isn't an obvious result is a bit surprising to me: you
can't spend much on fuel when the fruit costs less than a dollar at
retail.